Pet peeves in women's (or men's) wear

JPB

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:41 pm
ok all you peevers. I need some help. I'm about as fashion conscious as a toad so I normally don't pay any attention to these things. In general, if an event isn't casual I'd rather not attend but every once in a while something comes along that forces me to attend and casual is not an option. I have one such event this weekend. A formal wedding. I ordered two different dresses online. They came today and I don't like either one of them -- back they go... I went through my closet and found something black and suitable. I have shoes. I bought some spanx to avoid the dreaded (not by me...) panty lines, etc. I also have black hose but I think I read that hose are passe and one should never wear hose. The shoes are closed toed, if that matters. What's the latest on panty hose? Black, nude, or none?
George

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:43 pm
@JPB,
Nude
JPB

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:46 pm
@George,
brat
mismi

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:47 pm
@JPB,
Hey girl...

They seem to be coming back....but not with sandals or open toed shoes...and nude (not the L'eggs nude) truly nude seems to be the best choice for what you are wearing...fashionably speaking. But then - who gives a rip?

I found this:
http://www.focusonstyle.com/pantyhoseslipups.htm
don't see a date though...I agree with what she has to say.
George

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:54 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
brat

Hee!
aidan

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:55 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
hose are passe and one should never wear hose.

Really? I hadn't heard that. I'd be in real trouble if I couldn't wear hose to formal events. I'm fair-skinned with freckles- even on my legs - (lots and lots of time spent playing outside and at the beach as a child) so my legs would look ridiculous bare in close toed black shoes and a black dress- especially in the evenings.
I personally would wear the black pantyhose with a black dress and black shoes - but that's because I'm not tall and the monochrome look is lengthening.
Unless the dress is short sleeved or sleeveless - then I'd wear the nude pantyhose, so my arms and legs would match. I think when your arms are bare but your legs are in black hose - it looks weird.
So if I liked the black pantyhose with the outfit overall - I'd wear some sort of wrap to cover my arms.
I'd only go with bare legs with a sundress and/or open toed sandals.
But if you have the skin tone to do it - that's a different story.

spendius

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:59 pm
@JPB,
It depends on what day of the week the weddding is on. I'm not sure of the proper protocol but I think it's black for Mon, Tues and Wed, Nude for the rest of the week and forget none because it's passe now in the best circles.

That's when there's an "R" in the month apart from Bank Holidays and Saturdays in some religions.

I've been to a number of weddings and it has never struck me before your post that all the women I have met there had spent the previous few days exercising their minds on the important matters you raise and are, when one is having an intellectual conversation at the reception with one of them, as one does, exercising their minds on whether they achieved the effect they had sought so single-mindedly and that I might as well have been talking to a gatepost.
spendius

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:03 pm
@George,
Freckles on the legs eh George? Be a first for me.
George

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:10 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Freckles on the legs eh George?

Nah, just moles, varicose veins, scars, and hair.
0 Replies

aidan

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:13 pm
@spendius,
Yeah - and three on my left thigh form a perfect triangle. I used to sit there in school and trace it with my finger (it's just above my knee) over and over while the teacher talked. When we did geometry, I looked at it to see if it was a right, scalene or isosceles triangle - it's closest to an isosceles.
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:16 pm
@spendius,
Perfect!

And you're exactly right. I did lose two night's sleep over whether the dresses would arrive in time (they did) and whether they would "work" (they didn't). And, who gives a flying flip anyway?

women...

you see, those intellectual conversations with appropriately coiffed femmes can only be a success if the femme is appropriately coiffed. And, yes, I do hate this ****!
JPB

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:19 pm
@aidan,
Not short (FAR from it), sleeveless, slit up to indecent. I think I'm going with nude.

No, George, not that nude.
spendius

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:20 pm
@aidan,
Some of like it wierd you know. Gothic.

But I'm not sure of the terms being used. What's "hose". What's "nude pantyhose"?

Quote:
I'd wear the nude pantyhose, so my arms and legs would match.

And your editor would say-" I think this needs revising Rebecca dear. And this--

Quote:
the monochrome look is lengthening.
"

What about a hat? A hat says a great deal.

JPB

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:21 pm
@mismi,
I don't, generally. This is one of "those" events when this stuff matters. Thanks, mis.... I read, puked, and took on board all that those who will be looking want to see.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:24 pm
@JPB,
Good, that sounded like a lot of black for a wedding. ("Good" refers to both your choice of hose -- though I think nothing would probably be fine too -- and the fact that the black dress is sleeveless.)

Will you be festiving it up somehow? Colorful, sparkly necklace and/or earrings?
George

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:25 pm
Black Tie for the guy?
spendius

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:30 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
And, yes, I do hate this ****!

Well--you damn well shouldn't. It's feminine. It's normal. It's hardwired. Denying it is foolish. Feelings are involved not theories.

The idea might be, and I'm off on one with this, that the lady guests should spend sleepless nights raddled with worry so that they don't look their best and risk outshining the bride whose day it is.
0 Replies

JPB

@sozobe,
yeah, deciding between simple pearls everywhere (ears, neck, wrist) and high-fire opals. It's not about me... I'm leaning towards pearls.
JPB

@George,
yes
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:32 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

... It's not about me... I'm leaning towards pearls.

spendius wrote:
the lady guests should spend sleepless nights raddled with worry so that they don't look their best and risk outshining the bride whose day it is.

indeed
0 Replies