Was Cleopatra Black?

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 07:19 am
I know she wasn't. But I wonder if anyone in the a2k sphere still believes this guff.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 28 • Views: 33,772 • Replies: 142
Topic Closed

eoe

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 08:19 am
let's see...Egypt is in which continent again?
iamsam82

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 08:24 am
@eoe,
Err... Africa.

And, let's see, how big is it again?
Big enough to contain a wide variety of racial types?
Hmmm... What do Berbers, Tunisians, Morrocans and, oh yeh!, Egyptians look like again?
iamsam82

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 08:35 am
@iamsam82,
And in any case, her family came from Greece. And they interbred almost exclusively to keep themselves pure Macedonian. There's an outside chance her grandmother on her father's side was a local, but since the locals were North African Mediterranean peoples too (light or tanned skin, dark hair and eyes), that would have made no difference to Cleo's being a woman with mediterranean characteristics.
0 Replies

eoe

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 09:22 am
keep hope alive!
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 09:36 am
@iamsam82,
And why does this matter? Whether she was black or not?
mismi

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 09:38 am
@Linkat,
It doesn't - I think Iamsam is actually one of my 9 year old kids that likes to do things to see how people react. It's entertaining for him. Wink
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 09:41 am
@Linkat,
I find it interesting to get a better picture of what ancients looked like. It doesn't "matter" if a mummy had red hair or black hair but is still interesting to some people.
Linkat

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 09:47 am
@Robert Gentel,
Yeah I can see that. I can also see regarding the perspective that Cleopatra was considered very beautiful - you could determine a bit what features were considered beautiful at that time.
Robert Gentel

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 09:55 am
@Linkat,
That's another curiosity I had: whether she was beautiful at all (or even considered beautiful).

Even if it's trivial, it's interesting to get small bits of reality out of the myths.
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 10:34 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
And why does this matter? Whether she was black or not?

Well, apparently the story is a staple of Black folklore. For example, the first hit in a Google search for "cleopatra black" is this extensive article Ebony devoted to the question. Here is how they describe how the question matters:

In 2002, Ebony wrote:
Ask practically any African-American, however, and the answer is a resounding "of course she was Black." Their reasoning: Who else but a Sister would have the resilience and fortitude to wrap Julius Caesar and Marc Antony around her finger in an effort to safeguard Egypt and her children?

Source

The Ebony article concludes that there's a chance Cleopatra may have had some black ancestors. Here's the core of their argument:

Ebony wrote:
Here's where the scholars seem to agree: Cleopatra was the last in a line of Ptolemies--Macedonian Greeks--who ruled Egypt from the death of Alexander the Great in 305 B.C. until Antony's defeat in the battle of Actium in 31 B.C. The Ptolemies, as was the custom, were an incestuous, intermarrying breed (they were concerned about preserving the royal bloodline). But they took their pleasure with the courtiers and concubines who filled their palaces. Many of the children born of these assignations were bestowed a place in the royal lineage despite their dubious--and unspoken--parentage.

Ebony then proceeds interpret the scarce historical facts in the friendliest way to the "Black Cleopatra" story that they can. But because they're an honest publication, the interpretation is peppered with qualifiers like "may", "quite possible", "it is impossible to answer", and the like.

Given the apparent interest in the "black Cleopatra" story in the Black community, I think it's perfectly alright to point out that it's little more than a myth: There might be some truth to it, but we have no evidence that it actually is.
0 Replies

Francis

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 10:59 am
What credit can you give a site that writes:
Quote:
who ruled Egypt from the death of Alexander the Great in 305 B.C.
contrex

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 11:28 am
@Francis,
Careless editing. Ptolemy was appointed satrap of Egypt after Alexander's death in 323 BC. In 305 BC, he declared himself King Ptolemy I.
0 Replies

iamsam82

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 04:06 pm
@Linkat,
Yeh, because it's interesting. Why does it matter if creationism or evolution is right? It doesn't. Neither is going to change my life, or any of our lives in the here and now is it? There are still thousands of posts dedicated to it. If you don't find the question interesting, look for another topic.

I personally find ancient history facinating, and love to pad out the history (and the myths) with as much characterisation of the individuals concerned as possible. When I imagine Mark Anthony and Cleopatra getting jiggy, I want to know that what I imagine is accurate and not Hollywood (or Ebony). I remember reading Plutarch's Lives and loving the stories of little events, little quotidian and painfully human events, that happened in the lives of these historical giants.

There was one that was particularly nice about a fishing trip on the Nile that MA and Cleo went on. He was trying to woo her and showed off by getting a servant to jump into the water from the opposite bank, dive down, and hook ready caught fish onto his line. He did this four or five times, acting the big white hunter and all that. Cleo twigged it and got one of her servants to dive down and attach a gutted and descaled fish to the end of his line. Boy was he red faced when that came up. But I like little stories like that. It makes them seem so human, and, in this case, so modern (and Italian!) in their ways. It adds colour to black and white history pages.

And that's what this question's about, a popular myth I'd like to debunk. But I like debate too. Please feel welcome to defend the notion she was black. Convince me and I'll accept, just as I have on other "controversial" posts I started. I'm here to learn, and, if I may be allowed to be a little presumptive, teach if I can. This post is not about bear-baiting. It's a genuine question. And I am entitled to my opinion on the matter, an opinion I don't feel makes me comparable to a nine year old. Such comparisons are, in fact, immature themselves. Either contribute to the question at hand, or get your heads out of your arses and **** off.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 04:25 pm
I was told in college that the image on this coin is Cleopatra. Anyone know different? She's hardly a centerfold:

http://www.hunterian.gla.ac.uk/collections/star_items/exhibImages/CoinScaled.jpg

I think I've always known she was Greek. I remember a Bill Cosby sitcom spinoff that stated she was black (this was back in the 80's) and I wanted to write to the producers and correct them, but never got around to it. I briefly lived near Harlem in NYC and would often see a black Cleopatra portrayed on T-shirts or household items like mugs and cheap sculpture. Cleopatra Jones was certainly black and a lot better looking than her namesake:

http://www.tallwomen.org/graphics/cleopatra_jones.jpg
iamsam82

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 04:29 pm
@Green Witch,
Oh yeh! I've seen that coin before. But I can't remember what it is that makes them think that might be her. Any ideas?

My. She certainly is a munter though isn't she.
contrex

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 01:02 am
@iamsam82,
iamsam82 wrote:
She certainly is a munter

That coin must be someone else. I've seen the photos. She was well fit, if a little pneumatic for today's tastes. I'd take a boat ride on the Nile with her.

http://noctalis.com/nocturne/pics/cleopatra_elizabeth_taylor.jpg

You can see she's got sort of dread locks so maybe there's something in those stories. Or perhaps she was a wigga.

Sglass

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 01:11 am
omg I wonder what Elizabeth Taylor's bust measurement was when she appeared
in Cleopatra?
contrex

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 01:13 am
@Sglass,
Quote:
I wonder what Elizabeth Taylor's bust measurement was when she appeared in Cleopatra?

36-C apparently.
0 Replies

iamsam82

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 04:48 am
@contrex,
http://www.sexoteric.com/pic/nl/artpic/18/182/monica-bellucci_cleopatra-03.jpg

http://www.clarence.com/contents/cultura-spettacolo/cinehall/anteprime2002/images/belluccigall09.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7137/monicaasterix3.jpg
[img][/img]

More recent discoveries of what we think she looked like are even more promising. I can see why Julius and Mark Anthony had a tent in their togas over her now.