Oh, No! Election Day is Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010...

roger

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:07 pm
@realjohnboy,
I still think she's catching too much flak over the health care thing. If she and maybe Olympia Snowe had had more influence, we might have had a much better health care bill.

Still, all else being equal, I favor a Republican. Whatever happens here, I'm not going to be really unhappy.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 04:46 pm
Friday evening. Time for..."Ain't This Election Season Fun!"
> Joe Barton (R-TX) apologizes to BP for its being harassed by the U.S. for spilling oil in the Gulf. Under pressure from the Republican leadership, he apologizes for his initial apology.
> Bob Etheridge (D-NC) gets physical with a "student" on a D.C. street who asks him a rather innocuous question, grabbing him by a wrist and later by, perhaps, the kid's neck. "Who are you? I have the right to know who you are!" Etheridge apologizes later, saying he was having a rough day. He was walking to his office from a Nancy Pelosi fundraiser.
>Repub candidate for the House Bill Randall (NC) suggests that maybe, just maybe, the oil spill was deliberately planned by the government and BP. He declines to elaborate on a motive for the collusion.
>Carly Fiorina (R), who in challenging Barbara Boxer (D) for the Senate seat in California, cattily mocks Boxer for her hair-do. "God. What is that? It is so yesterday." Fiorina later says she did not realize that there was a microphone that was on. She expresses regret over the comment but said no apology is warranted.

That's it. We should get some new polls over the weekend and there might be some primaries.
I apologize for...um, whatever.

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:36 pm
WISCONSIN (6/22):
Rasmussen has incumbent Russ Feingold (D) ahead of the presumed Republican nominee, businessman Ron Johnson, by a statistically insignificant margin of 46% to 45%.
It has been a long slog for the Republicans to find a candidate. Former Governor Tommy Thompson was favored by many in the party and was ahead in the polls against Feingold early. But he chose not to run. Four other Repubs jumped in, with Johnson coming in in May.
Johnson won the endorsement of his party in a May convention. Another candidate withdrew and threw his support to him.
Yet another candidate, businessman Dave Westlake, is still running. That will force a Republicab primary on September 14th.
Feingold leads Westlake 47% to 41% in the Rasmussen poll.
I can't find any other recent polls on Real Clear Politics on the Wisconsin race.
Feingold won election in 2004 by 55% to 44%. President Obama carried WI against Senator John McCain 56% to 48%. Obama's approval rating is now 49% vs 51% who disapprove. That is slightly better than his faring nationally.
RCP lists this as a race that "leans Democrat." I would call it as a "Toss-up."
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:58 am
I meant to post this the other day...an article (opinion, actually) by Stu Rothenberg on the 'anti-incumbency' hype. He appears to think (with supporting back-up) that it's just that...hype. He goes on to say it's actually more of an 'anti-Democrat' atmosphere.

Quote:
Let's Poke Holes in the Anti-Incumbent Hype

Conservatives certainly are angrier and more mobilized than I’ve seen them in years, and in many races they are lining up behind conservative candidates who criticize incumbent Republicans for not being conservative or confrontational enough.

And in a few Democratic primaries, more liberal voters and activists have taken on incumbents not identified with the party’s left (Specter and Arkansas Sen. Blanche Lincoln, for example).

But come November, we will have a rather traditional midterm election. Angry voters will turn out to vote against the party in charge. And that’s why, ultimately, 2010 will be remembered as a Republican wave election, not an anti-incumbent year.
roger

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:20 pm
@Irishk,
DNC would much prefer us to be anti-incumbent than anti-Democrat. I agree; it's a sham movement.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:56 pm
Quote:
Oh, No! Election Day is Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010...

And how many people know who their congressmen are for their districts? How many people have really looked at how their candidates feel about particular issues?

And how about the candidates for local positions. Those people eventually percolate up to the higher positions years down the road. In order to get good people at the top, it helps to put good people in (into the meat grinder) at the bottom.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:37 am
Rasmussen had a new poll out yesterday on the Nevada senate race. He has Angle with a slight lead over Reid (48% to 41%). Intrade continues to favor Angle by a narrow margin.

Meanwhile, The Hill has a kind of humorous article on Harry's son, Rory, omitting his last name from his first gubernatorial campaign ad:

Quote:
Nevada gubernatorial candidate Rory Reid (D) is on the air with his first campaign ad and it’s missing one thing: his last name.

Reid, the son of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), doesn’t say his name at any point during the ad, but it prominently features his campaign logo, “Rory 2010.”

Observers noticed that throughout the gubernatorial primary, Rory Reid seemed to distance himself from his father, who faced high disapproval ratings from voters. …

Rory Reid’s website also neglects to mention his last name on its main banner, which reads “Rory 2010.”
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 01:10 pm
Amusing about Rory, IrishK.

NEVADA SENATE (6/24):
Rasmussen does indeed have Sharron Angle (R) leading Harry Reid (D) 48% to 41% with 8% preferring some other (unnamed) candidate and just 2% unsure.
Reid is a veteran member of the Senate and is the Senate Majority Leader. His incumbency, high visibility and active support of the health care bill have made him one of the more vulnerable Dems.
Angle is a former state Assemblywoman. She is a Christian Conservative and has the support of the Tea Party movement. Her margin here (7 points) is in line with where she has been since the 1st of the year when she was still seeking the Repub nomination. She did get a bounce in a Rasmussen poll taken June 9th after she won the Repub primary. She led than 50% to 39%.
Here is an interesting thing to note. Reid is viewed Favorably by 48% of those surveyed and Unfavorably by 49% with 22% regarding him Very Favorably vs 43% Very Unfavorably.
Angle is seen Favorably by 48% (Very Favorably 17%) against 47% Unfavorably (Very Unfavorably 33%).
It looks like a lot of voters will be unlikely to change their minds.
Angle strongly supports the stiff new anti-immigration law in neighboring AZ. The Obama administration may challenge that law in court, but they may delay that until after the November election.
Real Clear Politics calls this one a toss-up and I have no quibble with that. There are no other recent polls that I am aware of.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 02:07 pm
Meg Whitman, Republican candidate for Gov in CA, has spent about 60 million of her own fortune to run her campaign so far - but is still running into trouble from her past.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/15/us/politics/15whitman.html?scp=2&sq=whitman&st=cse

Quote:
Settlement Was Paid in Whitman Shoving Incident
By BRAD STONE

SAN FRANCISCO — During her 10 years as chief executive of eBay, Meg Whitman, the Republican candidate for governor of California, was known as a demanding leader who did not hesitate to express displeasure with employees who failed to live up to her standards.

But on one occasion, she was accused of going too far — and paid for it.

In June 2007, an eBay employee claimed that Ms. Whitman became angry and forcefully pushed her in an executive conference room at eBay’s headquarters, according to multiple former eBay employees with knowledge of the incident. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because the matter was delicate and was deemed to be strictly confidential.

The employee, Young Mi Kim, was preparing Ms. Whitman for a news media interview that day. Ms. Kim, who was not injured in the incident, hired a lawyer and threatened a lawsuit, but the dispute was resolved under the supervision of a private mediator.

Two of the former employees said the company paid a six-figure financial settlement to Ms. Kim, which one of them characterized as “around $200,000.”

An agreement to keep the matter confidential was also part of the settlement, and the authorities were not involved.

Ms. Whitman was counseled in the matter, the former eBay employees said, by the company’s human resources lawyers and by Henry Gomez, then president of the Skype unit at eBay and now a senior adviser to Ms. Whitman’s campaign.

Ms. Kim still works at eBay and is now a senior manager for corporate and executive communications. At the time of the incident, she had recently joined eBay from the Gap. She left the company for about four months, returning to work in October 2007 after the matter was resolved.

When reached by telephone on Monday, Ms. Kim said the issue was a “private matter” and declined to comment. Later, in an e-mail message, Ms. Kim said she and Ms. Whitman had overcome their differences.

“Yes, we had an unfortunate incident, but we resolved it in a way that speaks well for her and for eBay,” Ms. Kim said. “And ultimately, I came back to the company, which is not something I had to do.”

The Whitman campaign issued a statement signed by Ms. Whitman that described Ms. Kim as a “respected colleague and valuable asset to the company.”

“In any high-pressure working environment, tensions can surface,” the statement said. “Young Mi and I had a professional disagreement, which we put behind us. She and I continued to work together at eBay, where I valued her skilled counsel and thorough professionalism.”

Ms. Whitman won the California Republican primary for governor last week by boasting of her management experience and an unwillingness to “let California fail.”

Central to her résumé, which does not include any political experience, is her tenure running eBay, during which she took a small auction site with 30 employees and expanded it into a Fortune 500 company with 15,500 employees.

Interviews with many former eBay executives who worked with Ms. Whitman suggest that the episode with Ms. Kim, and the behavior alleged, was an anomaly.

They say Ms. Whitman was demanding and would often express sharp bursts of anger toward employees whose work or preparation she found lacking. But they knew of no other similar accusations.

According to several current and former eBay employees, the incident with Ms. Kim took place on the morning of June 1, 2007, when Ms. Whitman was preparing for an interview with the news wire Reuters on an online virtual world called Second Life, where people appear as cartoonlike avatars.

Ms. Kim was briefing Ms. Whitman for the interview that morning by writing talking points on the whiteboard in Ms. Whitman’s personal conference room at eBay’s headquarters in San Jose, Calif.

Details of the dispute are somewhat vague, since no one else appears to have witnessed it. But according to employees familiar with the incident, Ms. Whitman became angry with Ms. Kim before the interview, partly because Ms. Whitman felt unprepared for the conversation with Reuters.

Ms. Kim later told at least one colleague that Ms. Whitman used an expletive and shoved her. According to one of the eBay employees knowledgeable about Ms. Whitman’s version of the incident, Ms. Whitman said that she had physically guided Ms. Kim out of the conference room.

Ms. Kim left eBay’s offices later that day, and in the ensuing weeks, Ms. Whitman tried to reach out to Ms. Kim several times to apologize, according to one former eBay employee close to Ms. Kim. Later, eBay suggested supervised mediation to resolve the matter, and Ms. Kim agreed.

The mediation took place in the San Francisco office of Jams, a private dispute resolution service that employs many former judges, the former employee said. Jams did not respond to requests for comment.

Ms. Whitman announced she was leaving eBay a few months after the mediation, in January 2008. She had said early in her time at eBay that she anticipated staying at the company for a decade. The company was under a variety of pressures at the time, as its stock sharply declined because of a stagnant auctions business and competitive advances from the likes of Amazon.com and Google.

On the campaign trail and in debates against her primary opponents, Ms. Whitman has been a steady presence, although she has been criticized as being awkward with the news media.

In March, she drew fire when she declined to take questions from assembled reporters at a campaign event in Oakland that the campaign had called an “open press stop."

The fact that she is held in high regard by some former colleagues has been a point of pride for the Whitman campaign. In the campaign’s second statewide television advertisement, four former eBay executives and one former eBay board member praised Ms. Whitman’s leadership style.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 02:42 pm
Thanks Cyclo on the CA Gov race. Here is one more Senate report.
NORTH CAROLINA (6/24):
Rasmussen has incumbent Richard Burr (R) leading Secretary of State Elaine Marshall (D) by a statistically insignificant 44% to 43%.
This poll was taken just a few days after Marshall won a prolonged quest for the Democrat nomination that included two primary elections. She probably is getting a bit of a bounce that is common. Previously, going back to September, she drew support in the mid-30's.
Burr, meanwhile, is down from 50%.
Obama won NC 50% to 49% in 2008, becoming the first Dem to carry the state since 1976. Kay Kagan (D) defeated the incumbent Elizabeth Dole (R) 52% to 48%.
RCP lists this contest as leaning Repub. I am not sure it will be that close for the Dems. Obama is less popular than he was and Marshall won't be able to ride his coattails like Kagan did. And while NC is becoming a little bit blue, much of that was achieved due to enthusiastic turnout of many young voters. I don't see that happening in an off-year election.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:39 am
SurveyUSA also polled for this race yesterday. They have Burr at 50%, Marshall at 40%.

Analysis and filtering method at the link.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 12:27 pm
Thanks, Irishk. The SurveyUSA poll wasn't on RCP when I wrote about NC.
Larry Sabato of UVA has a blurb about NC which I found today. He claims that the national Democrat leadership favored state Senator Cal Cunningham to face the incumbent Republican, Richard Burr. But in the 1st primary, Elaine Marshall got 36% of the votes vs 27% for Cunningham. Other candidates split the rest. In the runoff primary Marshall garnered 60%.
Turnout in the primaries was, as expected, low. African American Dems went big for Marshall and there was a sentiment amongst many Dems that Cunningham was too conservative.
Sabato says that this Senate seat is the most unstable one in the country. In the next breath, though, he say he has it in the Leans Republican column but expects to see it move to Likely Republican as November approaches. Burr has $5M to spend and voter turnout is expected to be low.
Irishk

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 12:58 pm
@realjohnboy,
The Rothenberg Politican Report moved it from Leans Republican to Republican Favored last Thursday, 6/24. He cites Marshall's limited fund raising success, along with the dynamics of this election cycle. I also think it will depend a lot on turnout.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 02:44 pm
WASHINGTON SENATE (6/25)
The Republicans will hold their primary on Aug 17th to choose a candidate to run against incumbent Democrat Patty Murray. She is seeking her 4th six-year term.
Rasmussen has her tied at 47-47 with the 2 time candidate for Governor, Dino Rossi. She leads businessman Paul Akers and former football player Clint Didier by close to double digits. Didier is supported by the Teaparty movement. A separate poll of Repubs has Rossi winning the nomination.
Despite the tie between Murray and Rossi, I would be stunned to see Murray lose in a state with a solid Dem background.
Murray won in 2004 with 55%. The other seat went to a Dem in 2006 who garnered 57%. Obama carried WA with 53% and his approval rating is still at 51%.
RCP lists this as a tossup based on a small collection of recent polls. I would put it at least in the Leans Dem camp; perhaps even Likely Dem.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 04:02 pm
One more thing. Over on the Obama '08 thread there is a poster who writes (or cuts and pastes) about all of the reasons why President Obama should be/must be/will be impeached.
I asked him to identify House or Senate races where a candidate is running on that platform. So far, we have one. Perhaps there are others.
Kesha Rogers won the Democrat nomination for the House in a district west of Houston, Texas.
I did commentary in my usual style on that contest. If someone has some spare time, please copy it to this site so we can keep an eye on it. It is on the Obama '08 thread in a post I did on June 23rd at 5:22 pm.
Thanks.
Irishk

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:26 am
@realjohnboy,
Brave of you to wade into that thread, where, with few exceptions, it's become mostly juvenile sniping and personal attacks. I found your post, though lol.

realjohnboy (from the Obama '08 thread) wrote:
Kesha Rogers, the winner of a Democrat primary for Congress in Texas, is interesting. She is a 33 year old African-American who won 53% of the votes against two opponents who split the remaining 47%.
She has allied herself with the Lyndon Larouche Youth Movement. I don't know much about them. I vaguely recall they are against globalization and our membership in the UN.
Her district in the suburbs of Houston includes many NASA workers, upset with Obama due to his restructuring of our space mission. One of her campaign slogans was "Save NASA. Impeach Obama." Another was "Send me to Congress, and we can send our children to Mars."
She also toted around a poster of Obama with a Hitler-esque moustache drawn on with a Sharpie.
It should also be noted that this was an open primary with no proof of party membership required.
There are several A2Kers in the area. I will ask them for comments and will add this contest to the ones we are watching on the other thread.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:45 am
@realjohnboy,
On the subject of Ms. Rogers, though, is her mentioning of impeachment really a major part of her platform, or is it a byproduct of a larger issue, which would be the economy and jobs? I can't imagine, if elected, that she would pursue the effort, especially as a Democrat, but perhaps is using it as a rather eye-catching slogan to get the people's attention.

On the other side of the spectrum, Stuart Rothenberg published an article last Friday on why the Democrats might want to rethink "Bush bashing" as part of their vote-seeking narratives in November:

Quote:
History shows how difficult it is for the president’s party to pass on blame to an earlier administration. In 1982, Republicans lost more than two dozen House seats because of a recession that eventually pulled the country out of a stagflation that occurred during the presidency of Jimmy Carter.

Blaming Carter for the nation’s problems two years after voters threw him out of office didn’t work for Republicans in 1982, and it isn’t likely to work any better for Democrats this year.

http://rothenbergpoliticalreport.blogspot.com/
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 01:46 pm
Yes, I do frequent the Obama thread and the Conservatism and the Economy threads. There are a few people still posting whom I respect while disagreeing with them. I even post once in awhile. I have kept myself positioned as being somewhat above the fray with long, often boring, paragraphs that I write. Cut and paste or withering attempts at wit is the norm.
This was a good one from today: "You dishonest, delusional, uneducated bigot, (with) perhaps...a drinking problem."
This sleepy little thread is so far under the radar of those folks eager to see who can be the most offensive.
Thanks, all, for sharing your observations. -rjb
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 01:35 pm
The death of Robert C Byrd (Dem-West Virginia) will, temporarily, leave a vacancy that may stall the administration's agenda.
The Governor, conservative Democrat Joe Manchin (pro-life, pro-gun, pro-military), gets to make an interim appointment. He would like to name himself but that rarely works out well. The electorate sees that as self-serving. Instead he is likely to find someone to keep the seat warm until there is an election (like Charlie Crist did in Florida). Under WVA law that election can no longer be held in 2010 and probably would be in 2012. A challenge to the law could move it to 2011 but I am hearing 2012, probably set to coincide with the general election that year.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 10:28 am
Exactly one week ago, Rasmussen polled the Wisconsin Senate race, showing the Dem incumbent, Russ Feingold, at 46% and Repub challenger, Ron Johnson at 45%. (Primary is in September).

PPP's new poll, just out today, has Feingold up by 2:

Quote:
It's looking more and more likely that Wisconsin will be in the top tier of competitive Senate races this fall. Russ Feingold leads challenger Ron Johnson by only two points, 45-43. Johnson is polling closer to Feingold than Tommy Thompson was as he contemplated a potential campaign.

Wisconsin voters are evenly divided in their feelings about Feingold with 42% giving him good marks and 42% think he's doing a poor job. Feingold's reviews are nearly completely polarized along party lines, with 71% of Democrats approving of him and 72% of Republicans disapproving. Independents are also against him by a 39/46 margin, reflecting their unhappiness with most all incumbents across the country right now.

More analysis and link to methodology at the website, linked above.

Fivethirtyeight.com has new Senate analysis out today and rates this race as 'Likely Democrat', although Nate qualifies that with the following comment:

Quote:
Wisconsin. The model is not really willing to bank very much money on Russ Feingold being beaten by some no-name based on Rasmussen polling alone, especially with Feingold's approval numbers still being okay-ish. If other pollsters start to show the same thing, as PPP has hinted that they might, it could start to feel differently.

http://www.538host.com/senmini.png
0 Replies