To stay or not to stay ---That is the question.

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 10:27 pm
I've been wondering of late whether or not to stay engaged in A2K.

It's pretty clear that it has become an overwhelmingly left-wing forum, but I don't think that's, necessarily, a reason to opt out.

It's also clear that there are a handful of jackasses who prowl this forum and who prefer to engage in personal attacks rather than debate ideas. Again, not, necessarily, a reason to opt out.

I admit that a great many of my posts serve no purpose other than to focus my view on a subject, but I do enjoy it when there is a serious response (kudos to Robert Gentel, engineer, freeduck, Diest and even ebrown. I'm sure there are others I'm not acknowledging and so apologize to them)

I've tried to refrain from the back and forth with A2K snot-noses, but admit I've not been anything approaching perfect in this resolve. Sometimes these wankers just push me over the edge.

(As for you A2K snot-noses - Just reflect on how many times your names arise in complaints about civility in this forum)

I freely admit that whether or not I remain engaged in A2K has virtually nothing to do with its sustainability and the question of whether or not I do, is meaningful to myself alone.

It is also pretty clear that, for the most part, it is only the like-minded left of center participants who experience some sort of familial networking with A2K. The right of center participants are not looking to this forum for such a reward, and have no idea, and couldn't care less who Dyslexia's mates is, whether or not edgarblythe has visited the homes of fellow A2kers, and whether or not Setanta is wed to a dog or a woman.

Nothing wrong with a cyber-family of sorts, and in fact there is much to be said for a vehicle that brings like-minded people together, but A2K, from a political standpoint, is becoming less and less a forum for debate and more and more an echo chamber of left-wing thought.

I'm disappointed in the progression of the site, but not complaining.

As indicated, I use the forum to refine my position on subjects and so may continue in this manner, but it's not a lot of fun. Trading insults with dolts may provide momentary satisfaction, but I always end up regreting the exchanges days later.

If someone knows of an alternate forum and would love to see me vacate A2K, please serve both our desires and cue me in.

A place for everyone to say the same thing and congratulate each other on their brilliance is not appealing to me, but it's a simple comfort for some that's hard to deplore.

I've greatly enjoyed my participation on A2K as I did my participation on Abuzz, but the time came to flee the latter and it may be the time to depart the former.

Once again just Finn musing. Take it as you please.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 39 • Views: 22,989 • Replies: 349

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 10:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It's pretty clear that it has become an overwhelmingly left-wing forum,

That's not necessarily a bad thing.
(I think you're mistaken, but -- still -- that would not be such a bad thing.)
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 11:05 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:

And if it were an overwhelmingly right wing forum?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 11:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Hopefully you agree that it is exceptionally rare to find a place where red and blue can co-exist while not hiding our political beliefs. A2k was such a place, and increasingly is not such a place. It is long past time for an examination of our opinions on diversity, for while most of us vigorously claim that we believe in it our behaviour indicates otherwise. We should also talk about human dignity and mutual respect, and while we don't practice it we at least are not hypocrites because we don't claim to.....but maybe we should.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 11:20 pm
You could always click on 'ignore' for the people you feel are the most frustrating for you.

I have ignore 2 such posters; the worst one on the left and the right.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 11:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It's pretty clear that it has become an overwhelmingly left-wing forum

You may be right, especially when it comes to US politics. You US folk would know best about that, I guess ...

But what I have noticed (more so recently) is that "debates" often seem so boringly black & white. With few "shades of grey" considerations to make them interesting. (well, some of the ones I've been following, anyway). I wish there was more in-depth discussion about the particular issues under consideration, rather than people just flatly stating their fixed positions, then attacking those who disagree. It gets pretty predictable.
But this might just be me. I've always been more interested in a good discussion, despite having strong views on particular issues.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 01:34 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I agree with Ms. Olga and I have to say I enjoy reading your stuff Finn because you're a conservative (I guess) who seems to see the nuances and approaches issues and communicates your thoughts on them pragmatically, with common sense and insight.
It seems to be more about humanity and life with you than about republican and democrat. I think that's pretty key.
When the predictability takes over (and over and over) as in, okay - this is an issue about racism - so and so and so and so will say this and be on this side and so and so and so and so and so and so will say that and be on that side- what's the point of reading? You can pretty much write the script...

One reason I stay engaged, as I like you have not seemed to have found my little niche in the a2k friendship community - is that here's a record of your thoughts and ideas (and for me, creative writing and photographs) that anyone can access- you at a later date to remember how you were- your kids if they want to get to know you on a different level...you know not to say you're near death or anything Laughing - but I have often thought when people have died how comforting it must be for their relatives to be able to 'read' them and 'know' them and revisit them by visiting this forum.
It's like a daily diary really - but much more in depth.

I think you're a good writer and funny - so I hope you stay.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 05:00 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn there are plenty of right wing forums where you positions would not be challenge to any degree if that what you are wishing for.

If you wish however to test and challenge your own thinking then this would be an ideal place for you to be, if not I am sure that there are a lot of Rush L. supporting forums that would welcome you with open arms.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 05:40 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Do what you think you should, but you do add a lot to the forum.
djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 05:59 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:

wouldn't bother me, i'll mock politicians of either side if they deserve it
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 06:00 am
let me also add, i hate to see anybody go
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 06:04 am
@roger,
I agree with Rog. I also find that there are just a few right wing and left wingers who buy "THE ENTIRE" menu of their stripe. AS a member once saidWere all conservative , just about different things".

When a discussion gets too raging around someone jamming their heels in and not trying to see the other side, I notice that several of the reasonable ones (you included) dont continue in a fight that gets increasingly personal.

I find that you, Rog, David, (when hes not stuck in a full time ballistics mode) , georgeob, and Brandon take a lot of abuse and still come back and give equal measure of logic.
I find that Im a natural bleedin heart about so many social issues that I like to hear how my stuff is perceived by someones who dont buy it in the least. Its healthy.

However, to remove yourself from the fray would be a loss to this community.

I look at you like my uncle Stash who never liked anything about Roosevelt and thought Eisenhower was a sellout. Obviously Thanksgiving in a predominantly Democratic family would be interesting with an Uncle Stash to stir the pot.

I think that A2k contains several mixes of Liberal. We have the Doctrinaire liberal, the moderately liberal, and the occasionally liberal. We also have the Full Kool Aid conservative, the moderate conservative, and the issue conservative (I think the issue conservative and the occasionally liberal are the same guy).
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 11:18 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:

If it were overwhelmingly right wing, it's unlikely I would be coming here too often or participating in any debates. What's to debate with people who are in agreement with each other and disagreement with me? The good thing about A2k is that although a majority of its members might be more or less 'liberal' (whatever that means and however you wish to define it), there is enough of an opposition to make debates interesting. If there were no Finns or McGentrixes here, this site would get awfully dull with everyone patting each other's backs.
kuvasz

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 07:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Apology accepted.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It's pretty clear that it has become an overwhelmingly left-wing forum...

If that's true, I wonder why it happened.

Why would any particular Internet Forum become predominantly Left-Wing or Right-Wing?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:08 pm
There are times I consider Finn too much of a shitass to engage. But, of late, he has been more bearable. Whether or not he stays should have nothing to do with whether I visit dyslexia, but that's his call.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:29 pm
I have the impression that A2k is slowly, but steadily winding down to a core of disparate but very small groups around various entertainment threads "Where am I now" and things like that; and the familiar cadre of usually rather strident left wing loonies on the few remaining political threads (If they didn't have okie, what would they do ??) and a couple of persistent right wing challengers who manage to sustain their indignation.

In particular the political threads appear to have lost most of the discussion element they once had and to have instead degenerated to a series of shouting matches by folks who appear to regard it all as a contest which one either wins or looses. It has been some time since I have read anything original or all that interesting. The name-calling and "gotcha" games, in particular, make it increasingly the sort of conversation a sane person would choose to avoid.

Indeed that may well be what is happening. Overall it appears - at least on the surface - that participation generally is declining, and that the quality of what remains is less than formerly. I would regret seeing the site fade away, but I don't see anything out there that might reverse the trend.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 10:44 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I have the impression that A2k is slowly, but steadily winding down to a core of disparate but very small groups around various entertainment threads "Where am I now" and things like that

In the older days we played the "Where am I" game even more vigorously,
George - especially Francis! Wink

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 02:17 am
I'm a Canuck. I appreciate a good argument. I may not agree with anything a person says, but if it's said in a reasonable manner or is particularly interesting, I'll pay attention. I may not be swayed, but at least I have another opinion to consider. Any opinion not screamed at me from an angry TV personality is a good answer..
What pisses me off, is writing an answer and being completely ignored. By-passed as it were. It happens all the time, cause I'm not a member of good standing I guess. So, I may one day decide to do the same. Why bother writing anything when you have trolls dissecting the minutiae or no response at all.
Personally, I hate to see you go. But, you probably have no idea who I am anyways, so I'll leave it at that.
Ceili

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 02:21 am
Plus I love the name Finn (my daughters nickname) and the ancient,giant red deer.
0 Replies