Was Cleopatra Black?

eoe

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 06:58 am
@iamsam82,
iamsam82 wrote:

More recent discoveries of what we think she looked like are even more promising. I can see why Julius and Mark Anthony had a tent in their togas over her now.

What "we" think? We who?
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9458/cleopatra.tif
I suppose this is too outrageous an image to ponder?
Green Witch

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:00 am
@eoe,
Eoe, Lovely image, but Cleo was Greek- not African. Really.

Here's a link to her genealogy:

http://genealogy.about.com/library/family_trees/bl_cleopatra.htm
0 Replies

iamsam82

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:04 am
@eoe,
Eoe, those pictures were jokes. And yep, your picture could be what an African queen looked like a few thousand years ago. So long as she's not supposed to be an Egyptian queen, but a central, equatorial African queen.

1. Egyptians aren't (and were never) black.
2. Cleo (as Witchy says) was Greek anyway.

So zero, ZERO, chance of a black Cleopatra.

Really.

(Am I repeating myself?)
0 Replies

Francis

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:14 am
iamsam wrote:
And yep, your picture could be what an African queen looked like a few thousand years ago. So long as she's not supposed to be an Egyptian queen, but a central, equatorial African queen.

Yep?

She is obviously a Nubian, in no way a central equatorial African...

This is what a central, equatorial African would look like:

http://www.blackisbeautiful.se/uploaded_images/Bild-42-782278.png
iamsam82

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:24 am
@Francis,
I stand corrected, Francis!

Can you stand like that, Eoe?
Green Witch

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:29 am
I agree, Eoe's image looks Nubian:

http://www.foreign-independent-tours.com/images/tourdetails/BTMAG_KingQueen.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:39 am
@Green Witch,
If this is a "true" imagine of her - and she is believed to be beautiful, it could simply be, what was considered beautiful during her time. For example, look at any paintings of beautiful women...depending on the era, we would not consider many of them to be beautiful, however, at that time, they were considered beautiful.
eoe

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:49 am
She wasn't Greek. Greece and Macedonia were not the same place nor the same peoples.

www.ancientmacedonia.com/gandeto.html

My point is simply this-who knows really? Who knows who slipped in and out of who's tent, palace, cave, whatever? On continents rich with people of all colors, one can only hazard a guess at best.
contrex

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 08:04 am
@eoe,
eoe wrote:
My point is simply this-who knows really?

I do not think anybody has said otherwise.
0 Replies

iamsam82

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 08:14 am
@Linkat,
You're right. I mean a hundred years ago, buxom, reubenesque females were considered beautiful (evidence of delectation for fatties in mesolithis Malta too!). And just 40 years ago, wide hips and untrimmed pubic hair was a staple in feminine beauty. It was all stick thin until recently. We're coming out of that now, thank God. But, yep, you're right - society's perception of the beautiful changes very often. Yet I would argue their are always some underlying similarities.

Whatever the case, we are talking colour here, not beauty. Liz Taylor pictures were shown (Northern European type), Monica Bellucci (Mediterranean type) and a couple of black models. Out of the four we've had posted, I'd suggest Bellucci, being like Cleo a mediterranean herself (Italian), is probably the closest in terms of race, forget beauty (no-one ever was as hot as Bellucci).

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v240/221/106/721147568/n721147568_536809_2808.jpg

Here's a picture of Mirhan Hussein, a modern day Egyptian girl from Cairo and wannabe singer-model. She's currently on their version of fame academy. As you can see, she's closest to Bellucci in terms of race.

God I love Monica Bellucci.
Francis

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 08:19 am
@iamsam82,
iamsam wrote:
no-one ever has been as hot as Bellucci

Waf, waf!

Uttering nonsense again, iamsam?

Or have you never seen hot women?
iamsam82

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 08:20 am
@eoe,
Quote:
She wasn't Greek. Greece and Macedonia were not the same place nor the same peoples.

huuuuuuh?

While it's true Greece as a unified country did not exist, how are Athenians, Macedonians and Spartans not racially speaking the same peoples? Even if there were slight differences in features, you cannot be suggesting the Macedonians were black?!

And how are you backing up the claim "She wasn't Greek"?
0 Replies

iamsam82

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 08:23 am
@Francis,
Damn it! Francis! We meet again.

Listen, you are welcome to prove me wrong on this one (as, going on previous experiences, you no doubt will), but let's start a separate thread on "Who in the history of hotness was hotter than Monica Bellucci?" eh? I'll definitely join in.
Green Witch

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 08:29 am
@Francis,
Monica Bellucci seems pretty hot. I can see that even as a woman. So who are your hot picks Francis?

(just noticed Iamsams post - go ahead and start your own ogling thread)
Francis

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 08:29 am
@iamsam82,
Ok, start the thread, I'll join you..
0 Replies

Francis

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 08:30 am
@Green Witch,
I'll tell you on the other thread, GW...
iamsam82

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 08:47 am
@Francis,
http://able2know.org/topic/134862-1
0 Replies

Thomas

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 08:58 am
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

That's true. But Macedonia lies North of Greece -- farther away from Africa. If Cleopatra had Black ancestors, they would have been even less likely to come from a Macedonian lineage than a Greek lineage.

eoe wrote:
My point is simply this-who knows really? Who knows who slipped in and out of who's tent, palace, cave, whatever? On continents rich with people of all colors, one can only hazard a guess at best.

That's true as well. But just because nobody really knows, that doesn't mean every guess people make on the matter has an equal chance of being true. So, sure, it isn't categorically impossible that Cleopatra was partly Black. But for that, she would have had to beat at least two long odds:

1. Cleopatra's official lineage is a dynasty of in-breeding Macedonian immigrants to Africa. Because of the persistent in-breeding, most people in this lineage were of purely European ancestry. Only some of them were adopted into the lineage, after being fathered out of wedlock by those Macedonians and their courtesans. But most weren't.

2. The courtesans in the court of Egyptian kings would have been a more or less representative sample of the local population. The local population in Mediterranean Egypt was White, as was practically all the African population North of the Sahara, and as it has remained to this day. Sure, there might have been the odd Nubian among those courtesans. (Nubia lied in the Nile Valley, in today's Southern Egypt and Northern Sudan It's the only region remotely within reach whose inhabitants would have been Black.) But most courtesans on an Egyptian court wouldn't have been Nubian.

Mind you, the claim in Black folklore isn't that Cleopatra might have been kind of blackish. It's that she probably was, and that Hollywood producers must have been very Eurocentric to cast Liz Taylor and similar-looking actresses for the role of Cleopatra. This variant of the claim is just glurge. Cleopatra is much more likely to have looked like Liz Taylor than like Pam Grier.
0 Replies

eoe

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 09:25 am
Whatever makes you happy. I'm done with it.
Thomas

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 09:30 am
@eoe,
Reality isn't about what makes you happy. It's about what's true. You are not entitled to a historic reality that makes you happy; none of us is. (Dagmaraka put it best in the post that became my signature line.) But if you prefer not to face reality as it is, if you prefer to believe in myths that make you happy instead -- then fine, suit yourself!