Oh, No! Election Day is Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010...

Advocate

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 12:42 pm
I gather that little is known about Mike Huckabee, who, among Republicans, polls just below Palin. From what I have seen and read, the man is shallow, petty, avaricious, and unethical. In other words, he is a good Republican.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/feature/2007/11/13/huckabee
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 01:26 pm
PPP polls Ohio's gubernatorial race for 9/1/10:

Quote:
After holding small leads in PPP's first two Ohio polls of 2010 John Kasich has opened up a 50-40 advantage in his bid to unseat Democratic incumbent Ted Strickland.

The race has pretty much shaped up as a referendum on Strickland and that is not to the incumbent's advantage. Only 34% of voters in the state approve of the job he's doing while 52% disapprove. Republicans are now almost universal in their disapproval of him at 83% while Democrats are a little more divided in their support of his work at 67%. Independents go against him by a 59/26 margin as well.

Ohioans are decidedly ambivalent when it comes to their feelings about Kasich himself. 33% see him favorably, 33% see him unfavorably, and 33% have no opinion. Republicans are pretty positive toward him (62/10) while Democrats are almost equally negative (7/58) and independents are split nearly right down the middle (31/29). Voters in the state don't have any particular affection for Kasich, but this election isn't really about Kasich. It's about Barack Obama and Ted Strickland and not being them is enough to have Kasich in a very strong position to win in November.

Kasich leads 44-33 with independents and is pulling 89% of the Republican vote while only 78% of Democrats are committed to Strickland at this point. Those numbers with GOP voters are one of the major developments in the race since PPP polled in late June. At that point Kasich was up only 73-12 with voters in his party but Strickland has lost almost all of his crossover support since that time and it's now an 89-5 advantage for Kasich there.

Strickland's other big issue is one Democrats everywhere are having to deal with: diminished interest from the party base. Barack Obama won Ohio by 4 points in 2008 but those planning to turn out and vote this year say they went for John McCain by a 3 point margin. Between Strickland's unpopularity and the enthusiasm gap this is now looking like a very tough office for Democrats to hold.

Rassmussen also polled this race today:

Quote:
Democratic Governor Ted Strickland still trails his Republican challenger, John Kasich, by eight points in his bid for reelection in Ohio.

The latest Rasmussen Reports statewide telephone survey of Likely Voters shows Kasich picking up 47% support while Strickland draws the vote from 39%. Seven percent (7%) prefer another candidate in the race while another seven percent (7%) are undecided.

0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:41 pm
John Spratt is the House Budget Chairman. He is running in South Carolina against the very conservative Nick Mulvaney, with the two running neck and neck. It is hard to believe that Spratt, with all his accomplishments (e.g., largely responsible for balancing the budget when Clinton was president) might lose. See:

http://walmartcommunityvotes.com/election-news/daring-to-run-as-a-d-c-insider
Irishk

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 04:21 pm
@Advocate,
He sounds like a good guy. I'll keep an eye out for polls on SC House races.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 05:30 pm
@Irishk,
The Spratt/Mulvaney race is in the SC-5th which is N and NE of Columbia. If you have driven I-95 towards the NC border you might note that it is a region of not very fertile land.
The only poll on that race was in January and had the incumbent Spratt ahead comfortably.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 05:53 pm
With regards to the House of Representatives, here are some numbers---

The current makeup is: 255 Democrats, 178 Republicans and 2 Vacancies.
218 seats (out of 435) are needed for a majority.

RCP has it, right now, as:
Safe Dem ..... 143
Likely Dem .. 26
Leans Dem ... 25
Equals ......... 194

Safe Rep ..... 163
Likely Rep .. 14
Leans Rep ... 29
Equals ........ 206

Tossups ..... 35 (Of those, all but one or two are Dem seats).

Larry Sabato/UVA writes that, if the elections were held today, the Repubs would gain 32 seats. That would make it 225 Dem to 210 Repub.
Campbell/U of Buffalo (cited a few posts up) says that the Dems are on target to lose 51 seats. That would result in a make up of 206 Dems vs 229 Repubs.

That's a start on the possible makeup of the House. I guess.
Advocate

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 06:25 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

The Spratt/Mulvaney race is in the SC-5th which is N and NE of Columbia. If you have driven I-95 towards the NC border you might note that it is a region of not very fertile land.
The only poll on that race was in January and had the incumbent Spratt ahead comfortably.

The article to which I provided a link mentions a more recent poll that shows the two running neck and neck.

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 06:29 pm
@Advocate,
Sorry, I missed that paragraph where both candidates seem to agree that it is a tie at this point.
Thanks.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 07:08 pm
Irishk: Many pages ago you introduced us to Nate Silver of 538. I was more than a bit dismissive of him. At the time he seemed to me to be spending a lot of time grousing about how Rasmussen got more attention then he did.
I went searching for him today.
Silver's columns are appearing in the NY Times. Perhaps they have assigned him a new editor. I find his analysis to be much more focused now. Do you still follow him?
(He has the Repubs (in an article from 8/25) gaining 7 seats in the Senate. He promises to do the House and Governors "shortly.")
Irishk

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 07:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
I do still check in regularly at his site. I didn't even have to change my bookmark -- just clicked on it a week ago today and it took me right to his new 'home' at the NY Times. He'd alerted us regular followers back in June of the impending move -- he has quite an interesting background; you can read his short bio here.

Lately, I've been checking in a little more than usual, to see if he's got his House forecast up - I think he'll have something for us by the end of this week.

As he did at his old site, I think he'll continue to update his Senate, House and gubernatorial forecasts. So far, his analysis has been pretty much in line with the other sites I follow...RCP, Sabato, Charlie Cook and ElectionProjection (who also predicts a 7-seat pickup for the R's in the Senate, and a 36-seat pickup for the R's in the House).

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 08:16 pm
@realjohnboy,
It is very interesting that the results published by these pollsters differ so much among themselves - and do so by large multiples of the error margins asserted in their sampling protocols.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 03:01 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Is the tea party the new Republican Party? The grass-roots network of fed-up conservative-libertarian voters displayed its power in its biggest triumph of the election year: the toppling of Sen. Lisa Murkowski in Alaska's GOP primary. Political novice Joe Miller is the fifth tea party insurgent to win a GOP Senate nominating contest, an upset that few, if any, saw coming.

With the stunning outcome, the fledgling tea party coalition and voters who identify with its anti-tax, anti-spending sentiments proved that democracy is alive and well - within the Republican Party. Don't like who is representing you? Rise up, fire them and choose someone new.

The tea party has taken hold in the Grand Old Party, unseating lawmakers, capturing nominations for open seats and forcing Republicans to recalibrate both their campaign strategy and issues agenda. Out is talk of delivering federal dollars back home; in is talk of fiscal discipline.

Within minutes of Murkowski conceding late Tuesday night, Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., was among the conservative Republicans cheering Miller.

"He pulled off the upset victory of the year because he ran on principles and because Alaskans, like all Americans, want to stop the massive spending, bailouts and debt that are bankrupting our country," said DeMint.

Taking a shot at Murkowski if not the entire Republican establishment, he added: "Joe Miller's victory should be a wake-up call to politicians who go to Washington to bring home the bacon. Voters are saying 'We're not willing to bankrupt the country to benefit ourselves.'"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/01/AR2010090104469.html?hpid=sec-politics

Yep....it is morning in America! OMG, what a hangover we have from binge drinking at the open bar last night.
High Seas

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 05:01 am
@georgeob1,
Old-fashioned polling techniques rely on Republican v. Democrat classifications and - overwhelmingly - disregard the newest network models as well as the unpredictability of re-drawn (aka gerrymandered) electoral districts pursuant to each decadal census. E.g. the 13th Chicago electoral district that elected Obama in 2001 only had a minor overlap with the previous 13th, where he might well have lost - though not as massively as he lost in the 2nd (practically all-black) district when he ran against the son of Jesse Jackson. The rise of the Tea Party cannot be understood in such a context, but newer mathematical techniques can and do match observed results in primaries nationwide so far. They include duplication-mutation with complementarity, forest fire, and preferential attachment models and assume psephological patterns follow similar dynamic processes:
http://www.techreview.com/blog/arxiv/ and (for the algorithms): http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.5166
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/files/46172/network%20archaeology.jpg
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 09:04 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
OMG, what a hangover we have from binge drinking at the open bar last night.

Was it Miller time??

(couldn't resist)
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 02:23 pm
@Irishk,
LARRY SABATO (Sept 2nd)-
The UVA pundit is out with his pre-Labor Day commentary. His prognosis for the Democrat's is now much more dire with 60 days to go until the general election.

SENATE: For several months he had been showing the Repubs picking up 7 seats. He now says 8 or perhaps 9. And there is an outside chance of the number hitting 10, which would leave the Repub's with a 51-49 majority.
He has moved CO and PA (now D states) from Tossup to Lean Repub and OH (R) from Tossup to Leans Repub.
He has added WA and WI (D) to the Tossup category, joining FL (open), CA, IL and NV (D).
HOUSE: A week or so ago, he projected the Repubs picking up 32 seats net. That would still give the Dems a majority (225-210). Today he believes the Repubs could perhaps pick up 47 which would give them the majority (225-210).
In his narrative, Sabato talks about how he gets to projections. "(The) estimate is based on careful district by district analysis, plus electoral monitoring based on trends in President Obama's Gallup job approval ratings and the Democrat-versus-Republican congressional generic ballot."

Mid-term elections tend to favor the party not in power and 2010 was certainly shaping up along those lines. If the economy had shown signs of recovery, the Dems might have been correct in assuming that the losses could be held to manageable levels.
Clearly the economy remains bogged down and it is likely there will not be any signs of improvement in the next two months.
Sabato also notes that in 2006 and 2008 the Dems picked up a total of some 50 House seats. A number of those were won in Repub territory, often by slim margins (eg my district- VA5 - went Dem for the 1st time forever, by a mere 600 votes). Those seats are highly exposed to a GOP wave.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 09:34 pm
Not many interesting polls released today. Reading over at DailyKos, Marcos used the term 'cataclysmic' to describe the approaching election for the Democrats.

Nathan Gonzales of The Rothenberg Political Report wonders if it is time to re-evaluate Rasmussen's polling reputation. (RJB - this might come in handy when people here grumble at you for using Ras).

Harry Enten (the Dartmouth lad interning at Pollster.com this summer and author of the Republican Blizzard) has a new article on Underestimating the Gallup Likely Voter Edge...

Quote:
The Gallup generic ballot has provided plenty of fodder with election analysts this summer. No clearer was the importance of the Gallup generic ballot to the news cycle than it was on Monday when Gallup showed a 10% Republican advantage. As noted, a 10% Republican lead on Gallup's generic ballot is unprecedented, and it will likely get worse once Gallup switches over to a likely voter model. Congressmen and political analysts alike have mentioned that Republicans could possibly do 4% better on a likely voter model. Upon further examination, however, I think it could be worse for Democrats. Why? History.

Lots more at the link above.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 11:04 pm
Quote:
By Eugene Robinson
Friday, September 3, 2010

According to polls, Americans are in a mood to hold their breath until they turn blue. Voters appear to be so fed up with the Democrats that they're ready to toss them out in favor of the Republicans -- for whom, according to those same polls, the nation has even greater contempt. This isn't an "electoral wave," it's a temper tantrum.

It's bad enough that the Democratic Party's "favorable" rating has fallen to an abysmal 33 percent, according to a recent NBC-Wall Street Journal poll. It's worse that the Republican Party's favorably has plunged to just 24 percent. But incredibly, according to Gallup, registered voters say they intend to vote for Republicans over Democrats by an astounding 10-point margin. Respected analysts reckon that the GOP has a chance of gaining 45 to 60 seats in the House, which would bring Minority Leader John Boehner into the speaker's office.

My guess is that with a decided advantage in campaign funds, along with the other advantages of incumbency, Democrats will be able to mitigate these prospective losses -- perhaps even relieving Nancy Pelosi of the hassles of moving. But there's no mistaking the public mood, and the truth is that it makes no sense
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/02/AR2010090203992.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Admitting to the fact that you don't understand what is going on should in theory prompt you to attempt to find out, rather than calling Americans derogatory names. The reason is that we have decided that Washington has no answers, and will because it is corrupt only do more harm, so we seek to neutralize it as a short term fix...until we can get together and come up with solutions, which will come from below.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 12:34 pm
A new SurveyUSA poll shows Republicans Whitman and Fiorina both leading in California.

With less than two months to go, Intrade is split - showing a large lead for Republican Meg Whitman in her bid for governor, but traders favor Democrat incumbent Barbara Boxer in her bid to remain in the Senate.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 12:40 pm
Nate Silver updated his forecast late yesterday to include his analysis on the midterm gubernatorial races (with much more at the link):

Quote:
G.O.P. Poised to Control 30 Governor Seats

Republicans are on track to control approximately 30 governor seats after the Nov. 2 election, according to the FiveThirtyEight gubernatorial forecasting model. And they are likely to do particularly well in the swing states of the Midwest.

Such an outcome would reverse the current state of the nation’s governors’ mansions, which are now held by 26 Democrats, 23 Republicans and 1 independent.

[...]

Should the political momentum favor the Republicans this year, as seems likely, they have picked an auspicious time for it. This year’s gubernatorial elections are unusually important because of the role that some governors play in redistricting, the process of dividing the nation into 435 Congressional districts that occurs after each Census. Redistricting is often a contentious process, but it is especially so in states that are bound to lose seats in Congress. The result can resemble a game of musical chairs, with too many incumbents vying for fewer districts. Among the states expected to lose seats are Iowa, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania – all states where the Republican nominee has emerged as a clear favorite.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 01:57 pm
After some checking, it appears that Nate Silver's analysis on the governors races is pretty much in line with that of the Cook Political Report, Larry Sabato, The Rothenberg Political Report and ElectionProjection.

Both Charlie Cook and Stu Rothenberg have updated their predictions to reflect the GOP will see a range of 6-8 net gains (this is a downward trend in the case of Rothenberg, who originally predicted 8+ for the GOP). Larry Sabato predicts there will be 32 Republican governors, and ElectionProjection is showing 31.

Still some major primary action to be seen in mid-September (9/14), and there's always the chance that emerging scandals, etc. could tilt some of the closer races with 2 months to go.
0 Replies