Pet peeves in women's (or men's) wear

aidan

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 02:25 pm
@maporsche,
The reason I'm so interested is because I walk literally miles a day and I can only walk in flip flops because my feet are really narrow and hard to fit - so any other type of shoes give me blisters on my heels.
But with flip flops I get blisters on the balls of my feet.
So I'd love to find some shoes I could walk in that would mold to my feet and not give me blisters and callouses, but provide some protection and support.
maporsche

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 02:31 pm
@aidan,
I only had problems with these shoes when I tried to run in the rain. The friction between the wet feet and the material of the shoe gave me a couple of blisters.

Other than that, I've never had any problems with them (but it's only been 3 weeks). I don't have a problem with many pairs of shoes though, so I might not be a good gauge.

It's important to know that these shoes do not provide any support though. They pretty much mirror the shape of your foot, and if your foot bends/arches/etc the shoe does the same. There is zero support with these guys.

The rubber on the bottom is thin enough that you will feel even the smallest pebble, and change in terrain, but you can step on glass and not get cut. It's probably 1/8th to less than 1/4in thick.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:30 pm
@aidan,
I was in court for a hearing today and the opposing counsel, a woman who, I estimated, was in her early 30s, was wearing flip-flops. Very nice flip-flops, I'll hasten to add, but flip-flops nonetheless. I was tempted to ask if those were her dress flip-flops, but I refrained.
Cycloptichorn

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:36 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

I was in court for a hearing today and the opposing counsel, a woman who, I estimated, was in her early 30s, was wearing flip-flops. Very nice flip-flops, I'll hasten to add, but flip-flops nonetheless. I was tempted to ask if those were her dress flip-flops, but I refrained.

Was it inappropriate?

I have a real hard time with the 'formal' nature of business clothing. It's designed to tell other people that you are also a serious person. I find the whole concept to be eminently ridiculous.

Cycloptichorn
Linkat

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I do not believe it is appropriate in most business environments. For our business casual description it says straight out no flip flops - I still frequently see women wearing flip flops - the nicer ones, but they are still flip flops. And by the way, I love those nice flip flops, but for nice summer wear outside the office.
joefromchicago

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Was it inappropriate?

I suppose that depends on what you consider to be inappropriate. I certainly would never wear flip-flops to court, but then I've been told on several occasions never to appear in public in any kind of beachwear.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:54 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I do not believe it is appropriate in most business environments. For our business casual description it says straight out no flip flops - I still frequently see women wearing flip flops - the nicer ones, but they are still flip flops. And by the way, I love those nice flip flops, but for nice summer wear outside the office.

Why is it inappropriate? Does it somehow keep you from doing your job correctly?

This is the part I really don't understand...

Joe,

Flip-flops aren't beach wear, they are everywhere wear. I wear them constantly.

Cycloptichorn
OmSigDAVID

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:56 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

My wife is Chinese but has been living in the United States since 1988.
Co-incidence: in that year my friend, Donald, married
a visiting medical doctor from China.

David
0 Replies

chai2

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:57 pm
I've always considered flip flops an accident waiting to happen.

aidan....clarks makes some really great casual shoes that allows your feet to move around and balance. What your feet were made to do.

Gotta go now, but I'll post some pictures later.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:57 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

personally, I'm a living fashion statement.
What r u stating ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:05 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Have you ever seen it in the US though? I never, ever saw a guy in capri pants until I came to Europe.
The cutest thing is the dads and little boys who wear the matching capri pants, the footballer jerseys
and the same moussed hair-do. It makes me smile - (even though I don't like their capri pants).
It's like dad and lad in training or something.
I don 't even know what capri pants are.
I remember a song about the Isle of Capri.

I usually wear vested suits.

David
Linkat

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Simply it doesn't give the impression of professionism. Although some business are different (why I say most businesses), it may not affect your work, but you give off a certain impression depending on how you are dressed.
Sglass

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I just hate running into a man wearing the same dress I am and he has a better figure than me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:11 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
like I said before, I'm a living fashion statement and I've never owned a vested suit.
Cycloptichorn

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:12 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Simply it doesn't give the impression of professionism. Although some business are different (why I say most businesses), it may not affect your work, but you give off a certain impression depending on how you are dressed.

Yeah, that's the part I don't understand. Like I said earlier, certain clothes seem designed to tell other people that you are also a serious person. However, it has been my long experience that clothes do not in fact make a man, and really this represents a very shallow form of judgment. I hate dress codes.

Cycloptichorn
joefromchicago

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Joe,

Does that include your frequent appearances in court?
Linkat

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Well that's why everyone takes dyslexia more serious than you - he is a fashion statement!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:16 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Joe,

Does that include your frequent appearances in court?

I've never appeared in court. But they are eminently sensible footwear, suitable to be worn anywhere where your feet do not actually require protection from the elements.

Cycloptichorn
OmSigDAVID

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:33 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

like I said before, I'm a living fashion statement and I've never owned a vested suit.
What does your fashion statement say ?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:58 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
It's like the manufacturers are saying, 'You will NOT be small breasted.'

When I wor a lad the girls used cotton wool wadding and stuff. So the manufacturers are only doing what they usually do and making things easier, more convenient and simpler like they do with washing machines and microwave meals. The manufacturers would not do anything unless the demand was there.

Hence it is the girls who are saying "You will NOT be small breasted."

Hence Becksie you are engaged in the usual female disingenuousness and blaming our hard pressed manufacturers for something that is your own doing. Why would a manufacturer make something ladies don't want? That is a quick route to bankruptcy.

It's a snare setting operation in essence.

Answer me that.