I Gotta Represent

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 04:28 pm
So, here's the deal.

I'm starting to think about running a 5K in December (I won't go if it's overly icy). It's on the 13th and takes place within The Somerville Vortex. It's called the Jingle Bell Run.

Well. I am not going to be jingling. Neither will I be wearing a Santa hat. But I was thinking, I should represent the Old Testament minority. Something fun. Something quirky.

I looked for dreidel barrettes online and no one seems to make them. Carrying a lit menorah (even an electric one) is impractical.

Hence I am open to your suggestions as to how I can represent, at least a little, that I just don't jingle that way. Of course I have to be able to run with whatever you come up with.

Oh and conversion is not an option.

Have at it!

djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 04:36 pm
http://images.partyamerica.com/images//products/en_us//detail/179527_dt.jpg
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 04:38 pm
@jespah,
Is a Kippah too religiously conservative for a woman to wear?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 05:49 pm
@djjd62,
What gorgeous lips!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 06:04 pm
@jespah,
How about a long, grey beard.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 06:27 pm
why not an iron on logo -
http://rlv.zcache.com/krw_star_of_david_shirt-p235952052948403287q6ly_400.jpg
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 07:28 pm
@shewolfnm,
CAn you find a costume of a giant Lattke? Dont be ridiculing your people with anything too traditionally religious.

. I can see a lattke running the race, a golden brown , dropping grease trails behind. With applesauce, gotta have applesauce
It will leave everyone with a smile and an appetite. AFter all, isnt that what Judaism is about?
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 08:05 pm
Get a plain sweatshirt. Put on the front:
WHAT'S A NICE JEWISH GIRL
DOING IN A RACE LIKE THIS?

and on the back:
JINGLE
SCHMINGLE
Tai Chi

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 08:31 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Get a plain sweatshirt. Put on the front:
WHAT'S A NICE JEWISH GIRL
DOING IN A RACE LIKE THIS?

and on the back:
JINGLE
SCHMINGLE

I like this idea! As for Farmerman's suggestion -- tuck a couple of piping hot latkes in your mittens to keep your hands warm Very Happy (You're running in December? Seriously?)
jespah

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 04:00 am
@Tai Chi,
OOh hot latkes in the mittens. Carbo loading during the race!

And I love the sweatshirt idea!! And the hat!! Hmmm percolating ideas ....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 04:37 am
Dreidel barrettes ? ! ? ! ?

There really is such a thing?

Oy . . .

. . . vay too silly . . .
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:58 am
@Setanta,
I had just been thinking, an Oy Vey sweatshirt, but then thought, nooooo.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:18 am
@djjd62,
I want this hat!
djjd62

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:28 am
@ehBeth,
http://www.partyamerica.com/product/shop+by+holiday/hanukkah/menorah+hat.do
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:48 am
Well, when you look at the words, "Jingle Bells" has no religious content, one way or the other. It's actually a satirical song--all the Somerville and Medford swells used to get dressed in their fanciest furs and their shiny sleighs, the SUVs of their day, and drive up and down Mystic Avenue on the Somerville-Medford line in the early 19th century, trying to out race and outdisplay each other, and someone wrote the song about that .( "Over the river and thru the woods, to grandmother's house we go" was written about sleighing across the Mystic River, just about a mile away, actually. Ho, ho, ho, weren't we wintry).

So you could create a sweatshirt with "Jingle Belle" on it and fit the nonreligious context perfectly. Or how about "Oy Sleigh".
Rockhead

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:52 am
I have been known to attend informal christmas gatherings and hand out little brown paper gift bags with hershey kisses inside.

they are of course labeled for the season...

reindeer poop
jespah

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:37 am
@Rockhead,
I imagine unwrapping them and leaving them by the door (and occasionally snarfing one) would bring forth a reaction similar to the Baby Ruth scene in Caddyshack.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 09:19 am
@MontereyJack,
How wonderful. Jingle bells has historical meaning for the vortex. Gotta love that!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 09:30 am
@MontereyJack,
I wish they'd put something about the connection of Jingle Bells and Somerville on their website (I followed links within the link to try to find something). It would really add something to the understanding of the song and the run.

Thanks for the information - it's sent me down some interesting thinking trails in the last minutes.
0 Replies