School bans word - "meep"

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:13 pm
What is "meep" -- apparently started with the 1980s Muppet character Beaker and is causing a lot of teeth-gnashing for adults at one Massachusetts high school. They have gone so far as to threaten suspension for students caught meeping.

The Prinicpal of this school sent automated calls to parents, warning them of the possible punishment after administrators learned that students were conspiring online to mass-meep.

What does this word mean? Means whatever you want it to mean - at least according to the Urban dictionary.

What would you do as a parent if you received such a call from the principal? Honestly I would have thought the call was a joke. This just makes meeping much more important and fun for the kids.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 22 • Views: 8,104 • Replies: 89

chai2

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:17 pm
I thought meep was from Monty Python.

Oh wait, that's the Knights who say "Nee!"
chai2

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:19 pm
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:34 pm
@chai2,
Well that clarifies why meep should be banned.

Here is the article in case you are in disbelief of this harmful word..

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/meep-nonsense-word-students-hot-water/story?id=9054266
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:37 pm
Words only mean something in context.

If I called you a meep, or told you to meep off or said who gives a meep... pointless word, "vulgar" in context. Just another example of people having a fit over words.
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:42 pm
@McGentrix,
well meep you!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:46 pm
@chai2,
I thought it was Roadrunner. (Wile E. Coyote thinks he's got 'im, then he runs by and says "meep meep!")

Banning the word -- oof.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:47 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Just another example of people having a fit over words.

Yep, another example of idiot do-gooders who insist on trying to make reality conform to their desires by regulating language, by force. These are the new dark ages.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:50 pm
@sozobe,
Roadrunner says "beep beep".

I think it's the sort of endless chant that's being banned, not really the word itself. Apparently the kids get into a bit of frenzy when one kid says "meep" and all the others chime in. I could see how that could be annoying, but hardly news worthy.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:53 pm
@Linkat,
I believe "meep" is the refrain from the road runner! Outdates Beaker by several decades!

The coyote finally gets to censure the road runner! Is he the area superintendent?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:55 pm
@sozobe,
Roadrunners beep beep is meep meep if you listen closely but these kids are meeping the heart and spirit of the muppets.
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:58 pm
@Green Witch,
Yeah, but haven't kids been doing this sort of crap for years. Not necessarily meep, but other sounds or other annoying things. To me it makes more sense to let is slide than make such a fuss over it. Making such a fuss is what the kids are trying to do - so the teachers are just feeding the frenzy. All the kids need to do is say yap of some other made up word instead.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

@Linkat,
Quote:

Roadrunners beep beep is meep meep if you listen closely but these kids are meeping the heart and spirit of the muppets.

and they MUST be crushed! Fun is not allowed in school.
tsarstepan

@Linkat,
Well aren't there worse role models in the world to follow then the muppets?
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
If I was teacher - and the kids started meeping, I'd probably join in - that would make it uncool and the meeping would immediately stop.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
Honestly I think it is quite funny - I going to start meeping right here at my desk.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:00 pm
So I finally read the article you linked to, Linkat.

Lotta sensationalism on the part of ABC News, I think. Much ado about nothing here.

The school principal has explained quite plainly that the ban has nothing at all to do with the word 'meep.' It seems that current use of the word sets of a chain reaction and, inevitably and invariably, leads to a major disruption in the school day. And that, he says, is all he is trying to prevent.

Read the article for yourselves. In its entirety.
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes - just about any celebrity or sports figure. At least this Mr. Beaker is a scientist.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:01 pm
I love the zen like simplicity of the following urban dictionary definition:
Quote:
meep 250 up, 35 down

Meep : Sums up everything.
Mr.Smith: Why didn't you do your homwork assginment tonight Jefferey?
Jefferey: Meep.
Mr.Smith: I see I see.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:08 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
It seems that current use of the word sets of a chain reaction and, inevitably and invariably, leads to a major disruption in the school day. And that, he says, is all he is trying to prevent

And threatening punishment and calling the parents to reinforce the threat is "nothing" to you......

To me such a drastic law and order response indicates that the principal has lost control of his school. My first reaction if I was a parent that got this call would be to investigate if it is time to get a new Principal.