Young folk singer dead after attack by coyotes in Nova Scotia park

djjd62

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:46 pm
Young folk singer dead after attack by coyotes in Nova Scotia park
By Alison Auld (CP) " 16 minutes ago

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/media/ALeqM5h_qQxRE_NMAspsTrXovUoFclJwYA?size=l
Taylor Mitchell is pictured in this undated promotional photo. A rare coyote attack has claimed the life of a young folk singer-songwriter from Toronto. Police say 19-year-old Taylor Mitchell received severe bites while she was hiking alone yesterday along the Skyline trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park. THE CANADIAN PRESS/ HO- LW Communications

HALIFAX, N.S. " A young Canadian folk singer who had just set off on a solo tour to boost a promising musical career died Wednesday after being mauled by two coyotes in what is believed to be one of the country's first fatal attacks by the animals.

Taylor Mitchell was hiking alone in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park on Tuesday afternoon when a pair of coyotes attacked her, leaving her critically injured with bite wounds covering most of her body.

The 19-year-old singer's screams for help were heard by at least two other hikers, who rushed to the Skyline Trail and called 911 at around 3 p.m. as the animals continued their brutal attack on the young Toronto woman.

Mitchell, who was on a three-week tour of the region to promote her debut CD, was to play in Sydney, N.S., on Wednesday night when she decided to go for a hike in the scenic park.

"She loved going into the woods and hiking," Lisa Weitz, her manager in Toronto, said through tears. "She was absolutely pumped about her first tour on the East Coast and to take her songwriting craft to new audiences...

"She just had a wonderful joy of life and sharing music."

Mitchell, who had about a dozen concert dates in the Maritimes, was rushed to a local hospital and then airlifted to Halifax. She died at about 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, police said.

Paul Maynard of Emergency Health Services said she was already in critical condition when paramedics arrived on the scene and was bleeding heavily from multiple bite wounds.

"She was losing a considerable amount of blood from the wounds," he said.

"This was really out of the ordinary - the first I've heard of something like this."

RCMP Sgt. Brigdit Leger said officers shot one of the two animals, apparently wounding it, but both managed to get away.

An official with Parks Canada said they barricaded the entrance to the trail where Mitchell was attacked and were trying to find the animals to determine what prompted such an unusual attack.

Helene Robichaud, the park's superintendent, said there have been a handful of reports of aggressive coyotes over the last 15 years, but they have not seen any attacks on people.

"There's been some reports of aggressive animals, so it's not unknown," she said. "But we certainly never have had anything so dramatic and tragic."

Officials shot a coyote late Tuesday, but Robichaud doubted that it was one of the two involved in the attack.

The provincial Natural Resources Department said there is no other record of a fatal coyote attack on a human in Nova Scotia since the animals were first discovered in the province in the '70s.

In 2003, a teenage girl was bitten on the arm by a coyote while walking on the same trail as Mitchell, said Germaine LeMoine of Parks Canada. The girl's parents managed to scare the animal away.

Biologists said it's unlikely the coyotes involved had contracted rabies or were protecting young animals.

Bob Bancroft, a Nova Scotia wildlife biologist, said coyotes shy away from humans. But not all animals - particularly young, inexperienced coyotes in parks - view humans as predators.

"This is probably just a couple of coyotes that saw something vulnerable and went for it," he said. "It's horrible. It's not something you would expect at all."

Coyotes in the region are larger and behave somewhat differently than their counterparts in Western Canada, he said. Large males in Nova Scotia can weigh up to 60 pounds.

Simon Gadbois, a professor at Dalhousie University who studies animal behaviour, said hikers should always be vigilant and aware of their surroundings.

Should a hiker unintentionally surprise a coyote or other animal, Gadbois has simple, potentially life-saving advice: Never act like prey."The worst thing you can do is start running away," he said. "Wave your arms, shout, just show that you mean business basically and most animals will think twice."

Ethel Merry, who manages a motel 10 kilometres from the park in Cheticamp, said people in the area have been seeing more coyotes in the last three years and are calling for controls on their numbers.

Merry said she and her family have seen packs of up to seven coyotes wandering around people's yards and attacking pets.

"I'm not surprised at all that this happened," she said. "The coyotes are all around us. ... I am so afraid to walk my road."

Mitchell, who graduated from the Etobicoke School of the Arts, had recently been nominated for a Canadian Folk Music Award and was being roundly praised for her songwriting talent.

Mitchell's MySpace site shows the singer standing in the woods with her guitar and a suitcase at her side, along with the cover photo of her album, "For Your Consideration."

Weitz said the singer had just gotten her licence and a new car, which she loaded with her CDs before setting off alone on the tour.

"She was a beautiful, dynamic, young, talented woman and we're all so saddened and shocked," Weitz said.

"She was such a young and old soul at the same time. She just knew how to beautifully craft a song."

Singer Suzie Vinnick met the performer about three years ago and acted as a mentor, teaching her guitar as Mitchell played bars in Ontario and started to garner attention.

"She was really keen and hungry in a really positive way," she said in an interview. "She was a great lyricist and held a lot of promise. I mean, she was at it for two years and already managed to get a Canadian Folk Music nomination."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 25 • Views: 12,800 • Replies: 192

Rockhead

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:52 pm
@djjd62,
damn.

that's really weird.

and sad.

RIP Taylor...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 04:31 pm
@djjd62,
Yikes. That's some nasty sh*t. People aren't used to being off the top of the food chain. It's shocking to be reminded that other animals can think of us as food.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 04:34 pm
This is why you don't wear steaks around you neck.
littlek

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 04:38 pm
Sorry for the young woman.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 05:35 pm
Such a sad story. It is also unfortunate that some find it in themselves to make jokes over such a tragic event. Another fine Canadian talent gone.
kuvasz

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 05:37 pm
@McGentrix,
That is a real, horrific tragedy.

Its why I hike with three 100 pound Kuvasz. Mine have killed several coyotes on my properties in Georgia and North Carolina, and while my oldest and now deceased Aja was only 18 months 0ld, she ripped out the throat of a big rotwiller that attacked me in a park in Virginia. I'd have been dog food were it not for my Aja coming to my rescue. I wish the woman would have had a dog by her side. Likely, it would have saved her life.

btw A 60-pound coyote is not likely a young one.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 05:36 am

This keeps happening to hikers. If its not coyotes, its a cougar, or a bear.
Even if she had a little 2 inch .38 revolver, that woud have
been enuf to control the situation and end the emergency.
Just pop a round into either coyote and thay 'd flee.
Counteraggression is what does the trick.
If the same animals had attacked "Sgt. Brigdit Leger"
she 'd have had no trouble in repelling such an attack; ez.
If she did not have a gun, then minimally,
she shoud have a bladed weapon.

Even a strong counterattack with her guitar,
as a club probably woud have deterrered them.
No kidding around: hikers need defensive weapons.
Failure to possess them is irresponsible and reduces one 's place in the food chain.

David
NickFun

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 12:55 pm
I wouldn't call her irresponsible at all. I've been hiking in the Canadian woods many times and never had a problem. Coyotes rarely attack humans. These two must have been starving.

I do carry a knife with me when hiking but I've never had to use it to fend off an attacking animal.
kuvasz

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 12:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't what what it is with gun nuts. All they can think of for solutions to problems is firearms.

A single dog, simply one dog would have driven off the coyotes, or would have prevented an attack by them. There is no reason to suggest carrying a fire arm except for it being this guy's object of his fetish. Precisely.

Quote:
"When the only tool you have is a hammer, it is tempting to treat everything as if it were a nail."
Abraham Maslow
Ceili

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 01:19 pm
This is really sad. The girls death and some of the comments...

I went for a walk recently in a graveyard near my house. I was surprised to see two coyotes there. The graveyard in the centre of the city, nowhere near the river or the nature trail system. They gave me a wide berth, but I doubt hunger was an issue, plenty of fat hares in the area.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 04:23 pm
@NickFun,
NickFun wrote:

I wouldn't call her irresponsible at all. I've been hiking in the Canadian woods
many times and never had a problem. Coyotes rarely attack humans.
These two must have been starving. MAYBE THAT CONSOLED HER.

I do carry a knife with me when hiking but I've never had to use it to fend off an attacking animal.
A knife is not much,
but it probably woud have been enuf
to ward off coyotes or hummingbirds.

Going hiking unarmed thru woods is irresponsible
for the same reason that driving without a seatbelt is.
Most likely: u will not have a collision and not need it,
but its better to have a gun and not need it
than it is to NEED a gun and not have it, as our late folksinger discovered.

Most of the hikers who have been attacked by cougars or bears, etc.
have had that happen after a great amount of hiking in peace, uneventfully.

Irresponsibile.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 04:33 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Such a sad story. It is also unfortunate that some find it in themselves to make jokes over such a tragic event.
Another fine Canadian talent gone.
Another fine UNARMED Canadian talent gone.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 04:35 pm

By the way:
I suspect that NOT ALL Canadians are dum enuf
to go hiking in the woods UNARMED.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 06:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
My God, you are one sick bastard, David!
Intrepid

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 08:59 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

My God, y
ou are one sick bastard, David!

Hear, hear
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:50 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

My God, y
ou are one sick bastard, David!

Hear, hear
It blows my mind that u woud say that, Andy.
Let me take u off Ignore.

My position in this matter is that pretty (presumably) sweet,
innocent young folk singers shoud not become the prey of wild animals,
but rather: if a predatory emergenccy arises,
then the pretty (presumably) sweet, innocent young folk singer
shoud WIN the confrontation. That means that (to make that happen)
she must possess the necessary emergency equipment to control the situation.

To THIS position, u say that I am sick
and that my parents were unmarried, because I was on HER SIDE
and I wanted to KEEP HER ALIVE.

If that be your position, sir, then I must infer
that it is your malicious position that its OK
for pretty (presumably) sweet, innocent young folk singers
to be killed by wild animals, BUT THAY MUST BE UNARMED.
That 's ` the important thing.

In my opinion, that position is perverted, twisted and gross.

People need to act responsibly and sensibly:
no unsafe sex,
no drunken driving
and no going around unarmed.

This is what happens (sometimes).

I hope that future hikers will learn from this example.

David
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 11:33 pm
You know David, sometimes a simple RIP or sorry to see ya go is enough. I don't know much about the folk singer. This girl was young, from Toronto - a massive city, it was her first big tour, probably first time she's been alone. She went for a walk, probably not to far from the gig. Violence, crime and animals attacking people are rare in Cape Breton. This ain't Jersey or the Rocky Mountains. This is one of the most peaceful places on earth. Obviously there had been a problem before, but no one had either warned or done anything about it, because well... it's pretty un.heard.of. She was naive, but that's hardly good reason to make fun of her.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 11:51 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

You know David, sometimes a simple RIP or sorry to see ya go is enough. I don't know much about the folk singer. This girl was young, from Toronto - a massive city, it was her first big tour, probably first time she's been alone. She went for a walk, probably not to far from the gig. Violence, crime and animals attacking people are rare in Cape Breton. This ain't Jersey or the Rocky Mountains. This is one of the most peaceful places on earth. Obviously there had been a problem before, but no one had either warned or done anything about it, because well... it's pretty un.heard.of. She was naive, but that's hardly good reason to make fun of her.
I did not make fun of her.
Nothing I said was in humor.
U say that no one had warned her,
which very well might be true.

I earnestly hope that other hikers will accept this misadventure
as a warning to be properly equipped for safety
so that it will not happen again. It keeps happening.

I saw on the National Geographic Channel recently that another hiker girl
was killed by a bear, within 2 hours after she was offered a gun and rejected it.
It is just not safe; guns shoud be carried in the same spirit that seatbelts are worn.
Personal safety is important and it is not humorous.

I wish to live in a world wherein all of my fellow citizens are well armed and, therefore: safer

David