Exercise Goals for 2009

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 08:22 pm
May I join you all?

I need to start exercising regularly and for 2009 I want to do some sort of
exercise every day. The operative word is "consistence", and I hope to write here on a daily basis about my activities - even if it's just falling down
the stairs Very Happy

Okay, yesterday, instead of taking the elevator I walked to my 6th floor office
(couldn't talk for 30 minutes afterwards) and today I went 30 min on the
treadmill and tomorrow I hope for the same, and some more....
Green Witch

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 08:31 pm
I want to see some before and after pictures. You can always crop the head if you're shy. I will trust you all not to use body doubles. I especially want to see the new Thomas (not that I have ever seen the current "old" Thomas).

I actually have an anti-exercise goal for the summer months. I am going to sit and read for at least one hour a day during the my gardening season. This does not apply in winter when I need to keep moving so I don't turn to middle age mush.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 08:51 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yes, join in, CJ...

I've a sporadic history over time, with a lot of armchair book time. The armchair and book is my natural place, except I (oh, wait, some kind of online comeon) most love very long beach walks.

But there aren't beaches here, just about no goals - in the urban sense, in this planet of temperature change.

I've some history of seven or eight mile walks through urban space. I've walked Rome days at a time, big miles, walked Lucca walls if not recently, at least within memory -- but the truth is I've stopped here in New Mexico. It is either too ******* hot or cold - for me.

So, I walked again today, 45 minutes. Later tweezes re lumbar stuff.

Doing a shoe research, as my air maxes have been supinated.

A) I need to get going.
B) I need to figure out hours that could work for me.

George

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 01:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
B) I need to figure out hours that could work for me.

This is always the big item for me.
Luckily, I can usually take some time in the middle of the day at work.
When I'm at home events tend to overtake me.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 01:08 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
I want to see some before and after pictures.

You first.
Green Witch

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 02:02 pm
@George,
I 'll look the same. Although I am thinking of changing my hair color.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 10:31 pm
@Green Witch,
What color are you thinking of, Greenie? I just changed to a dark red!

I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and 10 minutes with 5 lb. dumbbells -
hurraahh!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 11:12 pm
@George,
Um, that avatar of me that Mame posted and some of the pics from the Abq meeting are still me, now. I dipped down, but now I'm up about 4-5 pounds, back to or approaching that photo stage. Will have to fess up on the what are you eating thread.

Mostly I don't care, weight wise, right around here is good, relative to my whole life.

Now I want to eat both joyously (gurl needs to care about food) and with some sanity, though I'm not interested in abstemiousness (no knock re others, but for me).

I've always, always, done well with exercise - many ways and many reasons. But I was apparently born in a wing chair with my legs over the arms reading Dickens, and it takes a catapult to get me going.
I'm starting again, we'll see if it takes.
I'd be arrogantly hopeful, but for the weather considerations in this land.
We'll see.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 11:16 pm
@ossobuco,
It's a good sign I'm looking up running shoes. My Air maxes have underpronation clues.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 01:32 pm
So, did you get running shoes, osso?

Okay, I waked up to the 6th floor again yesterday, and today I was 3o minutes
on the treadmill and 15 min weight training.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 01:54 pm
@CalamityJane,
Nah, I ordered roses instead... (baaaad)
George

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:47 pm
I took two weeks off over Christmas. What with bad weather, lots of
commitments and general sloth, my jogging schedule went right into the
dumpster.

Now I'm back at the Widget Factory and I've actually run two days in a row!
(huzzah, huzzah)

The weather forecast for tomorrow is the dreeaded "Wintry Mix". Looks like
my string will end at two.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:47 pm
@ossobuco,
A-HEM
George

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:49 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Okay, I waked up to the 6th floor again yesterday, and today I was 3o minutes
on the treadmill and 15 min weight training.

What are you doing for weight training?
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 04:57 pm
@George,
George, we have something like this weight machine in our fitness room
and I use that.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31QF5B86H9L._AA280_.jpg

Key is to do every move very slow which almost kills me after 10 takes.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:36 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
What color are you thinking of, Greenie? I just changed to a dark red!

I went from Brown Sugar (very close to my real color) to Rich Auburn and I'm now thinking Chestnut blonde or Warm mocha. As I get older I go lighter. I have green eyes, but my skin is not fair enough to do the reds justice. I did some reds (often from henna) when I was in 20's and not in the sun very much.

http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/upload/dnl1.jpg

My exercise today mostly consisted of chasing my dog around our backwoods. She refused to drop some prized, decaying piece of wildlife. She is old and deaf, but she knew I wanted her to drop it. She is very good at eating on the run and I made the mistake of going after her - it makes her chew faster. She won on all counts. However, I was a little out of breath after the event.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:46 pm
@maporsche,
Dance class started again last night. The studio was closed for close to two weeks around the holidays. It was fantastic to be back for a number of reasons. The people, the music, the dancing, the technique. It was an hour and a half - I don't hurt today. That suggests that it might be time to go up a level for this class as well as Wednesday's. Abby worked us hard - and there was a lot of good technique work, but I think it's time. I'll decide on Friday (when I know how I felt on Thursday after tomorrow's class - clear as mud, eh?).

I think resting the dance muscles while keeping up the cardio by walking may be part of why last night went so well. Will mull.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:47 pm
@CalamityJane,
I like the staircase idea, CJane. I think I'll find out where the stairs are at this office (at the old place, the staircases were only unlocked in case of fire or fire drill).
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:51 pm
I have GOT to lose some pounds. My goal is 30. I've amped up my total body workout which I do 3 days a week plus today i started mall walking and did 1.5 miles. I intend to walk twice a week and work up to 5-plus miles per week. And for the first time ever, I'm keeping track of my diet and cutting back on everything that I know is bad for me. (except wine. Very Happy I gotta have something!) My target date is May. We'll see...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 06:29 pm
Green Witch, that's a nice color - I have a soft amber now, I guess. I also have
greenish eyes, and very fair skin, so I might get redder next time. That "red hot rhythm" looks soo good.

ehbeth, it really is a good workout going up stairs. Besides, I hate elevators
anyways and ours is so slow on top of it.

eoe, that's what I started out with - 3 x a week exercising, then 2 x, then 1 x....
and off the bandwagon I went. Now, I have started exercising daily and I want
to keep it up on a daily basis until it sticks with me *fingers crossed*