Pet peeves in women's (or men's) wear

spendius

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 05:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I have a real hard time with the 'formal' nature of business clothing. It's designed to tell other people that you are also a serious person. I find the whole concept to be eminently ridiculous.

There are some people Cyclo who are more incensed that you are about these matters and they turn up to business meetings and election result declarations dressed as a chicken or an emu.

Methinks you are a bit MOR bourgeoise.
spendius

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 05:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I hate dress codes.

You would be banned from many clubs with an attitude like that Cyclo. Masonic clubs, cricket fields, seminaries, the military and definitely from the Torture Garden in London.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 05:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Joe,

Flip-flops aren't beach wear, they are everywhere wear. I wear them constantly.

Does that include your frequent appearances in court?

I've never appeared in court.

Then it's evident that the everywhere that you go doesn't include the everywhere that I go.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
But they are eminently sensible footwear, suitable to be worn anywhere where your feet do not actually require protection from the elements.

The day may come when flip-flops are regarded by the general public as suitable for all occasions, both formal and informal. That day has not yet arrived. Not in these parts, at any rate.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 06:14 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
I have a real hard time with the 'formal' nature of business clothing.
It's designed to tell other people that you are also a serious person.
I find the whole concept to be eminently ridiculous.

There are some people Cyclo who are more incensed that you are
about these matters and they turn up to business meetings and
election result declarations dressed as a chicken or an emu.

Methinks you are a bit MOR bourgeoise.
I like an emu. I petted one in Austrailia in the 1980s,
but I 've never sought to emu late one, nor a chickon.

My clothing is valuable n convenient.
It promotes competent n convenient organization; its efficient.
My suits are all of the same sartorial architecture.
When I visit a tailor, I give him my specifications.
Accordingly, every day, I know exactly where within
my clothing my various articles of property are situate;
e.g., my wallet, daily planner book n record of transactions,
credit cards, keys, coins, n calculator are always in the same place.
There is an interior pocket sewn into all of my vests by their tailor
to contain spare keys and cash.

Its the same as when I was a trial attorney:
I had my files organized to facilitate the retrieval of specific information,
e.g. Bill of Particulars, Summons n Complaint, judicial orders,
factual investigation, summaries of depositions, etc.
Competent organization is the result of competent planning. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

David
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 06:14 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Joe,

Then it's evident that the everywhere that you go doesn't include the everywhere that I go.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
But they are eminently sensible footwear, suitable to be worn anywhere where your feet do not actually require protection from the elements.

The day may come when flip-flops are regarded by the general public as suitable for all occasions, both formal and informal. That day has not yet arrived. Not in these parts, at any rate.

The perpetuation of the status quo. Casual acceptance of pointless customs and rule don't serve society or ourselves in any way.

But, that's just my opinion, and whatever people want to wear on their feet is fine with me.

Cycloptichorn
OmSigDAVID

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 06:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Joe,

Cycloptichorn wrote:

The perpetuation of the status quo.
Casual acceptance of pointless customs and rule
don't serve society or ourselves in any way.

Cycloptichorn
With that in mind,
I endeavor to accelerate the end of non-fonetic spelling.

David
0 Replies

aidan

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 02:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
These are capri pants David
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/4/6584606_5d0589bf67.jpg
Those actually don't look bad - maybe if only guys who were built like that wore them with no shoes and no shirt - it'd be okay.

But this is more of what I usually think of when I think of guys in capri pants:

I think the third guy in stole a pair of spanx and is wearing them under his pants.
aidan

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 02:08 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
I was in court for a hearing today and the opposing counsel, a woman who, I estimated, was in her early 30s, was wearing flip-flops. Very nice flip-flops, I'll hasten to add, but flip-flops nonetheless. I was tempted to ask if those were her dress flip-flops, but I refrained.

I've always had issues with having my feet enclosed. One of my first memories of being scolded was in the church nursery and I was trying to take off my shoes and socks and the lady wouldn't let me. All the way home in the car I can remember my mother saying to me - 'You have to keep your shoes and socks on in church.'

So the moment it gets warm enough for no enclosed shoes and socks - that's what I try to do- although I do follow dress codes when I'm working.
I think if I went to court, even as a witness, I'd feel underdressed in flip flops or sandals with my feet exposed.
Anyway - I'd figure they'd probably have the air conditioning running- so pantyhose and pumps would win the day in the interest of warmth, for my feet.

No, I just take my walks in flip flops. I think the problem is really that one of my feet is just that much bigger than the other that when I buy a pair of enclosed shoes - even expensive sneakers or walking shoes - one foot always gets rubbed raw on the heel.
I don't know what I can do about that - but Maporche's flexible shoes seemed to present a solution.
aidan

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 02:11 am
@spendius,

Quote:
Hence it is the girls who are saying "You will NOT be small breasted.

No it is the men telling the girls, 'You will NOT be small breasted.'

Quote:
It's a snare setting operation in essence.

Exactly. And why set a snare with something you know the prey will not find appealing?

Quote:
Answer me that.
!!!
0 Replies

Francis

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 02:22 am
Aidan wrote:
Those actually don't look bad - maybe if only guys who were built like that wore them with no shoes and no shirt - it'd be okay.

Unfortunately, life has its own ways:
http://influenceurs.net/images/lasemainedubeauf-150x234.gif
aidan

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 02:30 am
@Francis,
There's another fashion no-no- black socks with shorts.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 04:27 am

All of my socks r black.
Thay r black n identical.
OmSigDAVID

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 04:36 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

These are capri pants David
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/4/6584606_5d0589bf67.jpg

But this is more of what I usually think of when I think of guys in capri pants:

I think the third guy in stole a pair of spanx and is wearing them under his pants.

Thank u, Rebecca.
I am not an expert on pants.
I just tell my tailor what I want n it always comes out OK.
If it did not, I 'd reject them.

What qualities about those pants define them as capri pants ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 04:41 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

No, I just take my walks in flip flops. I think the problem is really that one of my feet is just that much bigger than the other that when I buy a pair of enclosed shoes - even expensive sneakers or walking shoes - one foot always gets rubbed raw on the heel.
I don't know what I can do about that - but Maporche's flexible shoes seemed to present a solution.
Have your shoes custom made.
spendius

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 06:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You sound custom made Dave. You're a work of art.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 06:14 am

I am wonderful.
I have my clothing custom made.

David
0 Replies

JPB

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 06:27 am
Sarah Palin winking ass jeans.

http://www.themudflats.net/wp-content/uploads/winkyjeans.jpg
0 Replies

olla86

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 07:28 am
There are a lot of people without complexes! I think it is great!

Ceili

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 11:29 am
David, capri pants are shorter - mid calf and usually looser fitting , frequently come with a draw string waste.

Push up bras... for a long time women have pushed up, pulled in, tuck, corseted themselves. I don't think this is mans doing alone. If I remember correctly, the woman who designed the water bra just did it in her spare time. People like Anna Wintour and Kate Moss, set the trends - we buy into them.
But it is getting harder to find a bra without padding. I'm allergic to some of these bras, believe it or not. Lingerie companies use all kinds of scary chemicals to stiffen the material. Formaldehyde has been found in bras from Victoria Secret to K-Mart, so how do you protect yourself?

0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 26 Aug, 2009 11:30 am
@aidan,
I'd accept those capri pants - of course it would need to contain the same man in them.
0 Replies