Pet peeves in women's (or men's) wear

Setanta

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:33 pm
@dyslexia,
Well yeah . . . but it's what you're saying that has us all worried . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 01:25 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
My wife was furious that her mother had bought her five identical blue blouses.

Cripes wande!! What does she do when you get home from the pub bladdered and take a leak in the wardrobe in the middle of the night?
wandeljw

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 01:32 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

Cripes wande!! What does she do when you get home from the pub bladdered and take a leak in the wardrobe in the middle of the night?

She asks if I remembered to do it in the corner, away from where she keeps her shoes. Smile
0 Replies

aidan

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 02:48 pm
@Linkat,
Have you ever seen it in the US though? I never, ever saw a guy in capri pants until I came to Europe.
The cutest thing is the dads and little boys who wear the matching capri pants, the footballer jerseys and the same moussed hair-do. It makes me smile - (even though I don't like their capri pants). It's like dad and lad in training or something.
Linkat

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 02:53 pm
@aidan,
Yep - it was quite disturbing. There was a "man" walking near where I work here in the US. Yes, quite disturbing.
0 Replies

aidan

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 02:53 pm
@Linkat,
My daughter and I were eating tonight and there was this BEAUTIFUL young girl - I mean the face of an angel, beautiful hair, extremely well put together outfit EXCEPT that none of her clothes FIT!!!

She had a very womanly figure - full-figured I'd call it - not sloppy or anything, but she had herself jammed into these too-small jeans and then this wide belt (a really nice look) above which her belly and love handles ballooned- (which killed the whole thing) and on top of that you could see the scarlet elastic of her thong cutting into her flesh above the belt.
Does she really think that's sexy?
And I'm just staring and shaking my head and my daughter says, 'Mom - stop staring...' (which she always has to say to me) and I just said - 'She'd be so attractive if only she'd buy clothes that fit her.'
She just looked so uncomfortable. I can't imagine walking out the door in clothes that were cutting into my flesh to the point that they left marks- much less sitting down and eating a meal in them.
aidan

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 02:56 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
Quote:
And skinny jeans on men is never acceptable as far as I'm concerned. Neither are Ugg Boots.

No - I'm in total agreement about the skinny jeans. I accidentally bought my son a pair for Christmas - he just told me his size 34/36 and that's what I bought and when he tried them on -they were these tight fitting things he'd NEVER wear. He was very apologetic when he said, 'You might have to take these back...' I couldn't have been more happy to though.

I've never seen a guy wear Ugg boots - but I can imagine they'd go with an emo hair-do.
0 Replies

aidan

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 02:58 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:

I do a variation on that. I find a style of blouse or skirt or trousers I like and I buy it in my three favorite colors. Makes shopping really, really easy. You only have to try on one item and then pick two more of the same size off the rack.
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:11 pm
@aidan,
You are correct - the fit is so important. You can look much better in an old cheapo outfit than the most expensive if the expensive does not fit well.

0 Replies

chai2

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:13 pm
ok, I've never seen these pants aidan.

are they called something in particular?
can you post a pic so I know what you're talking about?

maybe I have seen them and just can't recall.
aidan

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:26 pm
@chai2,
It's any pair of thin, summer-weight white cotton pants worn without underwear or with a thong underneath.
I have two pairs that would qualify if I wore them without underwear or with a thong.
As it is - I have to remember not to wear colored , striped or print underwear when I wear these pants because you can see my underwear through them if I do - (my daughter tells me) so I always remember to only wear white underwear with these specific pants.
If I wore nothing - you could see that I was wearing nothing. I mean who the hell wants to be faced with an think about these women wearing no underwear while you're trying to eat, or grocery shop or whatever?
And it's not like I go out of my way to see it. All I have to do is happen to walk in back of them.
spendius

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:28 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
I mean who the hell wants to be faced with and think about these women wearing no underwear while you're trying to eat, or grocery shop or whatever?

Me. I have often thought about such things. It arouses me slightly. Not that I grocery shop mind you.
aidan

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:34 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Not that I grocery shop mind you.

Why not?
0 Replies

chai2

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:47 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

It's any pair of thin, summer-weight white cotton pants worn without underwear or with a thong underneath.
I have two pairs that would qualify if I wore them without underwear or with a thong.
As it is - I have to remember not to wear colored , striped or print underwear when I wear these pants because you can see my underwear through them if I do - (my daughter tells me) so I always remember to only wear white underwear with these specific pants.
If I wore nothing - you could see that I was wearing nothing. I mean who the hell wants to be faced with an think about these women wearing no underwear while you're trying to eat, or grocery shop or whatever?
And it's not like I go out of my way to see it. All I have to do is happen to walk in back of them.

Well, the people wearing them obviously must know.

I wear these things call Spanx. They're like pantihose, but only cover your butt, and they go down to either mid thigh, above the knee, or right below.

The purpose is to have a nice line, and not all the bumps, panti lines or non-panti line free show.

They're expensive, but I found a place where I can get them for at least half off.

It's worth it if you don't want to look like a fat bulging pig, or a tramp, or both.

http://www.hottogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/spanx01.jpg

Mollie Shannon showing us how they work...
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2007/12/06/amd_mollyshannon.jpg

http://s.wsj.net/media/Spanx_Sara_Blakely_400x503_20080808142910.jpg

Before and after....need I say more....?
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2007/12/06/asm_spanx_2.jpghttp://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2007/12/06/asm_spanx_1.jpg

If the woman wasn't wearing anything under the white pants in the before picture, the after picture would still be more attractive, and yes, sexier.

Linkat

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:49 pm
@chai2,
Also spanx kinda of holds in any bulges like if you have a little bit of a tummy - kind of gives you a firmer look.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:58 pm
OK, I hate those plastic shoes that were everywhere for a while, the ones that look like mary janes or like slip-ons with holes in them. They can't possibly be good for your feet.

Of course the last time I mentioned a "peeve" I wound up listening to tirades from the Mad Hatter and the Queen of Hearts. Hopefully they won't find me here.
aidan

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 04:09 pm
@chai2,
So are these spanx things like a girdle that extends down around your thighs? Is the material heavy spandex or like support panty hose?
I don't even like to wear support hose - it makes me feel like I'm all held in and constricted- especially in the summer when it's hot- wearing an extra layer- I don't know.
This is what I wear with my white pants and if you buy them in the right size - there are no lines or bulges. It just looks like the outer pants you're wearing are lined.http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31IuJzH%2B5WL._AA280_.jpg

Glitterbag - those crocs are good for river walking and I saw a little kid do a really cute flower arrangement in one - she had all the individual flowers poking out through each hole. People seem to love them, but I don't find them comfortable. I stick with my tried and true flip flops.
spendius

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 04:24 pm
I'm going to bed to play with myself.
spendius

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 04:27 pm
@spendius,
Don't worry girls. I won't go all the way. The last thing I want is to lose interest.
0 Replies

chai2

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 08:00 pm
@aidan,
I suppose you could say they are like support panty hose, but not too restrictive. They come in a lot of sizes so if it feels too constrictive you just go up a size.
However, like linkat sez, they just give you a little bit of holding in.

What is so great about them is that #1, they don't cover your feet. #2 wherever the leg of that particular type ends, it's a very non constrictive, yet non rolling, non creeping band.

I wear regular underwear under them, and if I'm wearing slinky material pants, and bend over, you can't see your panty line at all, unless you pull the material of the pants really tight.

In other words, you can wear a super slinky dress, pants, and you would look like the fantasy people have of a person wearing no underwear.

It doesn't constrict, it just keeps something that jiggles....from doing that.

If you actually weren't wearing underwear, 99% of us ladies, no matter how good your body is, you'd see some sort of lump, bump or bulge.

Aside....I think it's such a crock the way movies and magazines portray some woman wear nothing under her clothes, and looking absolutley sleek.
You go in the dressing room at a fashion show and you'll see all kinds of tricks of the trade being employed to make the model not have certain parts hanging down or swaying in the breeze.

Have you ever gotten a look at what a sexy Hispanic woman is wearing under that va-va-voom dress?
I have.
There's all sorts of cantilevers and strut suspension being employed.

hey linkat....do you have Steinmarts up there?

If you go to a dept store the spanx cost like $18 and up...at Steinmart they are $9