Amanda Knox

oralloy

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 09:16 am
@nydia2013,
nydia2013 wrote:
Amanda knew the African Bar owner as she did part time work for him. The deliberate lying against this man gives us a deep insight into the moral fiber of this female.

Amanda's statements were involuntary, and thus not deliberate. And since lies require intent, her statements were also not lies.

Lumumba, however, has repeatedly lied in the press about Amanda. So there is an example of low morals.

Karma struck back against him though, as he ended up losing his bar.

Karma struck back against the Kerchers as well. With their efforts to prevent innocent people from getting a fair trial, they managed to keep two innocent people in prison for two more years. But Amanda and Raffaele were given mitigating circumstances leading to a reduced sentence.

And that meant Guede had to also be given the same mitigating circumstances and reduced sentence. The courts were pretending that all were in on it together, and they couldn't very well treat the non-white defendant more harshly than the white defendants.

That reduced Guede's sentence to the point where he is now less than three years from what passes for parole in Italy (they'll let him free during the day, but he has to return to prison at night).

nydia2013 wrote:
I also believe the woman to be guilty;

The evidence, though, has been clear from the beginning that she and Raffaele are innocent.

nydia2013 wrote:
she was on drugs the night of the killing

She was smoking pot with her boyfriend. But that had nothing to do with the murder.

nydia2013 wrote:
and I believe she was involved in kinky sex.

The evidence is clear that she wasn't.

nydia2013 wrote:
Being under the influence one's judgement is often at a disadvantage with the mind distorting things....our thinking is not clear.

Spending the night watching movies with her boyfriend wasn't something that required high caliber thinking with a clear head. It wasn't like she was operating dangerous machinery or anything.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 09:35 am

For what it's worth, oral arguments for the appeal before Cassation will be Monday March 25 (next week).

The way their system works, the court has already been studying the evidence and the written claims from each side for quite some time now, and the ruling will come soon after oral arguments -- maybe even on the same day (and if not, then almost certainly the next day).

There are really three possible outcomes:

a) They uphold the status quo, at which point Amanda appeals her slander conviction to the European Court of Human Rights.

b) They overturn her slander conviction. Amanda might still appeal to the European Court of Human Rights, to get greater than usual compensation due to all the civil rights violations she suffered.

c) They order it back down to a lower court for a new trial. Don't expect the US to extradite. And maybe we could give Raffaele and family political asylum?
oralloy

Sat 23 Mar, 2013 06:40 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
For what it's worth, oral arguments for the appeal before Cassation will be Monday March 25

I hope Raffaele has the good sense to get out of Italy for now. I'll be devastated if he ends up back in prison next week.

Perhaps the US can offer him asylum?
oralloy

Sat 23 Mar, 2013 06:45 pm
Quote:
Actress Hayden Panettiere has apologized to the family of murder victim Meredith Kercher after portraying her accused killer Amanda Knox onscreen.

The Heroes star took the role of Knox in controversial 2011 TV movie Amanda Knox: Murder on Trial in Italy while the American student was still in jail for the slaying.

Knox was set free later that year after a court in Italy overturned the verdict and quashed her murder conviction, and Panettiere has now spoken out to offer her sympathies to Kercher's family for any heartache her movie caused.

Panettiere tells British magazine Stella, "I can completely understand the feelings of the Kercher family... I apologize deeply for any pain that was inflicted. But I didn't do anything out of disrespect."

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/18/amanda-knox-film-hayden-panettiere-apologizes-to-murder-victims-family

I don't have anything to say about Hayden Panettiere that would be at all appropriate for A2K. Mad
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 23 Mar, 2013 09:46 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
oralloy wrote:
For what it's worth, oral arguments for the appeal before Cassation will be Monday March 25

I hope Raffaele has the good sense to get out of Italy for now. I'll be devastated if he ends up back in prison next week.

Perhaps the US can offer him asylum?

Good. He's waiting for the results in London. Very Happy
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 25 Mar, 2013 01:36 pm

Ruling from Cassation is expected half an hour from now (unexpected delays are possible though).
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 25 Mar, 2013 02:13 pm

Looks like their 9:00 PM announcement (Italian time; right now) was just to say that they will announce the ruling at 10 AM (Italian time) tomorrow???

Or am I misunderstanding???

EDIT: No, I guess that was right.

I don't know why they couldn't just tell everyone 10 AM tomorrow from the start, instead of telling everyone to come in at 9 PM just to tell them to come in at 10 AM.

Rolling Eyes
Walter Hinteler

Mon 25 Mar, 2013 02:58 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I don't know why they couldn't just tell everyone 10 AM tomorrow from the start, instead of telling everyone to come in at 9 PM just to tell them to come in at 10 AM.
Because normally the high court issues the decisions the same day it hears arguments.
0 Replies

contrex

Mon 25 Mar, 2013 04:40 pm
If they decide to re-try her guilty ass I'm throwing a PARTY!!!!
oralloy

Mon 25 Mar, 2013 05:50 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
If they decide to re-try her guilty ass I'm throwing a PARTY!!!!

Stop lying, scumball. The evidence has been clear from the beginning that she and Raffaele are innocent.

As for a retrial, the only thing they will achieve by another trial is to further expose how much of a third-world hellhole Italy is.

Amanda will not be in any jeopardy from a retrial (we don't extradite innocent people to third-world hellholes with a history of human rights violations).

It would be a nice gesture if we offered asylum to Raffaele though.

I'm actually not sure what will be the most favorable outcome tomorrow.

I can see how it would be nice for this stage of the process to be over so Amanda and Raffaele can start suing Italy for many millions of Euros in the European Court of Human Rights.

But on the other hand, Amanda's book is about to come out. A retrial could end up selling a lot of books, for both Amanda and Raffaele.

And then, after Italy has thoroughly exposed what a bunch of deranged freaks they all are, and after Amanda and Raffaele have sold lots and lots of books, they will still be able to sue Italy in the European Court of Human Rights.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 25 Mar, 2013 11:42 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I can see how it would be nice for this stage of the process to be over so Amanda and Raffaele can start suing Italy for many millions of Euros in the European Court of Human Rights.
Suing for many Euros at the Court of Human Rights? Did they change the statutes?
oralloy

Tue 26 Mar, 2013 02:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Suing for many Euros at the Court of Human Rights? Did they change the statutes?

No change. They still allow people to sue when they've suffered grievous human rights violations.

(And it's about 20 minutes until 10 AM Italy time.)
oralloy

Tue 26 Mar, 2013 03:02 am

Cassation Orders a New Trial
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 26 Mar, 2013 05:04 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

No change. They still allow people to sue when they've suffered grievous human rights violations.
No, the courts decide, if one or more of the human rights of the European Convention on Human Rights have been breached.
oralloy

Tue 26 Mar, 2013 05:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
No, the courts decide, if one or more of the human rights of the European Convention on Human Rights have been breached.

People are only allowed to sue if a court first comes to them and tells them that their rights have been violated???
Walter Hinteler

Tue 26 Mar, 2013 07:04 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

People are only allowed to sue if a court first comes to them and tells them that their rights have been violated???
No. And I didn't write such, didn't I?
oralloy

Tue 26 Mar, 2013 07:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

No.

OK then. As soon as the circus in Italy is over, Amanda and Raffaele will be able to sue Italy in the European Court of Human Rights over all the human rights violations they have suffered.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
And I didn't write such, didn't I?

I don't know. It was the only interpretation of your comment that I could come up with.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 26 Mar, 2013 07:59 am
Knox acquittal overturned

http://www.sfgate.com/local/article/Amanda-Knox-to-be-retried-Italy-s-high-court-4382179.php
McTag

Tue 26 Mar, 2013 08:44 am
@ossobuco,
Guilty! Probably. Will she attend the trial?
ossobuco

Tue 26 Mar, 2013 08:49 am
@McTag,
I still don't "know" - see the starting post of the thread re my first thoughts. Different prosecutor, high ranked judge on the panel that decided for retrial, lots of witness types not considered in second verdict.
0 Replies