Oh, No! Election Day is Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010...

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 09:15 am
@Irishk,
I wonder (but doubt) if the voting public will remember that the last and lowest item on that list wasn't passed by Obama, but by Bush...

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 09:16 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I wondered that, too. We're on the same wave length, it appears.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 10:34 am
The problem, of coarse, is that most republicans (and even some democrats) have forgotten all the missteps by Bush, and blame Obama for everything under the sun. Most don't even know that Obama has kept most of his campaign promises, and delivered.

There's no cure for stupid. What do these people want?
Irishk

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:09 am
@cicerone imposter,
I don't they've forgotten. At least, not if you believe the polls.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 11:55 am
CONNECTICUT SENATE:

Blumenthal 51, McMahon 45 - Quinnipiac

Quote:
September 14, 2010 - Blumenthal Up Just 6 Points In Connecticut Senate Race, Quinnipiac University Poll Finds; Much McMahon Support Is Anti-Blumenthal

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, the Democrat, leads Republican former wrestling executive Linda McMahon 51 - 45 percent among likely voters in the U.S. Senate race, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today.

Another 3 percent are undecided and 11 percent of those who do name a candidate say they could change their mind by Election Day. This is the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe- ack) University's first general election likely voter survey in Connecticut in this election cycle and can not be compared to earlier surveys of registered voters.

More at the link.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 01:50 pm
Let us all pray that Angle and O'Donnell win their primaries. They both crack me up, and I hope someone tells us when they are scheduled to go on the Daily Show.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 03:16 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

realjohnboy wrote:

...... an arcane time bomb issue that will come out in mid October. ...

Which?

Sorry. I didn't mean to be cryptic. I have written before - on some thread - about how in 2011, for the 2nd year in a row, there will be no increase in social security benefits to retirees. That news will come out on/about October 15th.

Since about 1972 the increase or the lack of an increase is based on a little known Bureau of Labor Statistics' Consumer Price Index for Wage Earners and Urban Clerical Workers (CPI-W) for the 3rd Quarter of each year. I didn't make that up, honest.
For July-Sept, 2007, the index for the quarter stood at 203.596.
A year later, in 2008, it was at 215.495, impacted most notably by a spike in oil prices. So for 2009, retirees got an increase in basic benefits of 5.8%.
Oil fell back in 2009 and inflation in general as measured by CPI-W was moderate. The index finished at 211.000.
That meant that retirees got no increase in 2010.
The CPI-W index for July, 2010, came in at 213.898 and I project the 3 month index will be around 214.500 for the quarter.

That is higher then last year but the comparison will be made to the year before that. 214.500 will not be compared to 211.000 but rather to 215.495.

Eyes, including eyes here, will glaze over. The bottom line is that, 2 weeks before the election, it will come out that there will be no increase in benefits in 2011.
Will the retirees look to find someone to blame?
Irishk

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 03:24 pm
@Advocate,
Angle won. The Nevada primary was 3 months ago.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 03:28 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
Angle won. The Nevada primary was 3 months ago.

Praying for things that have already happened gives a 100% success rate!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 03:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Will the retirees look to find someone to blame?

It's formula-based, so I wouldn't think so. I guess they could blame whomever came up with the formula, though. Did their Medicare fees increase, do you know and how is that formulated?
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 03:44 pm
@Irishk,
There was some b*tching last year, and briefly a bill introduced to give retirees a token one time payment of a few hundred bucks. I recall reading something about Medicare. But that is a subject I know very little about.
I may indeed be wrong about whether there will be an impact when this news comes out on/about October 15th.

Watching the GOP primaries in Delaware and New Hampshire closely tonight.
Irishk

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 03:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
Oh, well if there was b*tching last year, I could see it happening again. I also recall reading about the one time payment. Maybe that will get passed again. It would, to me, seem a double whammy to retirees to have their Medicare fees raised without some type of SS benefit increase. I'm sure some are struggling.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 03:55 pm
Quote:

Primaries finale: GOP establishment vs tea party
AP

Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell talks to voters in Wilmington, Del., Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2010. O'Donnell is in a Republican primary battle with Re AP – Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell talks to voters in Wilmington, Del., Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2010. O'Donnell …

By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent David Espo, Ap Special Correspondent – 2 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Establishment Republicans vied with challengers favored by tea party activists one last time Tuesday in a multistate finale to a primary election season marked by economic recession and political upheaval.

Highlighted by GOP-tea party showdowns in New Hampshire and Delaware, six states chose candidates for governor and five featured contests for nominations to the Senate.

In New York, 40-year veteran Democratic Rep. Charles Rangel faced the voters for the first time since the House ethics committee accused him of 13 violations, most of them relating to his personal finances.

So far this year, seven incumbent members of Congress have tasted defeat, four Republicans and three Democrats. And that does not include a lengthy list of GOP contenders who fell to tea party-supported challengers despite having the backing of party officials eager to maximize their gains in November.

With unemployment high and President Barack Obama's popularity below 50 percent, Republicans said the primaries reflected an enthusiasm that would serve the party well in the fall, when control of Congress will be at stake.

Democrats, however, said the presence of tea party-supported Republicans would prove costly to the GOP on Nov. 2 — a proposition that remained to be tested in seven weeks' time.

In Delaware, Rep. Mike Castle sought the nomination to a Senate seat held for 36 years by Vice President Joe Biden in a primary that took a sharp turn for the negative three weeks ago when the Tea Party Express announced it would come to the aid of challenger Christine O'Donnell.

Castle, a former two-term governor and a veteran of nearly two decades in the House, was repeatedly assailed as a liberal, a Republican in name only. He and the party responded by challenging O'Donnell's fitness for public office and her ability to win a statewide election in the fall.

"There's a tidal wave that is coming to Delaware, and we're riding in it and he's drowning in it," O'Donnell said of Castle.

While Republicans brawled, New Castle County Executive Chris Coons coasted to the Democratic nomination without opposition. Biden resigned the seat in early 2009, and his successor, Democratic Sen. Ted Kaufman, pledged not to run for a full term.

Republicans in New Hampshire sorted through a crowded field of candidates for the nomination to a seat long held by retiring GOP Sen. Judd Gregg.

Former Attorney General Kelly Ayotte was the party-backed favorite, and she added support from prominent conservatives who have played a heavy role in several primaries this year, including former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Her principal opposition came from Ovide Lamontagne, a lawyer and former head of the state board of education. He campaigned with the support of tea party activists and claimed to be the most conservative candidate in a race that also included businessmen Bill Binnie and Jim Bender.

The winner will face Democratic Rep. Paul Hodes, who is giving up his seat in the House to run for the Senate.

Republicans must gain 10 seats this fall if they are to win control of the Senate, and their chances count heavily on their ability to prevail in both Delaware and New Hampshire.

I think this is the future of the republican vs tea party candidates. If this happens in the next presidential election, they'll handicap each other to lose.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 05:16 pm
@Irishk,
Oh vey!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:20 pm
The Delaware Department of Elections site crashed for awhile. It is now back up.
With 99% of the Districts in:
O'Donnell: 30,381 votes (53.1%)
Castle: 26,848 (46.9%)
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:21 pm
@realjohnboy,
rjb, Is that good or bad?
Irishk

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It means Advocate's prayer was answered Smile
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:33 pm
I guess it depends on who you are, Tak. The Tea Party people are happy, as Ms O'Donnell was endorsed by them and Palin. The mainstream GOP is more than a little upset. Castle had a good chance, a very good chance, of defeating the Dem, Chris Coons. This is an open seat once held by a Dem (Joe Biden), so it is a key seat in the Repub effort to take over the Senate.
The Dems are pleased. Coons fares much better in the polls against O'Donnell then against Castle.
O'Donnell has a bit of a financial scandal going. Castle, her Repub opponent in today's primary, brought that up in the final days of this really nasty campaign.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:41 pm
@Irishk,
Well, not only his.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4991334601_8271e035a6_z.jpg

Let's face it, this helps the Dems considerably in a year when they need all the help they can get.

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I think even Kos was sending up a prayer or two!
0 Replies