John Allen Muhammed Executed in VA at 9:22 pm

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:43 pm
I neither expect nor ask for much discussion on this. Rather, I note that Mr Muhammed was executed tonight by lethal injection.
Muhammed and his teen-aged accomplice (Malvo) went on a killing spree back in the summer of 2002 in D.C. and the suburbs of MD and VA. 10 people were murdered while they went about mundane tasks like mowing their lawns, getting gas or walking to school. Shot from a battered up old car with the rear seat removed so the shooter could fire from a position in and in front of the trunk.
The killing for which Muhammad was executed happened not too far from where I live. 60 miles, which I guess is far, actually, but I recall being at a gas station. I, and perhaps others there, kind of crouched behind our cars, pretending to clean the license plate or something.
VA was the state with the death penalty in place and active. So that was where Muhammed was tried, convicted, sentenced and, tonight, executed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 31 • Views: 13,898 • Replies: 242

Rockhead

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 11:24 pm
@realjohnboy,
I drove through there (within talk radio distance in the carolinas) when the shootings were going on.

state's kinda quick on the trigger, really...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:34 am
@realjohnboy,
Just this once, I fail to feel any sympathy for the decedent. In his case, I don't think of it as capital punishment, to which I am opposed. It is simply putting a period to the end of his sentence. All over. Finished.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:39 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Just this once, I fail to feel any sympathy for the decedent.
In his case, I don't think of it as capital punishment,
to which I am opposed.

It is simply putting a period to the end of his sentence. All over. Finished.
Yes; that ended his sentence.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:43 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I neither expect nor ask for much discussion on this. Rather, I note that Mr Muhammed was executed tonight by lethal injection.
Muhammed and his teen-aged accomplice (Malvo) went on a killing spree back in the summer of 2002 in D.C. and the suburbs of MD and VA. 10 people were murdered while they went about mundane tasks like mowing their lawns, getting gas or walking to school. Shot from a battered up old car with the rear seat removed so the shooter could fire from a position in and in front of the trunk.
The killing for which Muhammad was executed happened not too far from where I live. 60 miles, which I guess is far, actually, but I recall being at a gas station. I, and perhaps others there, kind of crouched behind our cars, pretending to clean the license plate or something.
VA was the state with the death penalty in place and active. So that was where Muhammed was tried, convicted, sentenced and, tonight, executed.

Well, hopefully, thay KILLED him before thay executed him,
otherwise, he 'd probably resume his crime spree, until thay catch him again.

David
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:58 am
@realjohnboy,
I would just like to add that prior to the D.C. killings, he killed a victim in Tacoma. WA State did not try him for that murder since he got convicted and sentenced in VA. I have no sympathy for him.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:55 am
I am not in favor of jurisdiction shopping on principle, when it is done with the purpose of legally ending a life it is even worse than normal.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:00 am

Let the record indicate that I don 't like him much, either.

David
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:09 am
@hawkeye10,
And I didn't like him at all either - but this is true:

Quote:
I am not in favor of jurisdiction shopping on principle, when it is done with the purpose of legally ending a life it is even worse than normal.

What happened to the seventeen year old boy in the case? Was he tried as an adult in Virginia? What was his sentence?
(Or I can look it up on Google if no one knows off the top of their heads).

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:14 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

And I didn't like him at all either - but this is true:

Quote:

What happened to the seventeen year old boy in the case? Was he tried as an adult in Virginia?
What was his sentence?
(Or I can look it up on Google if no one knows off the top of their heads).

Life in prison; no parole.
He shudda been shot.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:16 am

One of the main reasons that government
was brought into existence was to execute vengeance,
instead of the victim or his friends doing it.

David
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:17 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks David (for the information). You have to take into account though that he was under this guy's influence from a very impressionable age. He was definitely an accomplice - maybe even a willing one - but it's pretty obvious this guy had groomed him for this.

Sickening - if any part of any of it makes me more in favor of the death penalty in this particular case - it's this - that he pulled this boy into his sickness.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:19 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Thanks David (for the information).
You have to take into account though that he was under this guy's influence
from a very impressionable age. He was definitely an accomplice -
maybe even a willing one - but it's pretty obvious this guy had groomed him for this.

Sickening - if any part of any of it makes me more in favor of the
death penalty in this particular case - it's this - that he pulled this boy into his sickness.
OK; we can take that into account
after we throw him into the hole,
with a sufficient number of gunshots in him to avenge his victims.

David
aidan

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:22 am
@OmSigDAVID,
But logic and the law dictate we take that into account before we enact punishment. Isn't there something about mitigating circumstances that come into play when sentencing?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:26 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

But logic and the law dictate we take that into account before we enact punishment.
Isn't there something about mitigating circumstances that come into play when sentencing?
There is.
There were no mitigating circumstances.

To my mind, it makes no sense at all that a 17 year old does not know what murder is.

The kids I knew in my youth were acutely aware of it around
6 or 7 years old. None of them ever had any doubts.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:29 am

The idea of avenging someone
is to do for him, what he was not able to do for himself
to justly vindicate his rights.

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 04:46 am
@hawkeye10,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not a problem in the world with it as he kill citizens of that state going about their normal lives so VA had every right to both try and kill the SOB.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 05:09 am
@BillRM,
What do we call those countries where the bosses decide upon a result for a trial, and then organize the necessary trial to get to that result.......banana republic, isn't that it??? Maybe bankrupt and/or corrupt nation??

Anyway, I am not thrilled to live in a nation where the bosses are willing to manipulate the law with the express purpose of imposing max retribution upon a fellow citizen. This is not justice, this is barbarism......barbarism were the patina of civility has been applied with just enough thickness so that we can lie to ourselves about how despicable we are and get away with it.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 05:23 am
I am one who opposes the death penalty. But, when there is no doubt the person is guilty, I feel no sympathy for the executed.
farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 05:23 am
@aidan,
As one who considers cap punishment to be reserved for "special treatment", I think that Muhammed and MAlvo have met my test ofr aqdmittance into the program.

Malvo and Muhammed had created sort of a "Battlement" in the trunk of their car. so that, with the back seat lowered, a snioer could crawl into the trunk and shoot their rifle out of a "porthole" cut out of the car body and just above the licenese plate. This gave Malvo (the usual shooter) the opportunity to shoot anyone in his limited line of sight.

This was a horribly prememditated series of crimes that everyone in law enforcement felt, would end in a violent take down.

The tip that led to the perps capture had initiated a huge SWAT response that involved about 15 officers heavily armed and involved in a surrounds movement . These cops , loaded for bear, were in a perimeter that was manned by up to 100 other officers who were not gonna let a cockrpoach out of the truck stop prking lot in which Malvo and Muhammed were sleeping (as it turned out). The fact that Dave wanted them shot like dogs, was not played oput becuase the criminals were snuck up on, overwhelemd by a violent breakin with about 9 cops and FBI members of SWAT. The perps peacably surrendered, and were taken into custody without any further incidence.

The cops were ready to deal out lethal force, they just didnt need it. HAd they just opened fire on the sleeping perps would have been a dishonor to their victims.

As it turned out, Muhammed was given a ride on "ole sparky" (A Stephen King metaphor), and Malvo is in the general population for life. The sheriffs office reps stated that <MAlvo had a look of evil all about him and its good that he be dealt with by forever incarceration. I dont know whether he was influenced by Muhammed as his mntor or was living a fantasy , either way he wont be a further danger to us.

IN disagreement with Dave, this entire event is one where I dont believe that any armed citizen could have intervened. The snipers were under cover and shooting from a makeshift camo "tank". people had no idea where the fire was coming from and all they could do to react was get down. ANyone in the limited line of fire could have been hit without knowing from where it came. Youd die with your gun in your hand.