Guns: how much longer will it take ....

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2019 09:57 am
Quote:
House Passes First Major Gun Control Law in Decades

The House voted on Wednesday to require background checks for all gun purchasers,
including those at gun shows and on the internet — the first significant gun control bill to
clear the chamber in a quarter of a century.

The 240-to-190 vote is the first of two gun control measures expected to be put to House
lawmakers this week, a turning point in gun legislation after 25 years when the National
Rifle Association dominated the chamber. Last year’s massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas
High School in Parkland, Fla., prompted a wave of student-led activism that pressed Democrats
to unite around gun control, and the activists cheered when the measure cleared the 218-vote
threshold for passage.

The Democratic victory was tempered, however, after Republicans prevailed in adding a
provision that would require the F.B.I. to alert Immigration and Customs Enforcement if an
undocumented immigrant tried to obtain a firearm. Twenty-six Democrats, primarily from
moderate or Republican-leaning districts, broke party lines to support the measure.

But Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California and other Democrats insisted that would ultimately
have little import.
(NYT)
oralloy

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2019 06:25 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
The House voted on Wednesday to require background checks for all gun purchasers, including those at gun shows and on the internet -- the first significant gun control bill to clear the chamber in a quarter of a century.
Tie it to concealed carry reciprocity (or to the SHARE Act) and maybe we can work something out.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2019 09:29 pm
@oralloy,
No more fascistic NRA-backed legislation, now that we have one rational house of congress on the country's dise.
oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 03:33 am
@MontereyJack,
No to your gun control proposal then. If you won't compromise, then you get nothing at all.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 03:43 am
@oralloy,
you have no role in the decision -making.
oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 03:46 am
@MontereyJack,
Wrong. I'm a gun rights activist. You will not get your gun control passed without my support.

And you will not get your gun control passed.
livinglava

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 06:43 am
Does the 2nd amendment protect the right to bear arms on private property?
oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 12:32 pm
@livinglava,
Yes. And also when people go out in public.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 06:25 pm
Flat Earther's crack me up.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 08:06 pm
blondssweetie wrote:

This is a Russian rifle for hunters who live in New York and want to hunt Rocky Mountain game without leaving their own property:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobaev_Sniper_Rifle

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/55/OVL-3-rifle-02.jpg/300px-OVL-3-rifle-02.jpg

How will they retrieve their kills if they don’t want to leave their property?
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 09:38 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Wrong. I'm a gun rights activist. You will not get your gun control passed without my support.

And you will not get your gun control passed.

Have you considered that activism also includes responsible measures to keep harm from the general public? Your "do nothing" platform increases manufacturer's profits yet decreases the chance of survival if faced with the wrong end of the barrel.

How do you plan to reconcile the two opposing schools of thought?
oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 09:48 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
Have you considered that activism also includes responsible measures to keep harm from the general public?
No. I haven't.

If you want to have more gun control, you will have to compromise and give us some of what we want as well.

neptuneblue wrote:
Your "do nothing" platform increases manufacturer's profits yet decreases the chance of survival if faced with the wrong end of the barrel.
Nothing that is being proposed will change the profits of gun manufacturers.

Not that it would matter though. Compromise or get nothing. Your choice.

neptuneblue wrote:
How do you plan to reconcile the two opposing schools of thought?
I don't.

I plan to fight this gun control bill unless it is tied to something like concealed carry reciprocity or the SHARE Act.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 10:00 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
If you want to have more gun control, you will have to compromise and give us some of what we want as well.

I'm not understanding your compromise. What compromise is there when bullets are flying at you?

oralloy wrote:
Nothing that is being proposed will change the profits of gun manufacturers.

Not that it would matter though. Compromise or get nothing. Your choice.

My choice is to not get shot at.

oralloy wrote:
I don't.

I plan to fight this gun control bill unless it is tied to something like concealed carry reciprocity or the SHARE Act.

I don't see you fighting to breathe as air escapes your lung when a bullet pierces it. In other words, you don't fight at all. You run your mouth when others fight for their Life. That makes us on a totally different spectrum.
oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 10:10 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
I'm not understanding your compromise.
http://able2know.org/topic/131081-234#post-6771738
http://able2know.org/topic/131081-247#post-6800814

Compromise means both parties getting something that they want.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 10:13 pm
@oralloy,
Watch someone bleed out.

There is no compromise on Death.

oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 10:18 pm
@neptuneblue,
No to your gun control bill then.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 10:23 pm
@oralloy,
Then you're the first to go.
oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 10:26 pm
@neptuneblue,
I'm not going anywhere. And neither is your gun control bill.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 10:29 pm
@oralloy,
We shall see.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 10:32 pm
@oralloy,
You didn't do to well against the parkland kids. you can yammer all you want, you still have no tole in the decision making and the tide is running against you since your gun rights lead inevitably to gun murder. the midterms erent kind yo your side, 2020 will be worse.