Pet peeves in women's (or men's) wear

aidan

Sun 23 Aug, 2009 10:56 am
I've noticed this new phenomenon - just this summer in fact - and it drives me nuts.

Women are wearing thin and what amounts to essentially see-through white trousers (pants- outerwear covering the bottom of their bodies- whatever you want to call them) with thongs- or maybe nothing underneath- who knows?

Anyway - the upshot of it is that when they walk by- you have to look at their butt cheeks very obviously uncovered and shining through this fairly sheer fabric.

I don't like it. I feel uncomfortable for them. It looks very uncomfortable and it's not attractive.

Do you think they're doing it on purpose? Do you think they think it looks good? Do you think they have any idea?
Is this happening in your neck of the woods?
Or is something else happening in style and apparel that makes you wince and say, 'Why?!'
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 37 • Views: 21,651 • Replies: 189
Topic Closed
No top replies

Chumly

Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:31 am
All public nudity laws must be abolished and public expressions of physical love must no longer be criminalized. Nudity is not a crime and expressions of physical love are not a crime; in the context of consenting adults.

Puritanism should be criminalized.
aidan

Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:34 am
@Chumly,
You know - I agree. I'd rather see these women's nude butts than see them all crammed into these little tight pants that can't seem to contain them.
Quote:
Puritanism is a disease.

I couldn't agree more. You're talking to the bane of constriction (and prescriptivism, by the way).
Chumly

Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:38 am
@aidan,
Cast your eyes askew and let the self-expression of consenting adults take its rightful place in society.
aidan

Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:39 am
@Chumly,
I try - but it's too fascinating. I just wonder things like,' how does that chafing fabric feel against that soft skin?'...you know stuff like that.
I can't help it. I'm one of life's observers and curious wonderers.
Ceili

Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:20 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I'm one of life's observers and curious wonderers.

Love it! Me too.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:03 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Do you think they're doing it on purpose?

It is absolutely on purpose, I feel certain of that. I think the "double take" that it elicits is the explicit goal.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:14 pm
It's disgusting Becksie is all I can say. Women's bottoms are bad enough in the dark.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:31 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Women are wearing thin and what amounts to essentially see-through white trousers (pants- outerwear covering the bottom of their bodies- whatever you want to call them) with thongs- or maybe nothing underneath- who knows?

I have noticed, and I like it, though I see all colors not just white. You are not supposed to wear any underwear, and the look is much better if you don't. It is a delightful tease.
Setanta

Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:34 pm
What really irks me are the bra straps . . .

. . . they cut into my shoulders something awful, and if i wear a strapless, it always wants to slip down. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 23 Aug, 2009 05:42 pm
I should add that this fashion statement is inspired by body paint, which is hot right now. I think it is an Australian airline that has the flight safety briefing given by employees wearing nothing but body paint, which is a hit. Body paint is all over the culture right now, in print as well as at parties. Being a body painter is now considered to be an occupation, and a good paying one at that. These pants make a gal's ass look like she is in body paint, which is the point. Panty lines ruin the effect.
0 Replies

aidan

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:20 am
@hawkeye10,
I'd been noticing it all summer - in the grocery store- on the street. And then yesterday this woman was walking along pulling her little eight or nine year old son along by the hand and I was walking behind both of them.
He had his eyes cast down to the sidewalk, looking dejected, and I thought,' he must have just had a talking-to' or ' maybe he's just upset that he has to be out shopping with his mom on such a beautiful day', and then I look at the mom's back- and see that you can see her whole butt right through her trousers.
And it wasn't some cute little pert butt. It was a big butt- XXL size at least.

And this poor boy has to be subjected to that - not only having to look at it himself- how could he avoid it, being pulled along behind her and seeing it shift up and down as she walked (which I have to say I watched for a moment or two with utter fascination- I've never had my attention drawn to a woman's butt to notice that it did that before- that's when I started wondering about the chafing issue), but walking down the street with his mother bustling along pulling him by the hand and exposing her bottom for everyone to see. If I'd been him, I'd have behaved and acted happy just so she'd let go of my hand so I could walk a few paces ahead or behind and pretend I was on my own.

It's not that she was heavy. My mom has been heavy my whole life. I have a lot of fondness for heavy, cuddly, soft mothers who by virtue of their size also have big bums. But my mother never exposed me to seeing her bum or watching it move. Why does this woman think this is appropriate to show her son? If she wants to do it to look sexy for a night out or whatever - go for it. But now the poor boy is probably gonna have nightmares about women and their bums and only go for it in the dark, as spendius suggested.
I just don't get it.
You can get very comfortable seamless underwear that show no pantylines. I wondered if I should tell her about those. And then I thought - maybe she thinks this looks good or something - and I minded my own business.

I also don't understand why men wear capri pants (trousers).
Walter Hinteler

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:28 am
@aidan,
Actually, when I see that (and those "batik dresses/skirts/clothes, which are they are wearing here, too) - I feel like having been send back 40 years.
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 10:41 am
@aidan,
Ohhh - I wrote a thread about men and capri pants quite a while ago. Yes, I agree men wearing capris is "gay".
Linkat

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 10:42 am
A big pet peeve for clothes - muffin tops. In other words, women/girls who wear shirt that expose their bellies (even just a glimpse) and they have a muffin top. Only girls/women that have nice firm bellies look good in these shirts.
FreeDuck

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:03 am
Mine is men who wear their pants so low that their entire ass is out of the pants. They even have to belt the pants (or shorts) on tight under their ass to keep them from coming all the way off. You're left with looking at an ass in either boxers or briefs, with the poor dejected pants subjugated under it looking dejected. It can't be comfortable to walk around with the constant sensation that your pants are about to fall off.
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:12 am
I'm starting to rebel against all fashion in general.

I'm less than 6 months away from replacing all of my work clothes with the same 'uniform'...meaning I'll have 5 pairs of gray pants & 5 blue shirts.

I'm about to forego shoes in most situations.

I hate the fashion industry; and will rebel against it.
Dorothy Parker

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:26 am
@aidan,
Oh they definately know what they are doing, aidan. Have you noticed that it's usually people with horrible arses that wear stuff like that?

It bugs me when lads wear jeans or pants that are falling off their arses with all their underwear on display.

And skinny jeans on men is never acceptable as far as I'm concerned. Neither are Ugg Boots.

wandeljw

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:42 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I'm starting to rebel against all fashion in general.

I'm less than 6 months away from replacing all of my work clothes with the same 'uniform'...meaning I'll have 5 pairs of gray pants & 5 blue shirts.

It is funny you should say that, maporsche. My wife is Chinese but has been living in the United States since 1988. A few years ago, her mother traveled from China to visit us. My wife was furious that her mother had bought her five identical blue blouses. This would only reinforce a stereotype that people in mainland China wear uniform clothing.
dyslexia

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:53 am
@wandeljw,
personally, I'm a living fashion statement.