Moving Advice Needed - U-haul trailer or moving company?

ossobuco

Thu 26 Feb, 2009 12:07 am
@Butrflynet,
I'd remain listening to MM, and to Dys, Dys knows a lot. Well, often. Roger is no dummie.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 26 Feb, 2009 12:14 am
@Butrflynet,
I hate seeing stuff gathered by webs, as if we all agree on thta.t
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Thu 26 Feb, 2009 08:47 am
Butrflynet is expected on Tuesday or Wednesday from her drive from California to ABQ. I will have a birthday cake ready for her along with her favorite big artichoke.

BBB
mysteryman

Thu 26 Feb, 2009 06:23 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I'll give her til thursday.
If we dont hear from her or you that she made it, I will call some people I know in NM and put the word out along the highway to look for her.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:05 am
@mysteryman,
Thanks, MM. Butrflynet disconnected her computer last night so our only communication will be by phone. She knows her mom is a worrier so she will keep in touch.

BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie

Sat 28 Feb, 2009 09:26 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Talked to Butrflynet last night Friday about 10 pm her time. She was very tired but got everything done. She will drive to U-Haul this morning Saturday to load her car and then she will be on her way. She wants to avoid rush hour traffic in L.A. Plans are to use #10 route through the desert. Expect her to arrive in ABQ Monday if all goes well.

She said the U-Haul truck is full. I'm making space for her computer and equipment in my office so she can get it set up ASAP. Everything else will be stacked in the garage until we find space for everything. Maybe I can finally find new homes for a lot of the good stuff I have but no longer need in the process of making room for Butrflynet's stuff.

She will have to sleep on the twin bed in her new bedroom until I get stuff cleared out of it to make room for her double bed to be brought in.

I've been telling Dolly and Maddy dogs about Butrflynet arriving. They don't know who she is but they will fall in love with each other.

BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie

Sat 28 Feb, 2009 12:42 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Butrflynet just called me from California U-Haul with bad news. The guy that promised to remove the drive shaft from her car for free changed his mind. She had to find another garage and pay $200 to have it removed. She is really disappointed at the delay in getting started and the high cost.

Don't you hate people that do that when she was trying so hard to plan everything well?

BBB

ossobuco

Sat 28 Feb, 2009 01:12 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Ouch.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Sun 1 Mar, 2009 08:25 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Saturday: Butrflynet called me at 6:30 pm her time. She was about to drive up the Grapevine in heavy rain and high winds. She said driving the truck and towing her car was easy. She can't drive more than 45 MPH as advised by U-Haul.

She called me again at 10:30 pm her time after she reached Pasadena. Said she couldn't find a motel in the city that allowed her to drive through without having to back up. The straps that hold the car on the dolly had come loose and she was looking for a open gas station to help her. She said she probably would have to park and sleep in the truck. Hope she's safe.

It's 6:30 am her time Sunday now. Haven't had a call from her yet. I hope she was able to get the dolly straps fixed and got some sleep before starting out again.

BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie

Sun 1 Mar, 2009 10:31 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Butrflynet just called me at 8:15 am Sunday from Palm Springs.

She couldn't find a safe place in Pasadena to park and sleep in the truck, so she kept driving to Palm Springs. She was getting so sleepy and found a motel but couldn't drive the truck into their parking lot. So she parked it on the street, and walked to the motel and got a room. She got about four hours of sleep and wants to sleep for about two hours more before she heads for Blythe.

She found the the U-Haul in Palm Springs and they fixed the dolly strap problem.

BBB
ossobuco

Sun 1 Mar, 2009 11:18 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Thanks for the update. Tough re Pasadena and going further with the dolly strap problem. Whew.
0 Replies

roger

Sun 1 Mar, 2009 11:34 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Wow. I would remove driveshafts all day for $200.00, and I am not a mechanic.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Sun 1 Mar, 2009 12:13 pm
@roger,
They really took advantage of Butrflynet because she was a woman and because she had an emergency with few choices.

Scum bags!

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sun 1 Mar, 2009 12:20 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Wow. I would remove driveshafts all day for $200.00, and I am not a mechanic.
yeah
0 Replies

mysteryman

Sun 1 Mar, 2009 12:23 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
If I had known they were gonna screw her regarding the driveshaft, I would have called my dad.
He lives in Palm Desert and would have gladly removed it for her, and all it would have cost her is a diet coke.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Sun 1 Mar, 2009 12:37 pm
@mysteryman,
I thought the scum bags charged her $200 but she told me today it was $250.

BBB
mysteryman

Sun 1 Mar, 2009 12:41 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
She needs to report the station that did it to the Ca authorities, or at least to the Better Business Bureau.
They robbed her, simply because she is a woman.

Tell her to keep the name of the company and put it on "Angies list" for the Sacramento area, with a bad review.
That will let other people know that they are a rip- off place.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Sun 1 Mar, 2009 12:42 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
not to fan the flames, but the job is four smallish bolts, and wipe up a puddle.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Sun 1 Mar, 2009 01:14 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm really pissed but my main priority is that she arrives safely on Monday so I can feed her some birthday cake that she missed on February 28th. She will have lots of help by my friends for releasing her car and getting all of her boxes in the garage - and getting her bed set up so she can make up for her lost sleep.

I got my office desk all cleared out so she can install her computer and stuff to resume her translation work for the Obama administration.

Once she has recovered, I want to take her to Dys and Diane's house, including Osso, so she meets them personally for the first time.

My Dolly and Maddy dogs are going to love her.

BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie

Sun 1 Mar, 2009 08:10 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Butrflynet called me at 6:30 pm Sunday from outside of Phoenix where she found a motel that met her truck-car towing needs. She is going to have a good night's sleep and head for Albuquerque Monday morning after a good breakfast at IHop.

BBB