Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 10:45 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
We shall see.
Take a look at what happened when Barack Obama spent the entire first hundred days of his second term trying to violate the Constitution.

We stopped him cold, and he lost any opportunity to get any legislation passed in his second term.

By 2016 the voters were so sick and tired of President Do Nothing that they chose the biggest change candidate that they could find to be our next president.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 10:52 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
You didn't do to well against the parkland kids.
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWg4XOTVoAAE1s6.jpg
http://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/966078572321562625

MontereyJack wrote:
you can yammer all you want, you still have no role in the decision making
Wrong again. America is a democracy no matter how much the left dislikes that.

I'm a gun rights activist. I play a central role in preventing you from having any new gun control.

MontereyJack wrote:
the tide is running against you
I would have thought you'd have learned your lesson from the 2013 gun control debacle and Obama's shattered presidency.

MontereyJack wrote:
your gun rights lead inevitably to gun murder.
So what? Are people are somehow "more dead" if they are killed with a gun instead of with some other weapon?

MontereyJack wrote:
the midterms erent kind yo your side, 2020 will be worse.
No gun rights politician lost in any rural district in 2018. No gun rights politician will lose in a rural district in 2020 either.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 11:59 pm
@oralloy,
I'll bet D'Souza is sorry he posted thst stupid picture,which you keep reposting. Afte rlthe parklamd kids saw the FL legislature saw the FL legislature sell them out, they went out nd MADE their own summer jobs. they spent the summer telling their story nationwide and 27 NRA lackeys lost their seats in midterms.
livinglava

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 12:01 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Yes. And also when people go out in public.

What I mean is does the 2nd amendment protect the right to bear arms for anyone on private property, regardless of what the owner/manager of the property says?

I.e. if you look at 1st amendment free speech protection, it is limited on private property when the speech is considered to be possible off the property, e.g. outside a shopping mall instead of inside it.

By the same logic, it would be possible to suppress the right to bear arms by saying that people in a shopping mall are able to bear arms outside the shopping mall so therefore the mall management can limit their right while they're inside the mall.

That logic doesn't really work from the POV of personal protection, because if you're shopping in a mall and someone attacks you, you're not going to be able to relocate the attack outside the mall to bear arms against your attacker.

So by that logic, anyone on private property should have the right to bear arms, but then you would have places like airports and nightclubs that would not want to allow people in with firearms. So in that case, the question becomes whether to enforce the right to bear arms in those otherwise-arms-restricted places, or whether to allow the 2nd amendment to be suppressed in certain places in the interest of security, such as in airports and nightclubs.

Then, if you are allowing the 2nd amendment to be suppressed for airports and nightclubs, how far can such exemptions be extended? E.g. can people exempt entire gated communities, mixed-use residential/commercial areas, etc. from the 2nd amendment and, for example, mandate gun-checks for people entering the area?

If so, what will determine the limits to when the 2nd amendment rights cannot be suppressed? I.e. when are people absolutely allowed to bear arms without restriction? Will it become like the 1st amendment where only governments are restricted from making laws against weapons and any private corporation/government is allowed to issue as many restrictions on weapons as their governance allows?

Another issue will be whether states and municipalities will be able to require property owners to post signage as to whether or not weapons are allowed in their venues. So, depending on what city/state/jurisdiction you are, you would have a sign at the entrance of a store or restaurant stating explicitly that weapons are allowed there and otherwise the default would be that they aren't allowed. Likewise, a government might say that businesses have to post signage explicitly prohibiting weapons and otherwise they are allowed. So if you enter a business with no sign, you should assume that weapons are allowed on the premises (that's probably the way it is in most places currently anyway).
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 12:07 am
@oralloy,
Rhe only place tou play a central role is your own mind. The SHAREact is hideous. compromising with that would be like going down to the crossroads at midnight to sell your soul to the devil. there was no 2013 gun debacle except in your own mind. 90 percent of americans supported ibama's pro[osal and do today, and the tide is against you. one more election cycle, this one much more fsvorble to dms sd we rake back the senate, tour rural districts see people fleeing them in droves. the times they are a-changib'.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 12:16 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Yes. And also when people go out in public
you say that. SCOTUSdoesn't. their word is the law. tour word is mere wish-fulfillment opinion.
oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 12:29 am
@MontereyJack,
Wrong. Since there is no good reason to prevent people from carrying arms in public, any law that prevents it is clearly unconstitutional.

And you'll be hearing from Justice Kavanaugh on the matter soon enough.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 12:30 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
If so, what will determine the limits to when the 2nd amendment rights cannot be suppressed?
The same standard that is used for all fundamental rights:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strict_scrutiny
oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 12:31 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
they spent the summer telling their story nationwide and 27 NRA lackeys lost their seats in midterms.
No one in a rural district lost their seat.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 12:32 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
The only place you play a central role is your own mind.
Wrong. America is a democracy no matter how much you do not like that.

MontereyJack wrote:
The SHAREact is hideous. compromising with that would be like going down to the crossroads at midnight to sell your soul to the devil.
Nonsense. Name one bad thing about it.

MontereyJack wrote:
there was no 2013 gun debacle except in your own mind.
Wrong. Obama really did spend the entire first hundred days of his second term trying to violate the Constitution.

We really did stop him cold.

Having wasted the entire first hundred days of his second term achieving nothing, Obama really did end up with no legislative achievements in his second term.

In 2016 the voters really did react to President Do Nothing by electing a change agent Republican.

MontereyJack wrote:
the tide is against you. one more election cycle, this one much more fsvorble to dms sd we rake back the senate, your rural districts see people fleeing them in droves. the times they are a-changib'.
Rural districts are not going anywhere.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 12:39 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Wrong. America is a democracy no matter how much you do not like that.
[]True. Which is why you don't play a central role.
Quote:
oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 12:45 am
@MontereyJack,
Wrong. The fact that America is a democracy means that I do get to participate.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 06:38 am
@oralloy,
you get to participate. so do I. so do 330 million other americans. you do no play any sott of central role. that is a delusion of grandeur.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 11:52 am

https://i.imgur.com/fcdjxhs.jpg
coldjoint

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 11:56 am
@Region Philbis,
I motion to put armed guards at schools like the Congress has. Start thinking before you meme.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 12:17 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
you get to participate. so do I. so do 330 million other americans. you do no play any sott of central role. that is a delusion of grandeur.
Central is your term. Whatever you mean by it, it's nothing to do with my views.

I get to be active on the issue. I get to talk to other people and persuade them as to the best course of action. I get to be one of the people who block your gun control from ever happening.

I get to play as much of a role as any other activist, and much more of a role than any non-activist.

And you are not going to get your gun control bill passed.
livinglava

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 12:57 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

livinglava wrote:
If so, what will determine the limits to when the 2nd amendment rights cannot be suppressed?
The same standard that is used for all fundamental rights:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strict_scrutiny

So what is the broadest level of government where a gun ban can pass 'strict scrutiny?' The municipal level? State level? Could a state government ban guns for an entire state, e.g. by a (state) constitutional amendment? Or would the Supreme court strike down the ban? What about a city charter/code?
oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 01:59 pm
@livinglava,
As far as Strict Scrutiny is concerned, the level of government is not important. What matters is whether the ban can be justified with a good reason.

So it all depends on what sort of guns are being banned. Something that there is a good reason for banning. Or something that there is no justification for banning.

Presuming that the ban can be justified, even the federal level would pass muster with Strict Scrutiny.

If there is no justification for the ban, it is not permitted at any level of government whatsoever.

The Tenth Amendment does forbid federal gun control, but at present the Supreme Court is not enforcing the Tenth Amendment.

There are no constitutional prohibitions against statewide gun laws if they pass muster with Strict Scrutiny.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 05:20 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
. I play a central role in preventing you from having any new gun control.
Quote:
actually it's your term not mine. self-aggrandisement much?
oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 05:24 pm
@MontereyJack,
Context is important. Read the full line of text. I was clearly referring to my role as a gun rights activist.

Gun rights activists like me are the reason why you will not get your gun control law passed.

Self aggrandizement is fine so long as it is factually accurate.
0 Replies