Moving Advice Needed - U-haul trailer or moving company?

CalamityJane

Mon 2 Mar, 2009 11:23 pm
Yes she made it!! I am sure she'll get a good night sleep now!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Wed 4 Mar, 2009 08:52 am
As we were unloading the U-Haul truck yesterday, Dyslexia showed up at our house to greet Butrflynet. He managed quite well using a cane to steady his walk. Dys is already planning adventures for Butrflynet to show her the beauties of New Mexico.

Michael restored the Drive shaft to Butrflynet's car and unloaded all of her stuff into the garage. He put the towing dolly in the garage with all of her stuff. Will take a truckoad of my unwanted stuff to the Goodwill and to the dump. Today, Sal will finish filling the truck with clothing and other stuff to give to the Goodwill while we still have the truck until Thursday.

We got her bedroom set up. Next comes her computer gear.

I fixed, salmon, asparagras and carrots for dinner for Butrflynet. Topped it off with her birthday cake.

Butrflynet, Dolly and Madison have already fallen in love with each other.

Whew! We are tired and sore.

BBB

Rockhead

Wed 4 Mar, 2009 09:35 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
double-check the trans fluid level before driving much...

(glad she's safe and well)
BumbleBeeBoogie

Wed 4 Mar, 2009 09:38 am
@Rockhead,
Butrflynet asked Michael about that and is going to refill the transmission fluid today or tomorrow before she drives her car much. Thanks for the advice.

BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 09:37 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Butrflynet's brother helped her Thursday. Used the truck to make trips to the dump and to Goodwill. He reattached the dolly to the truck and they returned it to U-Haul.

Big surprise, I could squeeze my car in the garage. Butrflynet's car is in the driveway. She's not driving it until she gets her NM license and registration tag.

Trying to clear space for Butrflynet's kitchen stuff and equipment. Found shelves in the laundry room that can handle her kitchen equipment if I move the stuff into the garage. That means reducing my stuff in the garage to make room for her stuff. Depression babies never threw anything away so throwing things away is painful, but I'm doing it.

If only I could teach Dolly and Maddy doggies to return their toys to their toy bin after they've scattered them all over the house. Oh well?

BBB
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 02:22 pm
Am here and getting settled. Still have a lot to unpack and find places for.

When I get more settled I will catch up on everything on A2K and get back to my routine.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice along the way.
sozobe

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 03:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
Great to see you Butrflynet!

Looking forward to your account.
0 Replies

fortbort

Fri 17 May, 2019 09:30 am
There's pros and cons to both ways. It really comes down to how much work and time you want to invest yourself. There's a good moving website, a1autotransport.com, that has several articles on the benefits and drawbacks of each method. They've also got some good resources for researching moving companies if you decide to go that route.
cicerone imposter

Fri 17 May, 2019 10:17 am
@fortbort,
When we moved from CA to IL and back, we used movers, and was happy with the results. It was many decades ago, but I think it was Mayflower.
0 Replies