Guns: how much longer will it take ....

Olivier5

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 05:28 am
@oralloy,
Trump is a serious liar who wants to be able to lie with impunity. That's why he is trying to intimidate the press with threats of violence.
oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 05:42 am
@Olivier5,
Trump is not trying to intimidate anyone.

Trump is not threatening anyone.

Trump is not offering to do violence to anyone.

Well, except for North Korea and Iran.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 08:09 am
@oralloy,
You're in denial.
oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 08:31 am
@Olivier5,
It is proper that untrue claims are denied.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 09:52 am
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Since the pistol grip doesn't change the outcome of these shootings, it really doesn't matter if more crazed murderers are choosing to use guns that have a pistol grip.
If the pistol grip makes no difference, why did the military switch over to pistol grips for the assault weapons these rifles are emulating? It costs money to change the production line.
oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 10:17 am
@Blickers,
M-16s were already being produced with pistol grips. There was no switch in their production lines.

The main reason why people started making guns with pistol grips is because it enables the use of adjustable or collapsible stocks.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 11:39 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
Do tell. Let's take a real quick look at some of what you feel count as my inaccuracies:

It's hard to have a debate when you insist on putting words in my mouth and then "refusing" to even talk about the rest of the post. It shows a weakness in your argument.

Quote:
So he opened fire with an AR-15 in a movie theater but according to you it doesn't count as a mass shooting because he had backup weapons too. Sorry, it counts.

I didn't say this wasn't a mass shooting, I called into the account the lack of mentioning the other weapons and bombs he had.

Quote:
So it doesn't count as a mass shooting because he killed his family first before going out to shoot several more people who aren't family? Sorry, it counts.

Correct it doesn't count as a mass shooting. It was a shooting spree, not a mass shooting. There are 2 different meanings and definitions. To try and label all of these crimes as simply "mass shootings" is intellectually dishonest.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spree_killer
Quote:
A spree killer is someone who kills two or more victims in a short time, in multiple locations. The U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics defines a spree killing as "killings at two or more locations with almost no time break between murders".

Quote:
Errr....not quite. Here's the account:

I missed the death of a person. This still doesn't count as a mass shooting, it is a spree killing. As I noted above, there are different definitions for each type of crime. In fact "mass shooting" doesn't even have a solid meaning:
Quote:
A mass shooting is an incident involving multiple victims of firearms-related violence.[1] The United States' Congressional Research Service acknowledges that there is not a broadly accepted definition, and defines a "public mass shooting"[2] as one in which four or more people selected indiscriminately, not including the perpetrator, are killed, echoing the FBI definition[3][4] of the term "mass murder". However, according to the Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act of 2012, signed into law in January 2013, a mass killing is defined as a killing with at least three deaths, excluding the perpetrator.[5][6][7][8] Another unofficial definition of a mass shooting is an event involving the shooting (not necessarily resulting in death) of five or more people (sometimes four)[9] with no cooling-off period.[10][9][11] Related terms include school shooting and massacre.

Quote:
So-kill 2 people at a store, go home and shoot your parents, then open fire on the cops who are coming after you-and this doesn't count as a mass shooting according to you. Are you kidding?

No, I'm not kidding. That is a spree killer, not a mass shooter.

Quote:
I'm not going to bore the readers by going through any more of your excuses why mass shootings aren't really mass shootings.

Of course you won't, I point out the facts of the cases, you wanted to quibble over me missing which person in a shooting died?
When are mass shootings, not mass shootings? When they fail to meet the standard of what a mass shooting is. You also won't bother to "bore the readers", because I actually said 7 out of the 11 events were mass shootings:
Quote:
In all 7 out of 11 stories were actual mass shooter events, the other 4 stories would fall under normal murder states with guns. If these are all of the events that took place in the last 6 years that included AR type guns, you haven't really proven anything except people do indeed use these types of guns to murder people, which isn't in dispute, what's in dispute is the frequency in which you claim they happen.

So you dodge the rest of the post because it challenges your theory that these types of shootings are increasing since 2004, when the "facts" you provided only dated back to 2012... You also threw in a terrorist attack done by ISIS supporting couple as a "mass shooting".

Quote:
The use of assault style semiauto rifles is accelerating as we can all see. And ridiculous excuses are all we're going to get from the NRA advocates.

No we can't see, you would have to post information on all mass shootings since 2004, and show that the majority of those shootings happened with an AR type rifle. You can't do this, it's why you cherry pick years and then expand the definition of a "mass shooting" to include anytime people are shot, without any factually data behind the shootings and also ignore the mass shootings that have taken place with gun other than an AR. This is called intellectual dishonesty and propaganda.

I've never mentioned the NRA, to throw them into the debate is another desperate attempt to distract from the issues I raise. I haven't even used any NRA sources in any of the links I've posted. In fact the biggest source I have posted has been the 2013 CDC study on gun violence, which the anti-gun left avoid like the plague, it doesn't back their agenda on getting rid of guns.

Baldimo

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 11:42 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
If the pistol grip makes no difference, why did the military switch over to pistol grips for the assault weapons these rifles are emulating?

What are you talking about? Do you even know what rifle the military was using prior to the M-16? They didn't modify anything, the M1 Garand was a totally different rifle from the M-16.

Quote:
It costs money to change the production line.

What changes are you talking about? What production line and what weapon was modified?
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 09:46 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote Baldimo:
Quote:
So you dodge the rest of the post because it challenges your theory that these types of shootings are increasing since 2004, when the "facts" you provided only dated back to 2012.
You need to go back to school. Mass shootings employing assault-style semiautomatic rifles don't need to go back to 2004 to accelerate, they've been accelerating quite well since 2012.

I chose that number of years because six years is a fairly recent time frame, corresponding to most people's idea of "just the past few years". 2004 is nearly a whole generation ago-if someone was starting kindergarten in 2004, they've gone through high school and might be married with kids already.

Quote Baldimo:
Quote:
Correct it doesn't count as a mass shooting. It was a shooting spree, not a mass shooting. There are 2 different meanings and definitions. To try and label all of these crimes as simply "mass shootings" is intellectually dishonest.
Hah! So that's your tack-break up lists of incidents where someone using an assault-style semiauto shot many people, and separate them into lesser number of incidents of mass shootings as opposed to spree shootings as opposed to family arguments that just happened to get out of control and innocent strangers got shot. Oh yes, that should certainly convince the public that the assault-style rifles really aren't that deadly at all. You really do think people will fall for anything, don't you?

Blickers

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 09:52 pm
@Baldimo,
And to revisit one of your points:
Quote:
So you dodge the rest of the post.....
Your next to last post contained 7 separate quotes of mine complete with your answers to each one, which answers employed one quote of your own post and two from outside sources. A post previous to that of yours consisted of 9 quote boxes with my words from a previous post each followed by your individual response to each one. This type of post, which demands constant back and forth switching between a previous post and the present one, is quite unreadable for the vast majority of readers. For awhile I was responding to you using the same type of format, but it became clear to me that probably very few people were reading either your or my posts because of that format.

Therefore, when one of your posts consists of many quote boxes with your response, I reserve the right to deal with just one or two points in the interest of brevity and readability. For the future, I will make an effort to be briefer and more readable in my posting, and cease posting messages employing an outrageous number of quote boxes as well.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 11:33 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
You need to go back to school. Mass shootings employing assault-style semiautomatic rifles don't need to go back to 2004 to accelerate, they've been accelerating quite well since 2012.

No they havn't, that was the point of asking how far back did you look. According to the #'s you provided and the cases that actually fit the definination of "mass shooting", then we are looking at 1.1 mass shootings a year since 2012. In order to say they have been accelerating, you would have to look back and see that there were some years of no mass shootings with an AR type weapon. Your facts don't prove that, except for you to say so.

Quote:
I chose that number of years because six years is a fairly recent time frame, corresponding to most people's idea of "just the past few years". 2004 is nearly a whole generation ago-if someone was starting kindergarten in 2004, they've gone through high school and might be married with kids already.

Stop with the BS. If you are going to show an "acceleration" in anything, you need to provide some background into how many mass shootings in previous years and the types of weapons used. You made a stupid blanket statement based on 6 years when 7 shootings actually fit what a mass shooting is. That means 1.1 mass shootings per year with an AR in 6 years. What was the comparison for the previous 6 years?

Quote:
Hah! So that's your tack-break up lists of incidents where someone using an assault-style semiauto shot many people, and separate them into lesser number of incidents of mass shootings as opposed to spree shootings as opposed to family arguments that just happened to get out of control and innocent strangers got shot.

Yes, exactly. When you misuse the term "mass shooting" to falsely represent crimes, then the only thing to do is place those crimes into their correct definitions. It doesn't matter if I did or not, you still failed to show what the previous rate of mass shootings with an AR type rifle to actually prove there was an "acceleration" of such shootings.

Quote:
Oh yes, that should certainly convince the public that the assault-style rifles really aren't that deadly at all. You really do think people will fall for anything, don't you?

Do you think your untrue propaganda does this debate any justice? What do the FBI crime stats show? I'll point out again how your side of the debate ignores the 2013 CDC study on gun violence...

0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 11:39 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
Therefore, when one of your posts consists of many quote boxes with your response, I reserve the right to deal with just one or two points in the interest of brevity and readability. For the future, I will make an effort to be briefer and more readable in my posting, and cease posting messages employing an outrageous number of quote boxes as well.

There's a reason I post the way I do. I don't get accused of changing people's words when I reply to them or the original meaning of their post. It's for clarity and no other reason. You are intellectually lazy, nothing more and nothing less.
Blickers

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 12:03 pm
@Baldimo,
The reason you post the way you do is that you try to break something down into small parts or cancel it out so your side doesn't look so bad. Something can accelerate from 2012 onward just as easy as it can accelerate from 2005 onward.

When it gets to the point that you claim that someone going into a store and shooting two people dead, then driving to his parents' house and shooting them, (they somehow survived), then opening fire on the cops who came to arrest him doesn't count as a mass shooting and should be discounted, you're not convincing anyone.

But by all means continue to do this, so the public can see what the pro gun people are like.

Quote Baldimo:
Quote:
you need to provide some background into how many mass shootings in previous years and the types of weapons used.
I did that for 2012 through the present. And it was 11 shootings, not seven. If you want to go back farther, why don't you post it?

Baldimo

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 01:22 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
The reason you post the way you do is that you try to break something down into small parts or cancel it out so your side doesn't look so bad.

You mean breaking down the massive amount of bullshit you post about guns and giving people the actual information about them instead? Propagandists don't like it when you pick their propaganda apart.

Quote:
Something can accelerate from 2012 onward just as easy as it can accelerate from 2005 onward.

Sure you can, but to use this as a fact, and to use it as a fact to try and ban AR type rifles, you need to prove that there were less shootings with AR type rifles prior to the "acceleration" you claimed took place in 2012.

Quote:
When it gets to the point that you claim that someone going into a store and shooting two people dead, then driving to his parents' house and shooting them, (they somehow survived), then opening fire on the cops who came to arrest him doesn't count as a mass shooting and should be discounted, you're not convincing anyone.

You were the one trying to convince people that a shooting spree is the same thing as a mass shooting. I provided you the definitions for each of the types of crime, it's not my fault you are so deep into the propaganda that you can't see actual facts for what they are. I'm not letting you be dishonest with known definitions of crime terms, to fit your own version of events.

Quote:
I did that for 2012 through the present. And it was 11 shootings, not seven. If you want to go back farther, why don't you post it?

You can't be this dumb. You were trying to show an acceleration for mass shootings, you did no such thing, all you did was provide a list of shootings from 2012 till 2018. What in this list shows there has been an acceleration of such crimes, you made the claim now back it up.
Blickers

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 01:32 pm
@Baldimo,
I post the shootings of several people involving AR-15 style weapons, you're the one trying to set up the wall of impenetrable BS.

Once again, you try to break down the shootings involving AR-15 style weapons into different categories so the total doesn't seem so bad. You tell us Umm, that one is a mass shooting, that other one is a spree shooting, that third one started out as a family quarrel only continued on until some other non-family people got all shot up, so technically that's not a mass shooting either.

And you pro-gun people try to pass this off as clearing away BS other people post? You are pathetic. But that's all right, keep on keeping on. Sooner or later the public will realize there is nothing coming from your side except lame excuses why the bodies of innocents and children are piled up by your favorite little military lookalike toys.

Baldimo

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 02:20 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
I post the shootings of several people involving AR-15 style weapons, you're the one trying to set up the wall of impenetrable BS.

No, you specifically called every one of them a mass shooting, I only disputed 4 of the 11 you posted and said those were not mass shootings but different categories of shootings. I even provided the definitions of those types of shootings as proof of what I was posting.

Quote:
Once again, you try to break down the shootings involving AR-15 style weapons into different categories so the total doesn't seem so bad.

Aren't you doing the same exact thing but grouping them all together to make them look worse?

Quote:
You tell us Umm, that one is a mass shooting, that other one is a spree shooting, that third one started out as a family quarrel only continued on until some other non-family people got all shot up, so technically that's not a mass shooting either.

You used the term mass shooting, there is a specific definition for that term, which you were not using on purpose to push your point. I disputed using those shootings as mass shootings because they do not meet the definition of mass shooting.

Quote:
And you pro-gun people try to pass this off as clearing away BS other people post?

Sorry you don't like that the actual meanings of terms don't fit your evidence. You are trying to rely on emotion and flawed logic for these debates, and it's transparent.

Quote:
You are pathetic.

Not nearly as pathetic as trying to pass off propaganda as facts and logic.

Quote:
But that's all right, keep on keeping on.

I'll keep on asking for proof that there has been an acceleration of mass shootings with AR type rifles. Even if I agree that all 11 shooting were in fact mass shootings, those 11 shootings over 6 years is 1.8 shootings per year. Now you have to prove it has accelerated from the previous 6 years that it was lower than 1.8 per 6 years... You still haven't proven this, instead you have gone on this tangent of questioning the shootings instead of proving your point, typical.

Quote:
Sooner or later the public will realize there is nothing coming from your side except lame excuses why the bodies of innocents and children are piled up by your favorite little military lookalike toys.

I'm laughing at you right now, I'm still waiting on that proof that there has been some sort of acceleration on these types of shooting.

Blickers

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 06:36 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote Baldimo:
Quote:
No, you specifically called every one of them a mass shooting, I only disputed 4 of the 11 you posted and said those were not mass shootings but different categories of shootings.
AR-15 type weapons were involved in the shootings. Multiple people died in those shootings. That's the important thing. But no, according to Baldimo they don't count as anything to be worried about because they are spree shootings, not mass shootings and hey. we're only talking about mass shootings here.

So a guy walks into a liquor store, shoots two people dead, then drives a few blocks to his parents's home, shoots them, and starts shooting at the cops and we Baldimo hollers that we don't have a mass shooting here, we have a spree shooting because all the shooting didn't happen in one place. Instead, the gunman momentarily interrupted his shooting to drive a few blocks and then resumed his shooting immediately upon arrival. So according to Baldimo, the guy gets a free pass as far as being a mass shooter.

This is the mentality of the NRA adherent. Say something back-anything-no matter how warped.
oralloy

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 06:53 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Sooner or later the public will realize there is nothing coming from your side except lame excuses why the bodies of innocents and children are piled up by your favorite little military lookalike toys.
It's not like the presence of a pistol grip makes any difference to the outcome of these attacks.
Blickers

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 09:02 pm
@oralloy,
Even if that were true-it's not-the pistol grip makes the semi-auto more closely resemble an assault style weapon which is glorified in popular media. Hence, a disturbed person is more likely to use this weapon as his way of going out in a Blaze of Glory, along with as many innoent people as he can manage. Unless he chickens out at the last minute and lets himself get taken alive.

Assault style semiauto rifles are toys for grown ups who want to pretend to be Rambo.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 09:11 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
assault style weapon which is glorified in popular media.

Who did that? The Leftist morons in Hollywood.
Quote:
Hence, a disturbed person

Defeats your argument unless it is for better mental health.
Quote:
Assault style semiauto rifles are toys for grown ups who want to pretend to be Rambo.

Pretending is a progressive law, pretending their ideas have worked when they are the real cause of a lot of our problems, including this one.
0 Replies