Fashion Sizing Questions for Women - NON-POLITICAL!

Mame

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 10:41 am
When I weighed 105 lbs (30 yrs ago), I wore a size 5. I don't even remember if there was a smaller size. Now I'm 130 and I wear a size 6. What gives?

Why are they resizing clothing? I would be in a 30 yr ago size 10 today. Now they have zero and double zero sizes.

And why don't they standardize sizing among the industry?? It's annoying to have to try on two sizes of each item because you never know which one will fit.

Not to mention, have you noticed, short women, that petite sizes are different from regular. At Reitmans, for example, I wear a smaller size in the regular than the petite. What's up with that?

Okay, these questions are weighing heavily on my mind and I wanted to contribute to some non-political topics. I'd really like your take on what's going on in the fashion industry.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 14,918 • Replies: 61
Topic Closed
No top replies

cjhsa

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 10:44 am
@Mame,
Pierre Cardin is just plain weird.
0 Replies

mismi

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 10:45 am
@Mame,
Women will buy anything that makes them feel smaller. Pure and simple sales ingenuity.
0 Replies

mac11

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:31 am
@Mame,
Apparently, men's clothing is fairly standardized. So vanity sizing for women seems to be the answer.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:35 am
I believe the fasion industry is downsizing the sizes. In the movie "The Devil Wore Prada", remember Nigel's line that the old 4 has become the new 2, and the old 2 has become the new zero.

Imagine a world in which size zero is a desirable goal!

No wonder at least some are looking to deal with the fashion industries obsession with emaciated, anorexic women as desirable and even looking to establish minimum weight to discourage such an unhealthy climate.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:41 am
@Mame,
http://able2know.org/topic/60632-3#post-1599208
Mame

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:46 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks, saw that one.
wandeljw

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:50 am
@Mame,
If you are going to distract us from politics, Mame, can you find some way to work shewolf's sizing issues into this. Thanks.
George

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 01:36 pm
Why do men's sizes make more sense? Two words: tape measure.
High Seas

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 02:26 pm
@George,
George - nothing to do with men vs women; in Europe the sizes are unchanged, so I know I'm still a French size 36 (German 34, Italian 38) which is what I was in high school. These sizes used to be indistinguishable from an American 6 (French size minus the 30, don't ask me why) until about a decade ago, when I discovered I'm - suddenly! - an American size zero.

Fortunately I've not turned into the invisible man, since the French still manage to get my size at the correct 36, and I simply agree with the other folks here who said the re-sizing is a pure marketing ploy.

Does it work, though? How can women shorter than me (I'm 5 ft 10) weighing a lot less than my 110 lbs, find clothes sized under "zero"? Are there any negative sizes? This whole thing is a transparent scam and I hope somebody fixes it soon.
Linkat

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 02:40 pm
@Mame,
I ask the same question. I used to take a size 5 in college (maybe a 3 depending on the outfit). I am larger now (not significantly, but a do weigh a bit more) - size 5 falls off me. I now take either a 3 or smaller size. I wonder what do women that are smaller than me wear? There are women smaller than me.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 02:42 pm
@High Seas,
I bet you don't look emaciated or anorexic and many fashion models do, so I would guess that yes, there are American sizes smaller than size zero.
Linkat

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 02:42 pm
@Mame,
And recently I tried on a size 0 and it fit. My husband was worried I was losing too much weight or something - but I think it was the clothes sizes as everything else fits normally.
0 Replies

eoe

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 02:44 pm
I always found it strange that in regular wear I'm one size but in high end designer clothing I'm a size smaller. It's got to be just a little extra perk for shelling out the bigger bucks because honestly"and we're talking American designers, not international" it really doesn't make any sense. A 10 is a 10 is a 10.

In The Devil Wears Prada, I think Nigel was referring to the ultra-skinny mentality of today's woman when he said that yesterday's 6 is now considered a 14. That was really pushing it but back in my size 8 days, I don't even recall a sz. 0 on the racks. Your typical models were mostly sz. 8 and all of the samples were sz. 8. I don't know where or when these 4's and 2's, not to mention 0's, came to be the norm. It's ridiculous. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 02:53 pm
@Mame,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_standard_clothing_size

Quote:
US standard clothing sizes were developed from statistical data in the 1940s-1950s. They are similar in concept to the EN 13402 European clothing size standard.

However, as a result of various cultural pressures, most notably vanity sizing, North American clothing sizes have drifted substantially away from this standard over time, and now have very little connection to it. Instead, they now follow the more loosely defined standards known as US catalog sizes. These are on average 6 sizes larger than the original standard. So, for example, a size 12 on the old standard would today be described as a size 6, while a size 6 on the old scale would be what is today known as size zero.

I can remember reading, years ago, that women's waists were becoming statistically larger over time. (You're telling me!) Clothing manufacturers were adjusting their standard sizes to reflect these changes, but because of vanity, the sizes themselves got smaller and smaller.

When I was a teenager, a size 12 was considered pretty svelte!
Foxfyre

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 02:56 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Yup. 10s, 12s, and even 14s were considered pretty average through the 40's, 50's, and 60's.
0 Replies

eoe

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 04:25 pm
Imagine. Marilyn Monroe wore a sz. 12! By today's standards, she would be considered a plus-size. Even Audrey Hepburn was a sz. 6 and she was very thin, even in photographs. So yes, they've been monkeying around with the sizes alright. No doubt about it.
Phoenix32890

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 04:48 pm
@eoe,
The standard of female beauty was quite different in the 1950's than it is now. Think of who the femmes fatales were, Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield (Mariska Hargitay's mom, for those who don't know) Monique Van Vooren, Mamie Van Doren. They had a couple of things in common. They were all platinum blondes, and had buxom figures, whch were showed to their best advantage in films. It was only in the 1960's when the overly slender type most typified by Audrey Hepburn and Twiggy became the standard that teenagers attempted to emulate.

Foxfyre

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 05:43 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Okay, but you can't just name the great blond beauties though. There was also Vivian Leigh, Sophia Loren, Elizabeth Taylor, Annette Funicello, and (in between) Rita Hayworth, Ann Margret et al, all well endowed full bodied women who were admired, emulated, and lusted after by many.

I agree that probably Twiggy et al introduced the era of excess thinness as the goal.

I was born heavier than those ladies.
jespah

Fri 10 Oct, 2008 05:44 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Oh yeah, sizes are different. In plus land (where I still live), the room between sizes is a lot larger, e. g. I had to lose about 40 lbs. before I went down one size. And now after losing another 50 or so I'm down three more. Wacky.

Large is sometimes 12 - 14, sometimes 16 - 18, sometimes 18 - 20. I have size 22 pants that are huge on me and size 24 pants that are somewhat snug. Huh?