Exercise Goals for 2009

George

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 12:18 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
George, if this will work...make sure you google/youtube the correct single leg squat form...I'm not too familiar with it myself.

Yep. Did that. Found several variations (of course!). I tried single leg squats in
the exercise room at lunch. I'm going to have to be very careful with these as
my balance probably isn't as good as it should be.
maporsche

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 12:55 pm
@George,
You'll get better as your body gets more used to the exercises. I don't know if this fits your situation, but part of the reason I hate machines (and why they aren't recommended over free weights) is that they don't require that you use all the supporting/balancing muscles that you use when you do free weights. After a few weeks of doing these squats, your supporting muscles will understand what they're supposed to be doing and it will seem normal.
jespah

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 01:12 pm
@George,
You can squat against a wall, or with a stability ball between you and the wall. At least to get started. When I was heavier I pretty much had to do them that way, otherwise my knees really barked.
eoe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 01:57 pm
I think my knee trouble today was caused by squats and lunges with free weights 20 years ago. Just a word of caution...

I really had to push myself to workout this morning. Hubby and I were/are in the midst of a battle and my motivation is always affected. If I'm in a funky mood, working out is just additional punishment.

I worked out this morning anyway. Smile
George

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 03:41 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
You'll get better as your body gets more used to the exercises. ...

(Note correct use of ellipses.)
Yes, I agree. Today was not a good day to experiment with this. I did a
pretty fast run at noon yesterday and then did leg presses in the evening.
The quads needed a day off.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 03:41 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
You can squat against a wall, or with a stability ball between you and the wall. At least to get started. When I was heavier I pretty much had to do them that way, otherwise my knees really barked.

When my knees bark, I listen.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 03:43 pm
@eoe,
Quote:
I think my knee trouble today was caused by squats and lunges with free weights 20 years ago. Just a word of caution...

Lunges are scary.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 03:47 pm
OK, Coach M, next question.
Why squats and deadlift in the same session? It seems redundant to me.
eoe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 05:15 pm
I just bought a scale. The first in over 20 years.
maporsche

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 06:32 pm
@George,
It sort of is; which is why you only do 1 set of deadlifts instead of 3 like all the others. But it does target muscles slightly differently.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 11:47 pm
@maporsche,
ive been training my dog for weightpulling alot lately, she gained about 15 effing pounds, some of it muscle i believe but mostly fat..

i live 75% of the way across town from my dog, so ive decided to walk it with my dog., as they have raised the 24 hour bus passes to 4 dollars anyways.

ive been using these 10 pound barbells to sculpt my arms,
10 pounds, ten reps, 3 times.
i have 15 pounders waiting until these become obsolete.

and i have been running every night, i pretty much sprint until i cant go any further then jog around the block ten times. i had to ehem, run really fast a few weeks ago, and it like opened my lungs. i mean i wa slike ZOOOOOOMM but it made me realize i should use my unemployed time to really seriously progress myself physically.

i remember my lungs hurt so bad, but then they didnt hurt again after the second day of voluntary running.

25 crunches a night as well.

im also doing dips and squats. im not sure if im doing the dips right tho so im not pushing it.i need to post here every night to make sure i do it, once i stop for one night its over. im focused more on stamina right now and cardio as well.

hey jespah didnt u have a link to some youtube lady workout person?

if u could link it again or just to a very good youtube cardio video id appreciate it.

here goes night # 1 of able2know jogging progress.

10 laps around the block. 25 crunches. woot. brb ;D
jespah

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:58 am
@OGIONIK,
Abs:
Butt:
Upper Body:
Lower Body:
Need any more? Go to Youtube and look up Coach Nicole Sparkpeople. And, I don't get any profits from Youtube or Sparkpeople, of course.
OGIONIK

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:02 am
@jespah,
i gotta find a big balloon somewhere..

Razz
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:36 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
It sort of is; which is why you only do 1 set of deadlifts instead of 3 like all the others. But it does target muscles slightly differently.

Thanks, brother, that makes sense.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:14 pm
wow, it gets quite technical here Smile

eoe, what made you decide to buy a scale now?

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:19 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

When I first started, I walked 5 min and jogged 1 minute. Now I am up to 3 min. running

Today I actually ran 5 minutes and then walked 5 minutes and continued that
for 30 minutes. I never could run 5 minutes in one setting- well at least not
for the last 10 years. So, I am good! Very Happy Overdid it with weight training and
I will feel it tomorrow.....
maporsche

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:47 pm
@CalamityJane,
Good work CJ. Just 1 step at a time.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:51 pm
Yet another question, Coach M:
You specify 3-5 minutes between sets.
That seems like a long time.
sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
Go CJane!

I ran out of time today -- my own fault -- and ended up with only a 20-minute window. This is usually the day that I do continuous distance running. Instead of trying for two continuous miles at 5 mph, I tried to run one continuous mile at 5.5 mph. Didn't quite manage it (dang it) but slowed down for only short stretches (like a tenth of a mile at a time, only twice).
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:55 pm
@George,
Temps in the low teens outside. Cross-training time!
15 minutes on the Concept II rower and 15 on the stationary bike.

I'll be taking Clive to the gym tonight. We'll continue our current routine till the
end of this month, then I'll spring Coach M's program on him.

We are going to PUMP! you up.
0 Replies