Moving Advice Needed - U-haul trailer or moving company?

roger

Fri 20 Feb, 2009 10:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
I haven't pulled a driveshaft in 30 years or more, but I seem to recall the standard temporary plug was to just stuff a waxed Dixie cup into the back of the transmission. Now, this is not what you want on a trip of over a thousand miles, but it does suggest that some other improvision might be in order.
ossobuco

Fri 20 Feb, 2009 11:20 pm
@roger,
Btrfly, I worry. You know more than I do on a lot of this road stuff, so no advice.
Let it all work out to a great drive. Enjoy the hell out of it...
Butrflynet

Sat 21 Feb, 2009 12:16 am
@ossobuco,
I'm nervous too, Osso, especially after having read some more about tow dollies and the repeated admonition never to back up or make u-turns while using a tow dolly. That doesn't leave a lot of options for overnight parking at a motel in which there isn't a big chance someone will come along and easily unhitch my car or take the opportunity to easily steal both my car and the u-haul truck full of my belongings. I'm almost convinced I'd be better off just pulling into a trucker rest stop along the way and sleeping in the van and may very well do that.

I'm going to buy a couple padlocks for the truck door and the dolly hitch/chain mechanism, but those are rather easy to cut through. The only other deterent I can think of is to put a sign in my car saying the drive shaft has been removed.

Still a bit concerned about the no backing up admonishment though. I may need to do a bit of that, as well as a couple of tight turns just to get the truck and attached car into and out of the parking lot of my apartment complex.

The good thing is, just in case, I'll have double insurance coverage, my own personal car insurance as well as insurance I'm taking out on the truck and dolly. I don't know if any of it covers theft of car, truck and contents though.

And for everyone's peace of mind, the CB radio arrived today so that's covered.
mysteryman

Sat 21 Feb, 2009 05:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
There is nothing to be nervous about.
A simple rule of thumb when backing up a trailer is this...If you want the trailer to go to the right, turn your steering wheel to the left.

The car on the dolly will go the opposite way you turn the wheel when you are backing up.
Its not difficult to learn at all.

The chance of someone trying to steal your car off the dolly is almost nil.
Thats something you dont have to worry about.

FYI, every major truckstop will have internet access, and the major ones will have WiFi.
So if you take your laptop you will be able to use it on the road.
Rockhead

Sat 21 Feb, 2009 05:42 pm
@Butrflynet,
I will have you one on Monday, it is simply a plug of the correct size to pop in and stay in the hole, and not hit the output shaft.

I have to go to the warehouse anyway.

I am assuming you have a 4 speed automatic (AOD)
ossobuco

Sat 21 Feb, 2009 05:42 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good re the insurance. On motel parking lots, much variety, I see your concern.
The one I stayed at in Tucson (Red Roof or Red something, maybe or maybe not Red Lion - I'd have to look at that thread again) was huge and the lot went around the place, and as it was christmas time, I had the lot just about to myself, could have parked sideways across a bunch of spaces. Same with the one in Blythe, as you could see in that photo. Not so much in a couple of other places.

There's probably talk online somewhere about the backing up business. Thinking, I'd ask at UHaul, maybe higher up than just the guy at the desk - though the few guys at the desk that I've encountered, especially in Arcata, were sharp.

Oops, hadn't read mysteryman's post. Whew/
ossobuco

Sat 21 Feb, 2009 05:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, this was the place with the big parking lot (in my memory) - and it was a Red Roof Inn. I was situated right by the back door so I could easily drag Pacco's crate to the room.

http://www.eztrip.com/Arizona/AZ/Tucson/Red-Roof-Inn-Tucson-North/EZ27771.html
roger

Sat 21 Feb, 2009 06:06 pm
@mysteryman,
Or, you can put your hand at the bottom of the wheel, if you have trouble remembering. With your hand at the bottom, move the hand to the right and the trailer goes right.

Only two problems. You will have a slow turning tractor and a fast turning trailer. Also, it's possible the truck will obscure the view of the car. Even so, you're not going to be backing your way through a serphantine.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sat 21 Feb, 2009 09:39 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I will have you one on Monday, it is simply a plug of the correct size to pop in and stay in the hole, and not hit the output shaft.

I have to go to the warehouse anyway.

I am assuming you have a 4 speed automatic (AOD)

Not sure what you mean by the AOD, possibly overdrive. I have an automatic transmission that has low, drive and over drive if that helps. I don't have the operator's manual handy, I put it back in the car. I will check it tomorrow and post a correction if there is one.

Mysteryman, I don't have a laptop. I'll be using landlines and the CB radio for communication. Have printed out the AAA tripkit map, all 49 pages of it. It has detailed maps, including street maps of every town along the way. I feel very confident about the trip, just a little nervous about the tow dolly...it will probably go away once I get behind the wheel and start driving.

I did solve one problem. I went back to Uhaul today and arranged to pick up the truck, leave my car there, load the truck and then drive back to Uhaul and have them load my car and hook up the tow tolly. That will eliminate the tight manuvering problem here in the apartment complex and the dolly won't be in the way of the truck loading.

Regarding the backing up, every single towing tips site is telling me to never attempt to backup while using a tow dolly. They say it is fine with almost any other kind of towing configuration, but that the dolly has a high chance of jackkniving. Here's a quote from one of them:

Quote:
Tow dollies can also damage a car if you don't take the proper precautions. If your car has rear-wheel, four-wheel or all-wheel drive, you may need to disconnect and remove your car's drive shaft prior to using a tow dolly. You should never attempt to back up with a tow dolly attached to your towing vehicle -- the risk of jackknifing is too great.

Here's a quote from another site:

Quote:
Some vehicles work well with a tow dolly, which lifts the front two tires off the road. The towed vehicle's rear tires still make contact with the ground. A tow dolly cannot be used with most mid- or rear-mounted engine vehicles. Before using a tow dolly, you should learn the dolly's towing capacity. You should never attempt to back up a vehicle on a tow dolly -- while it's possible, it's not safe and can damage both vehicles. If you need to back up, the only safe option is to detach the two vehicles and back them up individually.

The issue isn't not knowing how the backing up works, it is the warning about the damage to both vehicles and the jackkniving bit they warn about while saying to never try backing up using a tow dolly that has me concerned.
Rockhead

Sat 21 Feb, 2009 09:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
You answered my question, and I will answer one of yours.

The car will follow you so tightly that it will almost not be there...

(also true when backing, so avoid those situations if possible)

I brought a Toyota P/U back behind a box truck from Jose to Chicago. your run will be easy...)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sat 21 Feb, 2009 09:49 pm
@Butrflynet,
By the way, I was only looking for a part number or description for the cap specific for the 93 Mercury Cougar. I hope you weren't thinking I meant for you to obtain and send it to me. That wasn't the intention at all.

Also, what kind of fluid is being plugged up, transmission fluid? I take it I should have an extra can of it with me for when the drive shaft is reconnected, right?
Rockhead

Sat 21 Feb, 2009 09:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
yes to the fluid, and mebbe to me sending a plug to your vacinity, depending on what the answer is on Monday.

(if you owned a Chevy, Kragen could do ya...)
Butrflynet

Sat 21 Feb, 2009 10:00 pm
@Rockhead,
There's a Ford dealership in the next town over, about 10 miles from here, where I've had repair work done before. I can probably get it from their parts department once I know what to ask for.

My problem is I'm running out of time to be able to do these errands. Need to be here sorting through stuff in preparation for the loading helpers that will be here Thursday afternoon.

Spent most of the afternoon at Lens Crafters today getting my eyeglass prescription filled. Have to go back again tomorrow to pick them up. My eyes have changed drastically since my last prescription so I'm glad I didn't wait to get the glasses in NM. Eye doctor told me the old prescription is entirely wrong in both the vision and stigmatism measurements.. Explains why I've had such a difficult time with both my near and far vision the last couple of years. Should be a lot easier driving at night with the new one.

Still need to find someone to cart away all the stuff I'm leaving behind too.... Grrrr.... Samantha Stevens where are you when I need you?
Rockhead

Sat 21 Feb, 2009 10:34 pm
@Butrflynet,
herein lies the problem...

this is not something readily used or produced. Those that do trans work every day use an old yoke (the piece attached to your driveshaft) but a one time use does not justify the pricetag.

When I used to sell and ship transmissions, there is a certain size plug that fit the AOD, and I think I can tell you where to get one Monday, but if not, I can send it in such a way to keep you comfy, and on time.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sat 21 Feb, 2009 11:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks Osso. I printed out the info from their corporate website. $70 bucks.... If the weather isn't too cold, I think I'm going to sleep in the truck if I can find a relatively safe and quiet spot. But, will keep that place in mind if the weather doesn't cooperate.

It rained here in Sacramento almost all last week and is supposed to start raining here again tonight through Wednesday, about 4 inches worth. We need the rain and it is supposed to be clear on Thursday when I'm packing the truck. Just hope it doesn't move southward where I need to drive. Glad I didn't go the northern route on hwy 40. Would probably have run into snow storms.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Sun 22 Feb, 2009 09:54 am
@Butrflynet,
Are you going to be able to call me every night so I know you are OK and how far you've made it?

I was looking at the #10 route and realized you will be driving close to your brother's house when you are on #25 freeway. If you can call him, he can join you in his car and lead you to my house. He also wants to help you remove the dolly and unload the van. When you reach #40 (which turns into #550) while driving on #25 before you reach Bernillio, that's where you want to call and wait for him to join you.

BBB
dyslexia

Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:25 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Are you going to be able to call me every night so I know you are OK and how far you've made it?

I was looking at the #10 route and realized you will be driving close to your brother's house when you are on #25 freeway. If you can call him, he can join you in his car and lead you to my house. He also wants to help you remove the dolly and unload the van. When you reach #40 (which turns into #550) while driving on #25 before you reach Bernillio, that's where you want to call and wait for him to join you.

BBB
BBB, your directions don't make any sense (at least to me)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:28 am
@Butrflynet,
I saw it for 62., forget which website - that's still a hunk of change and the number may not be the real charge. Plus, I haven't looked at other motels around Tucson re parking lots - I'd picked that one and aimed for it because of their policy re dogs.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Sun 22 Feb, 2009 01:30 pm
Butrfly,
If you are concerned about parkning that truck at hotels where you dont have to back up, I would suggest you stay every night in a hotel by any major truckstop (if you can).
Because they cater to truck drivers, those hotels will have parking spots you can pull thru, instead of having to back up.

There will be one at the bottom of the grapevine, just before you start going over it.
There are several in the Palm Springs area, and there is one in Blythe.

And once you get into AZ, almost every truckstop has a hotel near it that you can park at.
ehBeth

Sun 22 Feb, 2009 01:37 pm
@mysteryman,
Most Red Roof Inns I've stayed at have had drive-through spots.
0 Replies