Moving Advice Needed - U-haul trailer or moving company?

DrewDad

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 05:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
No, U-Haul truck, with a little trailer for towing your car. Easy-peasy.
ossobuco

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 05:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Just remembered - you may have thought of this already - save some of those cds for the car; radio programs vary.
Butrflynet

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 05:54 pm
@DrewDad,
Okay, check out my earlier post about that. I'll think about it, but I'm pretty convinced that I shouldn't attempt it.

http://able2know.org/topic/128570-2#post-3552661
Butrflynet

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 05:57 pm
@Butrflynet,
What I should do is hire Cyclops and wife to drive the truck to NM for me while I follow behind in my car. I know he wants to visit Dys and BBB.

You available the first week of March, Cyclo? :::bats eyes flirtaciously:::

Just kidding.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 05:59 pm
@ossobuco,
It will be cassette tapes. I haven't breached the technology barrier in my car yet. And yes, the box of music tapes will be up in the front seat with me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Agreeing with all MM said (natch).. especially about uselessness of cellphone for long stretches.

my motel in Blythe, which was near a Denny's...
with the Volvo. Don't immediately remember the name, but I liked it fine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/1-19-2006-12.jpg

rest stop photo..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/1-19-2006-17.jpg

ossobuco

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
I was most afraid of snow and 40, but you're going to be driving quite a few weeks after I did. AAA...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
The moving industry is populated
by some very, very ruff individuals; surprizingly so.

To the extent that u can avoid using them,
I think u shoud stay as far away from them as possible.

In the past, people 's experiences
( in addition to having some of their stuff lost )
have been of being extorted by some very belligerent thugs,
who raise their prices and have held some people 's stuff for ransom.

Maybe u coud get lucky, but too ofen those guys have been bad news.
roger

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Coupl'a buzzards hanging out on the no pets sign. Cool.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I've always used the same local office of a national moving company, both when I was responsible for moving arrangements for company offices as well as for personal moves. Used that same company for BBB's move to NM a few years ago.

They are one of the ones coming to give an estimate. I trust them, have never had any problems with them. Unless their estimate is outragious or they aren't available, they'll be my first choice.

But, you are right about the moving industry in general. I'll be sticking with well known national companies for that very reason.

My mom and dad met while working together at a moving company and my dad supported himself in his early retirement years by doing moving estimates for this same national company. In fact, that's how he met his second wife. He did a moving estimate for her and it was love at first sight. They got married about a year later and he moved to her state.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Love the No Pets sign with the two large parakeets sitting on top. Was the sign meant for them or us? Wink
ossobuco

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:29 pm
@Butrflynet,
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=05016
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32089-d76137-Reviews-Best_Western_Sahara_Motel-Blythe_California.html

Now I remember - they had no fee for Pacco. Just looked it up - I didn't pay any eighty dollars, but I don't remember what it was.

That does remind me - there are booklets you find in coffeeshops that have coupons for motel chains...
ossobuco

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:45 pm
@Butrflynet,
I loved that sign/birds too... still do. I think they're mourning doves.

Note the sign about poisonous snakes. Aaaak. But no apparent snakes.

I walked the Pacc in the parking lot anyway, despite the sign - where else should he pee?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:58 pm
only comment. take the .I-10 and the Hatch NM shortcut.
Butrflynet

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:13 pm
Okay, here's a map of what the AAA trip planner has given me.
I added in numbers and a legend in the lower left corner that lists the cities you've all recommended as part of the route. I have a few questions.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_z2t3-2ANqrg/SX-rsXpM0jI/AAAAAAAAAxw/HlH7tNtrCno/s800/Map%20CA2NM%20route.jpg

First, is there a relatively snow-free route that gets me to Blythe other than having to first go into the LA basin? I'm looking at that horizontal freeway up near Death Valley and wondering about that.

Second, they're recommending 99 most of the way south from Sacramento rather than 5. Which do you think is best? I haven't been on 99 in years and last time I was I think it was mostly two lane highway.

Third, may I send the TripKit pdf file for the route to MM, Dys, Osso to get your input on the specific directions and any recommended changes/shortcuts? I have email addresses for all three of you. It's 29 pages of instructions and local maps for each portion of the trip.

Osso, here's the directions given from Deming to Hatch. Is this what Dys gave you? I see that it nicely cuts the corner between the two highways. That's a good shortcut.

Quote:
Deming, New Mexico to Hatch, New Mexico
Distance:47.9 miles (77.1km)
42. Start out heading NORTH on S GOLD AVENUE towards E PINE
STREET. Drive for a short distance.
43. Go STRAIGHT on N NM26.
Drive for 1.2 miles.
44. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto an access street. Drive for 0.2 miles.
45. Go STRAIGHT to get on NM26
heading EAST. Drive for 46.1 miles.
46. Keep LEFT to stay on NM26.
Drive for a short distance.
47. You have reached Hatch, New Mexico
Hatch, New Mexico to Albuquerque, New Mexico
Distance:185.0 miles (297.7km)
48. Start out heading NORTH on N FRANKLIN STREET towards E
DAVIS STREET. Drive for 1.2 miles.
49. Turn LEFT to get on I25
N towards ALBUQUERQUE. Drive for
182.7 miles.
50. Take exit number 224A towards LEADCOAL
AVE. / CENTRAL
AVE.. Drive for 0.2 miles.
51. Go STRAIGHT on OAK STREET SE. Drive for 0.3 miles.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Did you need to make reservations there, Osso, or did you pop in and find a vacancy?
Butrflynet

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:23 pm
@dyslexia,
Thanks, pops. Good to see you venturing out to the A2K wilderness.

Noticed on your no socks thread that you mentioned tomatoes. I want to plant a small veggie garden too. Maybe we can work out a deal. I'll do the digging for you and you can give me advice for NM weather and soil and then we can trade veggies with each other. Maybe we can get Osso in on it too. Between the three of us we could work it so none of us has to buy any produce if we each grow a few assigned veggies and trade them with each other.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
I popped in - notice mine is the only car at the time I photo'd, though more came later as I stopped early. Plus I think it was christmas day, or else the 24th.

The next day I stopped at the Red Lion as 10 came into Tucson - another place good for dogs, also quite the empty-ish place then, though I wasn't the only guest. That gave me a nice sane drive to Abq, just in time to just about beat the setting sun. I did stop at a truck stop cafe.. food wasn't so great, but I heard them advertising for a cook on the radio as I drove away - still, I liked the place. The name is probably on the Osso and Pacco to NM thread, I'll check it.

ossobuco

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:58 pm
@ossobuco,
On snow free - well, 5, I guess, though 5 had snow fairly recently.

5 to 46 to 101, 101 through the SF Valley? Still LA. Plus, what are the chances of snow on the grapevine?
Butrflynet

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Depends on the weather for late winter. If it is anything like it was in December, there's a strong possibility.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_11270367

Quote:
Snow-packed freeways reopened
From wire service reports
Posted: 12/19/2008 06:59:25 AM PST

Snow-packed freeways in the mountains of Los Angeles County reopened Thursday, bringing relief to thousands of stranded motorists, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Workers using bulldozers and snowplows removed tons of snow from the key freeway links in the Southland mountains.

The cold storm was responsible for at least one death in the predawn hours on the southbound Antelope Valley (14) Freeway in Newhall Pass, where a vehicle spun out on a patch of black ice, went off an onramp and into an embankment, where it rolled several times, the CHP reported.

An impatient motorist heading to Los Angeles repeatedly drove through barricades on the snow-closed southbound Golden State (5) Freeway at the southern Kern County town of Grapevine and hit a Caltrans worker, who suffered minor injuries. The driver was chased into Los Angeles County and arrested by CHP officers on suspicion of hit-and-run.

The snow emergency focus changed from freeways to residential streets and country roads in Lancaster, Palmdale and rural areas like Acton,

0 Replies