I Am A Nervous Wreck - So Talk to Me Please!

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 11:51 am
@farmerman,
My vet did not tell me that farmerman. Hmmm, sure sounds like he should of. I will definitely do that and thank you so much for telling me.

Yes, she has two teats.
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 01:19 pm
@Arella Mae,
Im talking out my ass re: horses so, if your vet says dont collect colostrum and go with a milk replacer should the momma have problems, hes the pro. However, for sheep and cattle, weve never gone wrong by adminisering a little somethin like a nice shot of cool colostrum to the bambini. Our problem is that we have a set of Sicilian asses, several different breeds of cows and several hundred sheep. Mark your colostrum with a name and number and date.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 01:26 pm
@farmerman,
I meant the vet never mentioned it farmerman. I'm doing research on it though because it sounds like good common sense to me.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 09:32 pm
Thought it was time for an update. No baby yet! But would you look at how huge Little Miss Joy's belly is! Surely, she's gonna either give birth to a full grown horse or explode!

Having trouble getting the code for the pic. Please standby. LOL
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 09:50 pm
Okay, let's see if I got it to work.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6121/hpim1981d.th.jpg
Sglass

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 01:11 am
@Arella Mae,
Good to know all is going well.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 02:07 am
@Arella Mae,
QActually Ive seen bigger. We have many neighbors that have draft horses like Belgians or Pwercherons. These guys really can look like Zeppelins.
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:53 am
@farmerman,
Um, okay so does that mean she's not close? I was hoping since she is getting so wide that it means she is a lot closer. If she was bred like she should have been, so she'd deliver in the fall, I'm thinking it'll be soon. I have no way of finding out when she was bred and the vet really wasn't a big help about how far along she might be. But, what do I know? I thought she was in labor before Laughing I guess I am learning a lesson in patience here. Wink
farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:01 am
@Arella Mae,
One way to tell with livestock. Qhen they are within a few days of delivering, they develop a "hollow" point at the bottom and posteriro area of their distended belly. The hollwo is on both ides and merely lets us know that something big is getting into the birth canal. Why dont you see qwhether ptiodog or cowdoc can give any real insights. Maybe what Im sayin is only vlid for sheep and cows.

Dont OVERFEED her as she gets close.
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 04:18 pm
@farmerman,
That's a good suggestion asking patiodog or cowdoc. I didn't think of that. Okay, should I feed her the same amount as always or am I supposed to decrease her amount? She is still good and round and I don't see a hollow point so I guess we still have a ways to go.

Geesh, seems like the more I think I am learning about horses the less I really know.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 04:59 pm
@Arella Mae,
How are things going on the ranch?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 06:17 pm
Well, Little Miss Joy's belly is growing bigger everyday. It's so funny when she walks towards me. She sticks out like crazy on both sides and her belly just sways back and forth. She is keeping more and more distance from her two year old Lulu. They were inseperable and now they are not. She actually chases Lulu away. I'm thinking that's an indication the baby is coming soon. But how soon is, I have no clue.

Lulu is doing great. She let's me pet her now. She is losing her fear of humans and she is starting to finally look healthy.

I was going to ride Big Mac yesterday but when I got him out I noticed he had blood running down his face. He somehow got a good two inch cut on his forehead. I cleaned it up and put some antibiotic ointment on it. I won't be riding for a couple of days because the front piece of the bridle goes right across where he is cut. So, he's getting a break.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:45 pm
@Arella Mae,
holey kamoley, I just went to the beginning of the thread - early/mid July - you thought Little Miss Joy was in labour!

it's been a long wait, hasn't it! it's been great reading about you and your herd. a nice break on an evening.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:57 pm
@ehBeth,
I think back to that day and I seriously have to laugh out loud. I was in a real panic. Even had my trainer rush over here. She does that funny moving around quite a bit but at least now I know it's her trying to get comfortable. Every once in awhile I can see the baby moving and it's the most awesome thing. Of course, I never have the camera there at the time.

I am glad you like reading about my herd. I do love talking about them. I have to figure out how to put a video on youtube of Big Mac. I videoed him with me opening the gate and him walking up to the house to get his food. It's so funny. I never have to go farther than the gate to get him.

Oh, this is funny, well, at least to me it is. When I open the garage door, where their food and hay is kept, I always thought it was Lulu that let out this really loud squeal like an excited little kid. Well, today, I found out it's Miss Joy. She came up to the fence to eat and let go the funniest squeal. I so cracked up at her.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 05:42 pm
@Arella Mae,
<tap tap tap>

Waiting to become an auntie Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:29 pm
Tell me about it! I swear I am going to chase that horse around the danged pasture a couple dozen times. She gets bigger everyday. She is a blimp! I can see that baby moving in her. She is still distancing herself from Lulu but still no baby! Grrrrrrrrrrr!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:21 am
Um, at the risk of getting too excited here, I just took some treats out to the horses and I bent down to check Miss Joy's teats and milkbag to see if there was any change. She has drops of milk (well, colustrum) hanging from her teat! So, I'm thinking it won't be long now folks!

It looks to me like the foal has moved back towards her hindquarters some but I don't really trust my judgment on this, if you know what I mean?! Laughing I had to keep staring and staring to make sure I was really seeing white drops on her teats! But I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 05:19 pm
@Arella Mae,
http://www.arthistoryclub.com/art_history/upload/1/13/The_Knitting_Woman_painting_by_William-Adolphe_Bouguereau.jpg
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 05:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Um, that's a beautiful picture ehBeth. Is she braiding her hair or is it cut off? I can't tell.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 05:30 pm
@Arella Mae,
'my' hair is tied back in a kerchief

"I'm" knitting a foal blanket.