Is this muscle gaining plan any good?

Jones92

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 10:50 am
Hey, I've just started working out, and I've made myself a plan that I've been using for the past month or so. I'm using dumbbells mainly and I do an hour each day. Basically, my plan is like this:

Monday - Biceps: dumbbell curls. (do abs workout after 3 sets (100 bicycle crunches))
Tuesday - Forearms: dumbbell wrist curls. (do chest workout after 3 sets (30 press ups))
Wednesday - Triceps: dumbbell extensions and kickbacks. (do abs workout after 3 sets)
Thursday - Shoulders: lateral raises and shoulder presses. (do chest workout after 3 sets)
Friday - Lats/Trapezius: dumbbell rows and upright rows. (do abs workout after 3 sets)
Reset and start at Biceps again.

Is this a good idea? It has been working for me but I don't wanna do this and then realise it could've been a hell of a lot better later down the line. I'm not trying to become a meathead, I'm just skinny (60kg 5'11" (when I started)) and I want to put muscle on.

Is there any suggestions or advice anyone could give me? I'd really appreciate it, thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 4,592 • Replies: 6
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 01:45 pm
You're neglecting your lower body. Throw in some squats and calf raises.

Also, be careful with the rows. You could injure your back if you don't do them properly. Don't do unsupported rows. Bent over rows on a bench are safer.
Jones92

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 02:15 pm
@InfraBlue,
Yeah, I'm focusing more on upper body but I will start doing lower body. I did 6 weeks on the rowing machine (using it every day) prior to using dumbbells so I imagine that worked out my legs somewhat. As for rows, I'm currently doing them on a bench.

Also, can I just ask how long does it take to get results? Like I've said, I'm skinny, and I've read that it's harder for skinny people to gain muscle mass. I've started eating more now, I used to skip out breakfast and sometimes dinner on odd days, but I've stopped that. I've also effectively stopped drinking soda (I now drink water) and snacking.

I measured myself last month, and I was 58 pounds, I'm now 63 pounds. I'm hoping that's a good improvement in muscle mass, but I'm not sure. I should've took a picture in retrospect and compared myself that way. I imagine the change is so gradual I don't notice.

Thank you for the response.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 02:48 pm
@Jones92,
Jones92 wrote:

Yeah, I'm focusing more on upper body but I will start doing lower body. I did 6 weeks on the rowing machine (using it every day) prior to using dumbbells so I imagine that worked out my legs somewhat. As for rows, I'm currently doing them on a bench.

Also, can I just ask how long does it take to get results? Like I've said, I'm skinny, and I've read that it's harder for skinny people to gain muscle mass. I've started eating more now, I used to skip out breakfast and sometimes dinner on odd days, but I've stopped that. I've also effectively stopped drinking soda (I now drink water) and snacking.

I measured myself last month, and I was 58 pounds, I'm now 63 pounds. I'm hoping that's a good improvement in muscle mass, but I'm not sure. I should've took a picture in retrospect and compared myself that way. I imagine the change is so gradual I don't notice.

Thank you for the response.

That is skinny! I'm sure you mean 63 Kilos, not 63 pounds.

I would say, you shouldn't neglect rest days and ingesting proper amounts of protein. Snacking isn't a big deal when you are trying to gain weight, just try and eat healthy snacks - but a guy who is thin like isn't going to have a problem from TOO many calories or fat, that's for sure.

Remember that to build muscle, you have to be pushing yourself. So on the day where you do a bunch of curls, you ought to be doing some heavy ones and burning yourself out on 'em.

It takes 6 months to get noticeable results, in terms of looks. You should be feeling stronger pretty quickly. Keep it up!

Cycloptichorn
Jones92

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 03:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Haha, I always do that. Yeah, Kilos. Razz

I'm going to start replacing snacks with fruit, as opposed to stopping snacks completely. As of now, water helps me when I feel like a packet of crisps or whatever.

That's currently what I'm doing, and then in the time I'm resting my biceps (for example) I'll do some crunches, and then continue to do more. I reach muscle fatigue within the hour.

Yeah, I definitely feel stronger, and I have noticed some physical changes. I imagine that just comes with being skinny though, as I don't exactly have lots of fat covering the muscles. Thanks! Smile
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 03:10 pm
@Jones92,
Jones92 wrote:

Haha, I always do that. Yeah, Kilos. Razz

I'm going to start replacing snacks with fruit, as opposed to stopping snacks completely. As of now, water helps me when I feel like a packet of crisps or whatever.

That's currently what I'm doing, and then in the time I'm resting my biceps (for example) I'll do some crunches, and then continue to do more. I reach muscle fatigue within the hour.

Yeah, I definitely feel stronger, and I have noticed some physical changes. I imagine that just comes with being skinny though, as I don't exactly have lots of fat covering the muscles. Thanks! Smile

No worries man. I'm glad that it's already working out well for you.

I personally rarely lift weights - I go Rock Climbing instead, which sort of makes your body into the weight. And is hard-core, as well as a useful skill. A guy who is thin and tall like you seem to be could excel at it - I'm an inch taller than you (maybe 2) but weigh 50 pounds more. It would be better for me if that was about 30 pounds more Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 02:39 pm
I don't mean to be harsh, but this plan is terrible. First of all, you're starting off the week hitting biceps, forearms and triceps. Forearms don't really need to be isolated in the first place...biceps and triceps should be worked toward the end of the week, or after you've worked larger muscle groups.

You neglect the legs, chest, and back almost entirely. You need to begin with these larger muscle groups and then go on to arms. Do you want your entire body to remain skinny, but just with some extra bulk on your arms? I can't imagine why you would want this...even so, you won't build up the arms if you neglect chest and back exercises.
0 Replies