Pet peeves in women's (or men's) wear

aidan

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:34 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I've been to a number of weddings and it has never struck me before your post that all the women I have met there had spent the previous few days exercising their minds on the important matters you raise and are, when one is having an intellectual conversation at the reception with one of them, as one does, exercising their minds on whether they achieved the effect they had sought so single-mindedly and that I might as well have been talking to a gatepost.

A few DAYS thinking about it? That's only if they're young. After they've dressed for a few weddings - I think most women have it down so pat they don't even have to think about it.
Again - it's like a uniform. Most women know what sort of length, sleeve, neckline, color, etc. suits them and that's what they wear.
Guys do the same thing- or do you think they purposefully don't think about it and choose clothes that will be the most unflattering they can find?
A good, classic black dress can be worn for YEARS. It's a wonderful stand-by for any occasion.
aidan

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:38 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Some of like it wierd you know. Gothic.

But I'm not sure of the terms being used. What's "hose". What's "nude pantyhose"?

Quote:

I'd wear the nude pantyhose, so my arms and legs would match.

And your editor would say-" I think this needs revising Rebecca dear. And this-

What does this mean?

Quote:
What about a hat? A hat says a great deal.

Yes, I know here in the UK, hats at weddings are the big thing. I haven't been to a wedding in a while as all my friends were married long ago and none of our children are to the age to be married yet - so I can't say for sure, but I know that I've never worn a hat to a wedding - so I don't think it's as commonplace in the US as it is here.
I haven't worn a hat since I wore an easter bonnet to church as a child.

Do you wear hats?

0 Replies

JPB

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:40 pm
@aidan,
um... I don't think young applies here and, yes, this does present trauma. Hence, the post for suggestions.
George

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:44 pm
We will, of course, require pictures.
aidan

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:46 pm
@JPB,
sorry - I was just trying to explain to Spendius that a woman could care about looking nice without it meaning that that's all she ever cares or thinks about as if there's absolutely nothing else in her brain.

I also don't think it's pitiful or stupid to want to look nice.

Rockhead

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:47 pm
@George,
bets on that?

I suggest carrying a large umbrella rather than the hat.
0 Replies

mismi

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 02:57 pm
@JPB,
Hey black suit, sheer black hose - classic. No worries.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 03:25 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
sorry - I was just trying to explain to Spendius that a woman could care about looking nice without it meaning that that's all she ever cares or thinks about as if there's absolutely nothing else in her brain.

It is a special occasion. And you do seem to have given the matter a great deal of thought. Anybody who hadn't done is hardly qualified to advise JP.

I didn't say women have "absolutely nothing else" in their mind. I know they think about food a lot. And decor in the facilities.

I once knew two women who copy-typed at an amazing speed from the shorthand dictation they had taken down earlier whilst carring on a conversation about various things.

Quote:
I also don't think it's pitiful or stupid to want to look nice.

The virago feminists do. They consider it a form of pleading and whining.
aidan

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 03:55 pm
@spendius,
Yeah well, I didn't say I never gave it any thought. I grew up with three sisters and a mother. My mom was/is awesome at coordinating outfits. She made all our clothes for a long time. So I got taken into fabric stores, looking at and picking out fabric and patterns - which I have to admit I liked doing. I like color and texture and lines...and when something fits right and feels right - it's fun to wear.
But I'm a very visual person. I look at something and immediately - I think either, 'Yeah, that's good - or no - that's all wrong.'
There's almost no thought involved.

And you can never go wrong with a good, classic, black dress. You can't.
It's just the accoutrements you have to figure out. For me, they'd be different than for someone else. I can only say what someone who looks like me might do - if someone has long, tan legs and they don't have to wear pantyhose - lucky them!
My daughter's like that - I can only look on in envy.

Quote:

The virago feminists do. They consider it a form of pleading and whining.
if you have to wear clothes, you may as well wear clothes you feel good in.
What do you think they're expressing with the way they dress?
How do they dress, anyway? What would a virago feminist wear to a formal wedding?
KiwiChic

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:15 pm
Changing the subject, but the worse fad Im seeing here at the moment is young girls wearing elastic waisted winter pyjama pants!!! In the supermarket, up the streets in public, one word for it TACKY!
spendius

Thu 10 Sep, 2009 05:03 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
There's almost no thought involved.

That's what I meant about feeling rather than theory. It's instinctive.

Quote:
What would a virago feminist wear to a formal wedding?

Like an atheist talks. Pointedly awkward.
0 Replies

aidan

Fri 11 Sep, 2009 12:25 am
@KiwiChic,
What do you think about skinny jeans?
spendius

Fri 11 Sep, 2009 04:29 am
@aidan,
Being worn or inside out on the landing?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Tue 15 Sep, 2009 12:03 am
@aidan,
Nothing wrong with skinny jeans as long as one has the figure for them...you cant be overweight and look like a Zeppelin in a condom.
aidan

Tue 15 Sep, 2009 12:23 am
@KiwiChic,
Quote:
.you cant be overweight and look like a Zeppelin in a condom.

Laughing Laughing
The reason I'm asking is that that's all my daughter wears now- literally - all her jeans are skinny. And if anyone has the figure for them, she does. She's tall and thin and lanky. But they make her legs look like pencils. She likes them though, so I don't say anything.
I thought of this because of what you said about the pajama pants in public and I have to say that I'm a little envious of the girls who can get out of bed, pull on a sweatshirt and walk from their dorm to their class and listen and take notes in comfort- even in winter - they just pull on some boots and a parka over all of it-
(in America at least) - kind of like how I do the school run - but I don't get out of the car- and I'd be mortified if it (the car) ever broke down and I had to.
I'd ten times rather sit in class in loose, comfortable pajama pants and a sweatshirt than those tight constricting skinny jeans.
KiwiChic

Tue 15 Sep, 2009 12:51 am
@aidan,
My horror would be getting caught wearing Ugg Boots in public, love them to death, only around the house though.....they are classed as slippers here for the winter but I see in magazines they are a fashion fad to wear under mini skirts ie Pamela Anderson, which I find strange as her feet must be 'stinking' hot in the summer....considering its a boot made of wool?
aidan

Tue 15 Sep, 2009 01:13 pm
@KiwiChic,
I've never worn them, but they do look comfortable. The thing you have to remember about the US though- I don't know if it's the same in New Zealand or not- is that in the summer, almost any building you go into - grocery store, restaurant, etc. is so freaking cold because of the air conditioning that it can be 95 degrees outside, but you'll need to carry a sweater because if you go inside a building and sit down for any amount of time - you end up freezing to death. That might be why she can wear the Ugg boots even in the summer- her being who she is, she probably goes from air conditioned limo to air conditioned restaurant to air conditioned house, etc., etc.
spendius

Tue 15 Sep, 2009 02:01 pm
@aidan,
And then they say the US is addicted to oil. Fancy having to carry a heavy sweater, and it needs to be heavy if being frozen to death is being risked, through 95 degrees to keep warm in premises from which the heat being sucked is pumped out down the line.

Could you not get a bed of nails and lie quietly in your rooms?

Hey--one could argue, for fun I mean, that evolution has prepared us to adjust to rapid changes in temperature by giving us the ability to knit heavy sweaters.

Whether I could sit across a restaurant from you saying that without laughing at how dolgarned pretty it is I don't know.
mac11

Tue 15 Sep, 2009 02:28 pm
@JPB,
J_B, how was the wedding? Did you go with the pearls or the opals?

(Any pictures available?)
aidan

Tue 15 Sep, 2009 03:58 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
And then they say the US is addicted to oil. Fancy having to carry a heavy sweater, and it needs to be heavy if being frozen to death is being risked, through 95 degrees to keep warm in premises from which the heat being sucked is pumped out down the line

Yeah - ridiculous- innit?

Quote:
Could you not get a bed of nails and lie quietly in your rooms?

Not to eat or buy food...I know you don't have to grocery shop (you told me earlier in this thread) but I do- here AND in the US. It's so COLD in those grocery stores.

But I've learned to always dress in layers. In the US - a sleeveless top and a sweater that I can take off and tie around my waist when I go outside and here - regular clothes - and a mac - in case it rains.

Quote:
Hey--one could argue, for fun I mean, that evolution has prepared us to adjust to rapid changes in temperature by giving us the ability to knit heavy sweaters.

People are so smart when you think about it. I mean who first took a piece of string and two sticks and figured out how to knit and perl? That sort of thing never ceases to amaze me.

Quote:
Whether I could sit across a restaurant from you saying that without laughing at how dolgarned pretty it is I don't know.

How dolgarned pretty what is? My sweater? I do have a lot of pretty sweaters. I had to wear one every single day when I was teaching - because as I said - every building you go into down south is air conditioned to a ridiculous degree.
I did have central air in one house we owned in North Carolina - but I never turned it on. I can't stand it. I prefer open windows, ceiling fans and a dip in the pool when it gets really unbearably hot.