Oh, No! Election Day is Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010...

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:47 pm
@realjohnboy,
rjb, Thanks; that's what I thought, but wasn't sure.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:49 pm
I'll be keeping the NY Times Primary Results New York page open and constantly refreshing until I go to bed:
http://elections.nytimes.com/2010/results/primaries/new-york
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:55 pm
Racing up the road to New Hamphire, with my tongue hanging out...
REPUBLICAN PRIMARY FOR U.S. SENATE-NEW HAMPSHIRE-
With 12% of the votes counted, Kelly Ayote (former state attorney general) has 32.4% while attorney Ovide Lamontagne (cool name) has 48.1%. That is, in my mind, a surprise. But it is still early.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
At 6:55PM PST the NYT reports Christine O'Donnell with a 6% lead in the Delaware primary. Not a favorable indicator for Democrats.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 08:29 pm
New York Attorney General
Democrats VOTES PCT.
Kathleen M. Rice 38,126 36%
Sean Coffey 26,310 25%
Eric Schneiderman 23,218 22%

I voted for the progressive liberal Schneiderman. Only 20% of the polls reporting in. Kind of a difficult climb from here on in.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 08:42 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

At 6:55PM PST the NYT reports Christine O'Donnell with a 6% lead in the Delaware primary. Not a favorable indicator for Democrats.

I missed your point there, Georgeob1.
High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 08:43 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

High Seas wrote:

realjohnboy wrote:

...... an arcane time bomb issue that will come out in mid October. ...

Which?

Sorry. I didn't mean to be cryptic. .... there will be no increase in social security benefits to retirees.

Thanks - but at least their checks will keep coming. The real time bomb isn't in the operational budgets - it's lurking in federal (Medicaid/Medicare) and states' contingent liabilities. Have posted details on California elsewhere > http://able2know.org/topic/161266-1#post-4351096 > but in New York things are almost as dire. The Tea Party understands this. In our primary for governor, btw, Paladino is leading Lazio.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 08:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

I missed your point there, Georgeob1.

Quote:
The Tea Party movement scored another victory on Tuesday, helping to propel a dissident Republican, Christine O’Donnell, to an upset win over Representative Michael N. Castle in the race for the United States Senate nomination in Delaware.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/15/us/politics/15elect.html?hp
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 09:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
I didn't understand Georgeob's comment about O'Donnell's win in DE was not favorable for Dems. I am confident he will clarify that at some point.
Meanwhile, with 20% of the votes in in NH, Lamontagne has 44.1% vs 32.4% for Ayote. A bit closer then an hour ago.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 09:03 pm
@realjohnboy,
I don't understand it either. All O'Donnell just one was a very tight primary race.

Still the November election against Christopher Coons. Maybe George thought was Castle an easier obstacle for Coons to overcome then O'Donnell?

~~~
On the NY state Attorney General race? Things have gotten quite cozy!
Quote:
New York Attorney General

Democrats VOTES PCT.
Kathleen M. Rice 79,807 32%
Eric Schneiderman 73,703 30%
Sean Coffey 47,467 19%
Richard Brodsky 26,843 11%
Eric Dinallo 18,316 7%
43% reporting
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 09:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:

I didn't understand Georgeob's comment about O'Donnell's win in DE was not favorable for Dems.
I am sure that this is not what George ment, but this win by the teaparty of a candidate that just two weeks ago was considered the punchline of a joke should scare the hell out of Democrats. The major parties are rapidly losing the ability to call the shots. This win by O'Donnell is more a shot across the bow than even was Obama knocking off Clinton.

Even more concerned I am sure is the corporate class. Increasingly being backed by the establishment is a negative, and money increasingly does not change this. Clinton thought that she had won the nomination when she won the money race by a long shot before the first vote was cast. It did not work out that way. The rules have changed.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 09:40 pm
http://i56.tinypic.com/2u7q641.jpg
Schneiderman is pulling ahead of Rice in the NY state Attorney Generals race!
Cool
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 09:45 pm
The Rules Have Changed.
I would agree with that, Hawk. It is bedtime, past bedtime, for this bozo.
The GOP took a hit tonight from the Tea Party movement. The Dems may get a break because of that in the near term. Both of the established parties, though, should probably be scared sh*tless about 2012.
See you all tomorrow.
(Thanks, Tsar, re NY. I am not up to speed yet on what that is all about. I will study that in due course.)
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 10:18 pm
@realjohnboy,
I shouldn't have stayed up so late since I have this minor cold et al.

But it's a good game here in New York state.
Carolyn Maloney swept aside the snotty nose/tool of the Financial District, Reshma Saujani.
http://i55.tinypic.com/33f73p4.jpg

It looks like Schneiderman will get the Attorney General nod since we don't have a run off in NY state.

And Andrew Cuomo gets to run against the light headed crazy socks Tea Party candidate Carl Paladino for the governor's office.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:58 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
The GOP took a hit tonight from the Tea Party movement
No, the political establishment took a hit tonight. And they are going to keep getting hit until they either start to listen to the people are else they are replaced with people who remember that politicians work for the people, not the corporate interests. There has been a lot of making fun of the tea party folks here, and lot of calling me doom and gloom when I have been talking for almost a year how pissed off people are and for a couple of years about how fucked up this country is, but then a2k is made up of a lot of smug elitists who dont have a clue what is going on in this country even as they claim to know everything about how people should live and what people should think. America has had more than enough of that, because the know-it-all's has been consistently wrong, or else they simply lie their asses off...who knows. And I dont think anyone cares, just so long as they are removed from power. They can yap on all they want so long as they dont have the ability to hurt us anymore.
High Seas

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 03:30 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

...re NY. I am not up to speed yet on what that is all about. I will study that in due course....

Quick NY update: as indicated on this page, Paladino stayed ahead of Lazio in the Republican primary for governor. His agenda is simple - cut state tax rates by 10%, cut Albany expenses by 20%. He's running against Cuomo Jr., son of Cuomo Sr., big-spending Democrats both, and his November chances are 50-50. Espada (who paralysed Albany for months) got trounced. The unsinkable Rangel owns Harlem, so that result was no surprise. Finally, Saujani, a Hillary fundraiser, never had a prayer against Maloney: only the Hindustan Times thought otherwise. http://www.hindustantimes.com/Indian-American-Reshma-Saujani-loses-New-York-primary/Article1-600341.aspx
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 05:56 am
O’Donnell winning is good for the tea party but is it good for the republicans and taking over the senate in November?

2 Insurgents Could Hurt G.O.P. Chances for Senate Takeover
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 08:34 am
Ayotte Holding Narrow Lead Over Lamontagne

Quote:
Five hours after polls closed in New Hampshire, former state Attorney General Kelly Ayotte was clinging to a 1-point lead over surging local tea party favorite Ovide Lamontagne early Wednesday morning in the Granite State’s Republican Senate primary.

As of 1:45 a.m., Ayotte led 38.4 percent to Lamontagne’s 37.3 percent with 81 percent of precincts reporting, according to the Associated Press.

Should she hold on to her slim margin, Ayotte — the pick of the national Republican establishment — would become the favorite in the general election contest against Democratic Rep. Paul W. Hodes in the race to replace retiring Sen. Judd Gregg.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 08:44 am
And, Nate Silver of the NYT weighs in with thoughts on last night's primaries:

Quote:
...Ms. O’Donnell’s victory — like Scott Brown’s in Massachusetts earlier this year, or like Hillary Clinton’s in the New Hampshire primary two years ago — was an emphatic reminder that voters write the script. The rest of us self-proclaimed political professionals – journalists and pollsters, activists and bundlers, lobbyists and party-leaders, presidents and senators — are just the stagehands.
So what does this mean as we head into November — and beyond?

There are some fairly tangible conclusions. For instance, Ms. O’Donnell’s win almost certainly reduces the possibility of a Republican takeover of the Senate. She could still defeat the Democrat in the race, Chris Coons — as Mr. Castle could still have lost to him. But on the basis of the polling (and here we are, thankfully, again on solid empirical ground) the Republicans went from being extremely likely to win the race to extremely likely to lose it. They may now need to bring another state like Connecticut or West Virginia into play to have a decent chance of taking the Senate; indeed, I would expect to hear a lot of chatter about opportunities like these, as the Republican establishment seems ready to concede the one in Delaware.

Read the rest at the link.
Irishk

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 08:51 am
Stu Rothenberg of the The Rothenberg Political Report updates his forecast:

Quote:
While tea party activists are jumping for joy at the primary results, it’s Democrats who will have the last laugh in Delaware.

We’re moving the race from Lean Republican to Lean Democrat.