Pet peeves in women's (or men's) wear

ehBeth

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 11:32 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The perpetuation of the status quo. Casual acceptance of pointless customs and rule don't serve society or ourselves in any way.

But, that's just my opinion, and whatever people want to wear on their feet is fine with me.

maybe it's pointless, maybe not

If you ever decide to leave your current employment setting, you can revisit all of this.
Linkat

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 11:32 am
@aidan,
I also do not like to keep my feet enclosed - although I do like many different style of shoes. I love being bare foot. And even at work when I have a day where I am at my desk for a good portion of the workday, I will take my heels off - please don't tell.
0 Replies

aidan

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 01:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
All of my socks r black.
Thay r black n identical.

Do you wear them with shorts?
roger

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 01:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I follow the exact same strategy. No time wasted on selections in the morning. No mismatched pairs. If one sock gets lost in the laundry, I am not short by one sock. I have an extra sock, and they all still match.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 04:49 am
Aviator sunglasses. Simply. Can't. Stand. Them.

The very worst to me is what some might call hipster clothes. A pet peeve of mine. You know, wearing things ironically. Or whatever. Suddenly a new crop up around me of full grown men in tuxedo t shirts. Trucker hats. And those aviator sunglasses on men and women.

A lot of sunglasses actually make me want to cast my eyes away. More in a giggly type of way than anything. The ultra huge ones. The ones with labels on the sides. Hilarious. But yes, a pet peeve.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 05:15 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
All of my socks r black.
Thay r black n identical.

Do you wear them with shorts?
With 100% certainty:
I have never considered that issue b4 u raised it.
However, I seldom wear shorts; maybe in my backyard,
where I am alone, except for the occasional blue jay,
cardinal, sparrow, squirrel or pussycat in transit.

David
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 05:47 am
I rarely carry a purse. All my life, I bought oversized pocketbooks, and the weight of them did a number on my back.

My gripe is that womens' pants do not have roomy pockets like mens'. As a result, in the summer, I buy mens' cargo shorts almost exclusively.
OmSigDAVID

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 06:00 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

The perpetuation of the status quo. Casual acceptance of pointless customs and rule don't serve society or ourselves in any way.
But, that's just my opinion, and whatever people want to wear on their feet is fine with me.

If you ever decide to leave your current employment setting, you can revisit all of this.
Tho, truely, this issue has never actually arisen in my experience:
I doubt that I 'd even hire a delivery boy who applied for a job dressed that way.
(I hired both professional and non-professional staff for my law firm.)
Such an employment application woud have been received within
a context of mirth, b4 a competing applicant were chosen.

The closest that I ever came to actually addressing that issue
was when I once encountered a lad who admitted being crazy,
receiving psychiatric care, who was drawing a resume by hand,
not for printing, nor even as a model for typing, but for direct use.

He considered it very important that he find a job somewhere.
In support of my effort to convince him to have someone type it for him,
I compared it to someone showing up barefooted for an employment interview
(to make my point of how foolish it 'd make him look). If I were ever to apply
for a job (not likely), I 'd even abandon fonetic spelling for that purpose
and revert to the conventional paradime, so as to avoid standing out.

David
spendius

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:33 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
). If I were ever to apply

Bullshit. You would abandon it to avoid them chucking your letter in the bin.

Still--you got in again what an important person you are and, as such, someone we should all look up to in wonder and awestruck admiration.

Fancy telling little porkies like that Dave.

spendius

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:36 am
@Phoenix32890,
"Men's cargo shorts" are very appropriate in view of the burden in the hold.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:28 am
@spendius,
David wrote:
Quote:
). If I were ever to apply for a job (not likely),
I 'd even abandon fonetic spelling for that purpose

spendius wrote and faked that he did not understand:
Quote:
That amounts to the same as I said.
U r only PRETENDING to be too stupid to understand.
Come on: admit it!

spendius wrote:
Quote:
Still--you got in again what an important person you are and,
as such, someone we should all look up to in wonder and awestruck admiration.
Is someone we know feeling jealous? First its my education and now this. Where does it end ??

I am retired, enjoying a tranquil, beauty filled, undemanding life.
I am important to ME. That 's what I care about.

U can hire all the barefooted employees u want, Spendius.

spendius wrote:
Quote:
Fancy telling little porkies like that Dave.

????
What the hell r fancy little porkies ?

David
0 Replies

Ceili

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:43 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
). If I were ever to apply

Funny, I thought that was his point.

It's interesting reading this....
I've never thought about much about a man's dress. Not that I haven't ever given a man a once over based on the ways he's dressed. ;-}
I just find it interesting that men have opinions on how other men dress. I'm not sure where you reside David, but I know plenty of men in laid back Canada who've never worn jeans. A staple here...
As for dressing for court...
My father always told me to speak as if I were in front of a judge. As a woman, I know you are judged on your appearance. You can choose to eschew the rules, but then you make the choice, a trade off, if you will. It doesn't really matter who or what you know, if you don't fit in... you don't go as far.
Having said that... I know many people who are perfectly happy with where they are in life and they've never worn a suit.
To each his own,l guess.

About flip-flops. Up until two months ago, I couldn't wear them. Hated the thing between my toes. I cut the top of my foot while in a very small town. I couldn't wear shoes and the only thing I could find, in a gas station.... was a pair of flip flop. The first day was hell! The second day, you couldn't have pried them out of my hands. Now, I've got a pair of fancy high heeled ones, a bejeweled pair (from my niece) and a really good pair that with arch support. Would I wear them to court? Depends on why I was there. To audit - sure, a witness - maybe if it were summer and they were dressier but as a defendant - never, not on my life.
OmSigDAVID

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 11:04 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
spendius wrote:

Quote:
). If I were ever to apply for a job (not likely),
I 'd even abandon fonetic spelling for that purpose

Ceili wrote:
Quote:
Funny, I thought that was his point.
It WAS.
U were right.

Ceili wrote:
Quote:
It's interesting reading this....
I've never thought about much about a man's dress.
Not that I haven't ever given a man a once over based on the ways he's dressed. ;-}
I just find it interesting that men have opinions on how other men dress.
Only as to extreme cases.

Ceili wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure where you reside David,

NYC

Ceili wrote:
Quote:
but I know plenty of men in laid back Canada who've never worn jeans. A staple here...
From ages 8 to 13,
while growing up in Arizona, I wore them there.

Ceili wrote:
Quote:
As for dressing for court...
My father always told me to speak as if I were in front of a judge.
As a woman, I know you are judged on your appearance.
You can choose to eschew the rules, but then you make the choice,
a trade off, if you will. It doesn't really matter who or what you know,
if you don't fit in... you don't go as far.
Having said that... I know many people who are perfectly happy
with where they are in life and they've never worn a suit.
To each his own,l guess.
Yeah.

Ceili wrote:
Quote:
About flip-flops. Up until two months ago, I couldn't wear them.
Hated the thing between my toes. I cut the top of my foot while
in a very small town. I couldn't wear shoes and the only thing I
could find, in a gas station.... was a pair of flip flop. The first day was hell!
The second day, you couldn't have pried them out of my hands.
What changed ?

Ceili wrote:
Quote:
Now, I've got a pair of fancy high heeled ones, a bejeweled pair (from my niece)
and a really good pair that with arch support. Would I wear them to court?
Depends on why I was there. To audit - sure, a witness - maybe if it
were summer and they were dressier but as a defendant - never, not on my life.
0 Replies

Ceili

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 12:02 pm
I guess the spot between my toes desensitized after a day or two. Maybe a by-product of getting older.
aidan

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 02:59 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
Now, I've got a pair of fancy high heeled ones,

I've got a pair of high heeled ones. They're not fancy though - they're olive green with a wedge heel from Old Navy. My daughter borrows them on occasion and I laugh and laugh when she wears them because she's really tall and thin and usually wears flats, but when she slips on my flip-flops to go outside for a moment or something, she seems to be slightly tottery and it looks so cute.
I think the higher heel helps develop my calf muscles- I can feel them working when I wear them, so I make a point of doing that.

I think the key to comfortable flip flops is the shape and smoothness of the little piece that goes between your big and second toe and also the width and texture of the straps that go across the top of your foot. If they're cheap plastic and too thin - they're won't be comfortable.

The Gap makes really good, sturdy, comfortable flip flops- in great neutral colors. One nine dollar pair lasts me a whole summer - and that's wearing them pretty much every single day.
aidan

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 03:12 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
My gripe is that womens' pants do not have roomy pockets like mens'. As a result, in the summer, I buy mens' cargo shorts almost exclusively.

I hate clothes without pockets too. I'll buy the item, but I find that no matter how much I like it, if it doesn't have pockets I end up avoiding wearing it to work. It just seems like a non-pocketed item of apparel is such an inconvenience (because I couldn't carry my wallet to work (due to the likelihood of theft) I had to carry whatever money I'd need for the day on my person for so long, that now it's a firmly ingrained habit).

And I do buy men's shorts and pants all the time- actually more often than not. Khaki's, jeans, courduroy's- you can get them to fit better because instead of being size 8 with a standard length (for women) with men's you can buy the specific waist and inseam measurement.
Banana Republic or Gap mens 29/32 fit me PERFECTLY- I don't even have to try them on. The womens' sizes are always either too short or too long - I'm too tall for petite but just a little too short for average - I always have to get them hemmed.
Anyway, men's trousers are usually more tailored and I like that look - AND they always have pockets (which many, many womens' trousers don't).
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 03:18 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Why not pointless? I still have yet to hear the explanation for exactly what the point is.

It's an extension of outdated modes of classism; the idea that only serious people engage in business, and serious people must dress seriously all the time, so that other people don't get the impression that you are unserious, heaven forbid.

Useless and perpetuates stereotypes; books by their covers and all that. And by playing along, we help continue that. Ain't America great!

Cycloptichorn
aidan

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 03:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Why not pointless? I still have yet to hear the explanation for exactly what the point is.

I think the point is that when something is so out of the ordinary, such as unshod feet in a courtroom, it serves as a distraction.

Seriously - when I was teaching at the prison- one day I made the mistake of wearing flip flops to work and my feet were the major topic of discussion in the classroom that day. It never occurred to me that that would be so when I decided to wear them, but one of the other female teachers who'd worked there for years explained to me that the men (inmates) were so unused to being around females at all, that being around a female with any exposed skin, even on her FEET, proved to be a distraction.

I guess if everyone who went to court decided to dress down, and it became less notable and more customary - a person deciding to wear flip flops would not even be noteworthy. But that hasn't happened in that setting yet, so a person doing that will be noted - and will prove to be distracting.

Quote:
It's an extension of outdated modes of classism; the idea that only serious people engage in business, and serious people must dress seriously all the time, so that other people don't get the impression that you are unserious, heaven forbid.

It's like any sort of school or work uniform - when it's worn- it lessens the distractions that might detract from the business at hand. When the business at hand is important or even life-changing (which could be the case in a court of law), my feeling is that the less distractions - the better.
ehBeth

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 03:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I personally feel that it has to do with respect. Respect for oneself and others.

I also don't think anyone cares whether you buy into it or not.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 03:33 pm
@aidan,
Quote:

I guess if everyone who went to court decided to dress down, and it became less notable and more customary - a person deciding to wear flip flops would not even be noteworthy. But that hasn't happened in that setting yet, so a person doing that will be noted - and will prove to be distracting.

Not just court but all aspects of life. And yes, it will take brave people who are willing to challenge the status quo, to remove us from this historical farce, that the 'clothes make the man.'

Quote:

It's like any sort of school or work uniform - when it's worn- it lessens the distractions that might detract from the business at hand. When the business at hand is important or even life-changing (which could be the case in a court of law), my feeling is that the less distractions - the better.

Hard for me to believe that people find clothing to be distracting. I mean, who cares what someone is wearing? It's the ultimate in shallow judgment. Surely the quality of their work is infinitely more important.

I really detest school uniforms, and think it's socially harmful to kids to make them dress up like little clones of each other. I certainly never had to deal with that ****.

Cycloptichorn