School bans word - "meep"

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
To me such a drastic law and order response indicates that the principal has lost control of his school. My first reaction if I was a parent that got this call would be to investigate if it is time to get a new Principal.

That would, of course, be your right and your prerogative. But, please, do read what the principal said. I can't say whether or not I agree with his actions. After all, I'm not there and don't know the exact circumstances. But I do understand his concerns and sympathize with them.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:13 pm
Banning something never works with adolescents. If they want it to stop, the school could do what schools always to to suck the joy out of anything. They should make it an assignment.

Mandatory meep rally, maybe a morning Meep of Alliegence.

That would stop the behavior in about 3 days.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Calling parents is a drastic law and order response? Good grief, you sound like a baby of the 1970's or 1980's.

I'm not all wound up about the meep phenomenon - but letting parents knows that their kids are in danger of becoming lemmings isn't necessarily a bad thing.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:18 pm
@ehBeth,
I would actually have to agree with hawkeye10 on this issue. It's quite an overkill reaction to call the child's parents for such an isolated incident. If the child has a history of being a nuisance and a constant disruption? Then the parents should be informed of the erratic/unwanted behavior.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:19 pm
this is just an example of the decadence that our youth have fallen to. In my day the most severe behavior was the spitting of sunflower seed hulls, we didn't do no meeping, we never even considered meeping and we never had to lock our doors either. the end is near and meeping is our first omen.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:21 pm
@ebrown p,
Have the students write a major sociology essay on the semantics and etymology of the word, meep, (with full on footnotes and an annotated bibliography)!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
Seriously - I think parents should be responsible for their children - and one way to do that is to make sure that they are notified when their kids are being idiots. By the time there's a "history", it's generally too late.

I think schools need to push back on parents who don't want to handle their children's socialization.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:22 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
But I do understand his concerns and sympathize with them.

the concern about student lead disruptions negatively impacting the learning experience is justified, and I also sympathize with his desire to promote the correct environment. What I question is what threatening the kids does to promote the long term goal of creating the right environment for learning. I don't think that he has chosen the right tool for the job, he has chosen Macgyver fix which harms the long term mission.

I remember 5-10 years ago we used to hear all kinds of stories about what were then brand new law and order schools, which were run on par with prisons, and of how great they were. You don't hear much about them anymore, because they don't work long term. They are on par with the parents who micro manage their kids lives, impose very strict rules upon their kids as if they are prison wardens, forgetting that their primary job is to raise strong and well functioning adults. They use a heavy hand to enforce a short term solution to a real or imagined problem and neglect totally their real job.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:31 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I have - but what is to stop them from using another word, sound or something else? There was a much better way to handle than saying no "meeping" and threatening corrective action regarding this word. It would make sense to stop disruptive behavior rather than focus on a word - I know the principal said it wasn't about the word - but he made it about the word with the phone call stating their would be corrective action for those saying meep at such and such location.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Supposedly there were 3 students on facebook that said they were going to meep at a certain location at a certain time - why does this then warrant a phone call to all students in the school?

I once remember we had organized a walk out at our high school - it was at a certain time and day - no facebook or anything - this is a school for over 4,000 students. I didn't participate - mostly because I was wimp and followed the school rules, however, about 70% of students did. Nothing happened and they came back in shortly afterwards.

Sometimes when you make a bigger issue out of something - it ends up being a bigger issue. There are much worse things than a group of kids yelling meep.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 04:19 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Seriously - I think parents should be responsible for their children - and one way to do that is to make sure that they are notified when their kids are being idiots. By the time there's a "history", it's generally too late.

You don't have teenagers, do you ehBeth?

Let's be realistic here (after all I do have other things to do). How about if I am notified when my kids are not being idiots.

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 04:21 pm
@ebrown p,
Heh, heh - if you were notified when your kids are being idiots it would be consistent communication.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 04:23 pm
HA HA!!!

I just "meeped" someone on another thread.

felt real good.
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 04:29 pm
@chai2,
Hey - great idea - now whenever I don't have the usual smart intelligent retort I'll just say "meep!" This could be life changing this meep stuff! Thank you thank you Mr. Miss Guided Principal.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 05:55 pm
@chai2,
Meeping with intent to mawk. Youre dittthhhhpikkabull!!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 06:01 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Banning something never works with adolescents. If they want it to stop, the school could do what schools always to to suck the joy out of anything. They should make it an assignment.

Mandatory meep rally, maybe a morning Meep of Alliegence.

That would stop the behavior in about 3 days.

Or an even faster way.

Have all the teachers and administrators start using the word.

Nothing could be more uncool than that.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 06:04 pm
@Linkat,
Oh for pete's sake.

We used to pass a note around and say at 11:04am we are going to stand up and throw our book down. We did. It got a disapproving look from the teacher and a warning and we didn't do it again. For a while anyway...it was never the same thing. And you had to be wise whose class you chose to do it in.

This is much ado about nothing. Really.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 06:07 pm
Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep! Meep!
mismi

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 06:12 pm
@George,
OH. Well...yeah...that is annoying. Punish the children.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 06:13 pm