I Am A Nervous Wreck - So Talk to Me Please!

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 10:50 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I sure wish Mac would! He is so prone to rain rot. If it rains for a week here then he always comes down with the rain rot and then I have to do the daily baths, etc., with the medicated shampoo. If it rains just once during the week I can give him a quick washdown with the shampoo and it stops him from getting the rain rot. Joy loves the rain. She just stands in it and let's it roll off her. My horses just don't seem to like to be inside at all. I stopped trying to get them to stay inside when it rains. They would rather be in the weather. color]
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 11:23 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
I sure wish Mac would! He is so prone to rain rot. If it rains for a week here then he always comes down with the rain rot and then I have to do the daily baths, etc., with the medicated shampoo. If it rains just once during the week I can give him a quick washdown with the shampoo and it stops him from getting the rain rot. Joy loves the rain. She just stands in it and let's it roll off her. My horses just don't seem to like to be inside at all. I stopped trying to get them to stay inside when it rains. They would rather be in the weather. color]
Maybe thay like how it feels.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:04 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
He is so prone to rain rot
What is that? e keep our sheep out of the barns and pasture sheds as much as possible. We medicate against fy strike with a prophyllaxis of Ivermectin at the beginning of the spring and we shear in mid MAy. Wewve never had any fungal problems on any animals except one stray dog we yook in . That one had a sarcoptic mange and it was a dilly to cure.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 02:59 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
He is so prone to rain rot
farmerman wrote:
What is that? e keep our sheep out of the barns and pasture sheds as much as possible.
For what reason ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 07:38 pm

I wonder how JJ liked the rain ?

David
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 08:24 pm
farmerman, I have no idea why Mac is prone to rain rot. I asked the vet and he said some horses are just more prone to it than others. He told me to give Mac a medicated bath once a week but this last bout of rain rot was because it rained for nearly two weeks here and he didn't get his bath. It's all cleared up now so I will keep him bathed. I also bought some spray to put on him that is supposed to also help with the bacteria that causes the rain rot so I will be using that inbetween baths.

JJ was out there running around in the rain with his mom this afternoon. It seems not much phases that little guy. He just has fun no matter what he does. It snow flurried today and he didn't even seem to notice.

I was gonna bring Mac home this weekend but the weather was bad so he will be home later this week.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 08:40 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
farmerman, I have no idea why Mac is prone to rain rot. I asked the vet and he said some horses are just more prone to it than others. He told me to give Mac a medicated bath once a week but this last bout of rain rot was because it rained for nearly two weeks here and he didn't get his bath. It's all cleared up now so I will keep him bathed. I also bought some spray to put on him that is supposed to also help with the bacteria that causes the rain rot so I will be using that inbetween baths.

JJ was out there running around in the rain with his mom this afternoon. It seems not much phases that little guy. He just has fun no matter what he does. It snow flurried today and he didn't even seem to notice.

I was gonna bring Mac home this weekend but the weather was bad so he will be home later this week.

When will u bring home JJ 's sister ?

David
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 07:29 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Two weeks after Mac comes home. Then two weeks after that I'll bring Hank and then two more weeks and I'll bring Indy home. The only horse I am really concerned about not behaving around the baby is Hank. But, Mac pretty much has established himself as Miss Joy's protector so Hank just might realize he isn't the boss.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:06 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Two weeks after Mac comes home. Then two weeks after that I'll bring Hank and then two more weeks and I'll bring Indy home. The only horse I am really concerned about not behaving around the baby is Hank. But, Mac pretty much has established himself as Miss Joy's protector so Hank just might realize he isn't the boss.
What 's the problem with Hank ?
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 01:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The problem with Hank is that he is half Tobiano. The other half is Thoroughbred. Both are fairly high strung type horses, but Tobianos being the worst as far as I am concerned. Indy, Hank's sister, who is fullbred Tobiano, is the only one that will keep Hank in line. She won't let him charge her, kick, bite, etc. But when he was here with Lulu and Little Miss Joy he was pretty mean to them. I don't want to take the chance Hank is going to hurt the baby in any way.

He has been at the other pasture (over at Todd's) with Indy and Lulu went over there a few months ago and he seems to be behaving himself. But, he's the only male there and I don't know if that is making the difference.

Hank really needs to go to Dave's for at least three months like Mac did. But, I am afraid my husband just isn't the type to make Hank behave. He half understands that Hank needs to be disciplined but he has a hard time doing it. My husband has always treated Hank like a pet and he let him get away with a lot. Hank tried to run Johnny down and that is how I finally got him to understand Hank needed to be taken away from where Miss Joy was. I was afraid he'd hurt her but Johnny is really looking forward to Hank coming back home. I just need to convince him that Hank needs training and discipline before that can happen
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 08:26 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
The problem with Hank is that he is half Tobiano. The other half is Thoroughbred.
Both are fairly high strung type horses, but Tobianos being the worst as far as I am concerned.
Indy, Hank's sister, who is fullbred Tobiano, is the only one that will keep Hank in line.

She won't let him charge her, kick, bite, etc.
But when he was here with Lulu and Little Miss Joy he was pretty mean to them.
How does she restrain him from such misbehavior ?

David
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 07:17 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Indy is a big horse. She is as tall as Mac, 16.1 hands, but she has a couple hundred pounds on him. Hank is a lot smaller than Indy. He's about 15.4 hands and isn't stocky like Indy so he pretty much listens to her when she grunts at him. She has even charged him and bitten him at times when he's gotten out of hand. Indy is, by far, the biggest horse and probably the most dominant one I have. I don't know if I will be able to introduce her back into the pasture with the rest of them yet. I will try it but we will just have to wait and see. We might have to fence off part of the pasture to keep Hank and Indy in it.

Mac came home last night. Johnny was off yesterday so when I got home he had the truck and trailer hitched and said let's go get Mac. Mac is glad to be home and he's very interested in little JJ. JJ is wanting to play with Mac so badly but Joy is having none of it yet. Everytime JJ would run toward Mac, Joy could cut him off and just stand there keeping him away. But JJ, smart little guy, would just turn around and run the other way so he was really keeping Joy busy.

They were all eating together this morning so it looks like there won't be any problems. I imagine by the end of the day JJ and Mac will be racing. Mac definitely knows he ain't da baby daddy.

I took video of Mac coming home and I'll get it on youtube tonight. I have a cold so last night I was just kind of blah and went to bed early.
sozobe

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 07:20 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Everytime JJ would run toward Mac, Joy could cut him off and just stand there keeping him away.

That shows that she can outrun him when she wants to...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 07:54 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:
Everytime JJ would run toward Mac, Joy could cut him off and just stand there keeping him away.

That shows that she can outrun him when she wants to...
I imagine that she must have a much greater stride than he does.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 08:06 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Indy is a big horse. She is as tall as Mac, 16.1 hands, but she has a couple hundred pounds on him. Hank is a lot smaller than Indy. He's about 15.4 hands and isn't stocky like Indy so he pretty much listens to her when she grunts at him. She has even charged him and bitten him at times when he's gotten out of hand. Indy is, by far, the biggest horse and probably the most dominant one I have. I don't know if I will be able to introduce her back into the pasture with the rest of them yet.
I have heard that when a horse bites a human,
the results have been catastrophic sometimes
(e.g., a lady with a facial bite that ripped off half of her face),
but how severe is it when a horse bites another horse ?

When a horse charges another horse, does his or her head hit,
or is there another point of contact (chest or shoulder, maybe?)
I have not had extensive opportunity to observe horses.

I hope that u r feeling better, Arella.

David
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:19 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Sozobe, I knew it! I knew Joy was letting JJ win all those races. She's such a good mom!

I, personally, have never been bitten by a horse but I have talked to others that have been. Dave, my trainer, has been bitten quite a few times. I don't know for sure but I don't think horses bite and keep hanging on like a pit bull or a snake might do. I have seen Hank "nip" at Johnny and Joy will try "biting" but it's a quick thing of reaching out with her teeth and retreating.

As far as biting each other? Oh yeah, they can cause some damage from just pulling out hair to actually taking out chunks of meat from another horse. Joy has bitten Mac a couple of times. She would stand on her hind legs and take a good bite out of Mac. Only once she broke the skin and it wasn't too bad of a bite but I think she is very capable of taking out a chunk of flesh.

I have seen plenty of times over at Dave's where the horses had bitten each other on the neck, legs, and rear.

In one of the videos I put on youtube, you see Dave swing at Miss Joy becaused she tried to bite him. So, you can see a horse can be pretty quick in its movements and you really have to be cautious and most importantly, the horse has to be disciplined. If it wasn't for Dave, I'd probably have been bitten, run over, and thrown off more times than I could count! Confused

Thanx David! I am feeling better than I was. Going riding on Mac tonight!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:23 am
@Arella Mae,
I 'm glad that u r feeling better, Arella.

Do the horses kick each other ?

David
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:46 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Oh yeah and Miss Joy will kick you clear to the other side of the pasture. Mac isn't one for kicking but Dave did tell me Little Red (one of Dave's horses) tried to bite Mac the other day on a trail ride and Mac did kick Little Red. Now, I have seen Indy kick. When she was at the first trainer's a horse came up behind her and put his snout up her butt and she raised both back legs and let him have it full in the face. Nearly knocked the poor guy out. Kicking is not something my horses have done a lot of, unless they feel provoked. You can always tell when they are getting ready to kick. The first thing they do is turn their butt towards you. Ya never let a horse do that. You take control and get that horses' butt away from you by applying pressure of some kind. You can do that with a stick, carrot stick, rope, or just forcefully walk at the horse's rear (to the side of it) and they will usually turn their eyes back to you, which is what you always want a horse to do. Give you "two eyes" as Clinton Anderson calls it.

For being such large animals, horses really are big cowards. They know one state of fear. They think whatever it is that scared them is going to kill them. Dave taught me that about horses. But, you can pretty much back a horse down by charging at it. Mac will back up pretty fast if you charge at him. You can't let them bluff you.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 12:04 pm
@Arella Mae,

Do thay also kick with their front hooves ?
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 03:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I have never actually seen any of my horses rear up and kick with their front legs. JJ is a different story. He will rear up and put his front legs on his momma but I don't think he is trying to kick her.

I would venture a guess and say if two horses were in a knock down drag out fight they would probably use anything and everything they have to fight.