Okay, here's a map of what the AAA trip planner has given me.
I added in numbers and a legend in the lower left corner that lists the cities you've all recommended as part of the route. I have a few questions.
First, is there a relatively snow-free route that gets me to Blythe other than having to first go into the LA basin? I'm looking at that horizontal freeway up near Death Valley and wondering about that.
Second, they're recommending 99 most of the way south from Sacramento rather than 5. Which do you think is best? I haven't been on 99 in years and last time I was I think it was mostly two lane highway.
Third, may I send the TripKit pdf file for the route to MM, Dys, Osso to get your input on the specific directions and any recommended changes/shortcuts? I have email addresses for all three of you. It's 29 pages of instructions and local maps for each portion of the trip.
Osso, here's the directions given from Deming to Hatch. Is this what Dys gave you? I see that it nicely cuts the corner between the two highways. That's a good shortcut.
Deming, New Mexico to Hatch, New Mexico
Distance:47.9 miles (77.1km)
42. Start out heading NORTH on S GOLD AVENUE towards E PINE
STREET. Drive for a short distance.
43. Go STRAIGHT on N NM26.
Drive for 1.2 miles.
44. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto an access street. Drive for 0.2 miles.
45. Go STRAIGHT to get on NM26
heading EAST. Drive for 46.1 miles.
46. Keep LEFT to stay on NM26.
Drive for a short distance.
47. You have reached Hatch, New Mexico
Hatch, New Mexico to Albuquerque, New Mexico
Distance:185.0 miles (297.7km)
48. Start out heading NORTH on N FRANKLIN STREET towards E
DAVIS STREET. Drive for 1.2 miles.
49. Turn LEFT to get on I25
N towards ALBUQUERQUE. Drive for
50. Take exit number 224A towards LEADCOAL
AVE. / CENTRAL
AVE.. Drive for 0.2 miles.
51. Go STRAIGHT on OAK STREET SE. Drive for 0.3 miles.