School bans word - "meep"

Thomas

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 03:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
No offense, Stepan, but you're old. Those youngsters will never figure it out.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 04:04 pm
@Thomas,
Ehh sonnie?! What's that ya wrote ... I can't read the text... seemed to misplace my reading spectacles.... And GET OFF ME LAWN! <<Grumble grumble grumble>>
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 08:00 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I'd almost like to ban the word 'like' when it's used thusly:

'And like I told her, like I'm not going to her party because like she didn't invite like any of my really good friends and like I don't know like any of the people she DID invite and like I'm just not interested.'

I'm like ( Laughing ), NOT exaggerating....this is part of an actual conversation between my daughter and her friend (thank god it was the friend who was speaking - I just turned up my ipod so I could refrain from asking her to please, please, PLEASE stop saying, 'like' (which I do ask my daughter and son to try to be cognizant of all the time- but I have the right to do that - they're my own kids).
I remember in the 1950s, the Beatniks used to do that.
I seem vaguely to remember hearing some philosophical justification for it, tho I don 't remember their point.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 08:03 am
@jjorge,
jjorge wrote:

When I quit school to join the Marines at seventeen, one of my favorite teachers (who liked me even though I was a smart-ass) said to me, "The hardest thing for you is going to be when you discover that you have to take orders from someone who is not as smart as you." She was right of course but one could make the argument that the worst teachers and school administrators fall into the same category -- stupid but in charge.

The best teachers and administrators don't see school as a battle field or student silliness as a declaration of war.
In retrospect, was that a good decision
to quit high school at 17 to join the Marines ?

David
jjorge

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 10:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDavid, The logical answer would seem to be, 'No', but truth be told it WAS right for me.

I was very rebellious and undisciplined. In my sophmore year I flunked all my subjects --only to have the guidance counselor negotiate their change to just-barely-passing in return for my promise to do better the following year.

That was an agreement which I promptly broke, skipping school over eighty times and turning in virtually no homework in my junior year.
My despairing parents, both high school dropouts themselves, didn't know what to do. Rather than returning to repeat my Junior year I proposed to my parents that I join the six month reserve (ie. six months active duty followed by six and a half years of reserve duty). My father agreed to sign for me but only with the proviso that I go in the military for three years active. While I was mulling this over two friends signed up for the Marine Corps (four year enlistments) and urged me to join them in the 'Buddy System'. I did.

The Marine Corps is a high risk--high gain proposition for acting out adolescents. If they are too stubborn or anti-authoritarian it can lead to boot camp washouts, bad discharges, personal humiliation, and a downward spiral. For others like me, it can be a character building experience --or at least it 'grows you up' fast!

In the Marines I read voraciously, took high school and first year college level GED's, did well on the college entrance boards, and managed to convince a college to take a chance on me. four years after finishing undergraduate school I completed a Master of Social Work degree and subsequently had a reasonably successful, thirty-five year, career in the mental health field.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 10:54 am
@aidan,
I heard myself saying 'like' in unapproved ways this last week. No, no, no, my brain has been infiltrated by the million and one likes my eyes have read or ears have heard. With what dismay do I admit this! It'll, y'know, be hard to excise.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 11:43 am
@Merry Andrew,
What the h*ll did I start?!!!
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 11:52 am
@Linkat,
BWAHAA HAA HAA HAA HA! BWA HAA HAAA HAA HAAAR HAR! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 02:37 pm
@Linkat,

A school cannot have jurisdiction
for events that do not occur upon its premises or under its aegis.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 09:12 am
@Linkat,

Was it established that the meeping in question
was going to be done on the school's real estate ?

Does the school claim to have control of students
during off hours, off of school property ?
0 Replies