I Am A Nervous Wreck - So Talk to Me Please!

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 07:13 pm
@Arella Mae,
I ended up watching a LOT of youtube about mule days in Benson last night.

I blame JJ !
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 07:17 pm
@ehBeth,
I hope so ehBeth. I could tell he really loves them. They will get excellent homes. Me and Pam and Dave will see to it!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 07:18 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I ended up watching a LOT of youtube about mule days in Benson last night.

I blame JJ !
I tell ya, that little (not so little anymore) mule of mine is a heartbreaker. Everyone that sees him just falls in love with him. He is trying to talk lately. He makes sounds kind of like a gorilla. I been thinking about asking Dave to bring Ruth over here to give him voice lessons.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:56 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

I can't remember if I posted this picture before or not. If I did, forgive me doing it again. Dave is madly in love with his mule, Ruth. A bunch of us went in together and bought Dave a new mule saddle. If you knew Dave, you'd know why we find it humorous he loves her so much. This isn't the greatest picture but I love it.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5335/daveonruth.jpg

That's so cool... My wife is married to her mule...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:01 pm
I just had the worst scare. I came home from the feedstore and Mac, Lulu, and JJ were being penned in a part of the yard by the dogs. The pasture gate was wide open. I grabbed a bucket of treats and got Mac to follow me right back in but Lulu got spooked by the dogs and took off running in the woods and JJ went with her. I came in and called my husband and he said he'd be right here. He tolod me go close the gates at the driveway here and next door. I walked the woods as far as I could go. I went down every trail. I lost their hoofprints when the woods got too thick. I am screaming "JJ! Lulu!" crying like a baby. I couldn't find them! I came back to the house and called Dave and told him and said Mac was too upset for me to ride. He was running all over the place. Dave said he'd be right here and saddle Mac and go look. I couldn't find them anywhere! I called the sheriff and told them in case anyone reported seeing them. Well, just as I was getting up to go back out and look again, Johnny walks in and says, "I found them and they are back in the pasture." I don't think I honestly knew how much I loved them until today. The thought of them being lost was almost more than I could bear.

I'll be picking up the older mare and the paint at 4:30 today. As soon as my heart gets to an acceptable beat I'll upload pics of the mare. She is a registered buckskin quarter horse and at one time must have been quite a beauty. She has stripes on her legs.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:17 pm
This is Bucksalina. She is a 22-year old registered Quarterhorse buckskin. At one time she must have been a real beauty. She has front hoove problems so she has to keep shoes on them and the shoes have to be on her backwards. She is not in any pain. The vet did a nerve-ectomy (not sure that is what it is called) to keep her feet from hurting. As you can see, she has stripes on her legs. I think that is so cool. She was so sweet and gentle. I want to find someone who will take her to a good, warm home and just let her live out what few years she has as a pasture horse. The vet says she has a 100 lb. load limit but I'd rather she had a zero load limit.
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/4527/bucksalinaandthepaint18.jpg

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4527/bucksalinaandthepaint18.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4527/bucksalinaandthepaint18.jpg

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4527/bucksalinaandthepaint18.jpg
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 06:13 pm
Mission accomplished! Bucksalina and the paint are now rescued. Salina is at my friend, Pam's where I know she will be taken great care of and the man that has my Hank and Indy in his pasture took the paint! So, he's just right down the road from me. He is only greenbroke and too much of a horse for a woman so Todd is the perfect owner. Hank and Indy were having a blast running around with him. The pic of them isn't very good because it was getting dark but you can see them.

Salina walked right in that trailer! Sheesh! I've spent thousands on training for Mac and he's a butt to load.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/186/horsesrescued182011009.jpg

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/477/horsesrescued182011016.jpg

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5986/horsesrescued182011019.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 06:18 pm
I'm glad your kids are home where they belong, and that the new horses are getting settled in as well. That paint is g.o.r.g.e.o.u.s.!
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 06:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Isn't he though? He is quarter horse/missouri foxtrotter so he's gaited. He is going to make someone a fine ride.

Almost forgot! That is my friend, Pam and her husband in the pictures.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 08:50 pm
I really need some help. Pam just told me that we need to put Bucksalina down. She is in a lot of pain and very crippled up. It may be the trailer ride and this cold weather has been too much for her.

Johnny said we need to tell the guy we got her from. I suppose he is right and it's the right thing but what if he wants her back? He's had her since she was born and maybe he couldn't stand the thought of that happening?

Pam will take her into Dr. Odom's and he will let her go to sleep. Pam said she has seen him do this before and the horse doesn't suffer at all. It's actually easier on a horse than it is a dog or a cat.

Should we tell Dan or not? Do we take the chance he'd want her back and she will go on suffering or do we just take her to the vet?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 08:55 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
We ran into the owner of those horses today and come to find out Johnny has known the man for years. He wants to leave the area so he can find work and did not want to send his horses to sale because odds are they'd end up in Canada or Mexico for slaughter. Sooooooooooooo, he told me I could have them. The mare is 25 years old and he says is an awesome kids' horse.

How soon would he be leaving? that might change how I'd personally answer your question about telling him about Pam's plan to put down Bucksalina.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 08:57 pm
@ehBeth,
He won't be leaving. Pam's husband found him a job. They do the same kind of work so he's going to be working with him. That would make it kind of hard to keep him from knowing she was gone if I didn't tell him.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 08:58 pm
@Arella Mae,
Yeah, he needs to be told.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 08:59 pm
@ehBeth,
I know you are right. I just never expected for this to happen. I feel guilty because maybe if we hadn't of moved her it'd be different.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 09:09 pm
@Arella Mae,
This cold weather would have been really hard on her regardless. She looks like she doesn't have the physical resources to manage the cold. We have special blankets and things for horses in cold weather but you guys probably aren't all set up for that on a regular basis.

Dan might want to spend some time with her in the last day. He needs to know.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 09:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Johnny said he would go find Dan tomorrow and tell him. I know it's the best thing for her. I don't want her in pain and it's really bothering Pam to see her like that. I have to remember all that matters is that she won't be in pain anymore and these days at Pam's she had plenty of love and food. Thanx ehBeth. I really appreciate you talking with me about this.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 09:20 pm
@Arella Mae,
Is there a way to get her warm/keep her warm for the last bit? I know my arthritis is a lot more painful when I'm cold.

You and Pam and your friends have done a good thing. All three of his horses would have been lost without your intervention. None of you can really do anything about the weather.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 09:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Pam has her in a stall with a blanket and fresh hay. I think she had just lost too much weight before he decided to give her up. She just didn't have enough meat on her bones to help her.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:48 pm
I agree that he should be told. If nothing else he deserves to have a few moments with her before she goes. It will aslo do her good to have someone familiar by her when it's her time.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 11:53 am
@Aldistar,
Johnny couldn't find Dan yesterday so he is trying again today.