Exercise Goals for 2009

maporsche

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 01:39 pm
@JPB,
I typically run at home (about 25 miles north-west of my work).

I need to find an indoor pool somewhere JPB, do you have any ideas?
JPB

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 02:51 pm
@maporsche,
The old Multiplex was taken over by the Deerfield Park District. They have an indoor pool and full workout facilities. Non-resident membership rates are 25% higher than those listed here. It's right on Lake-Cook Rd near the DOV.
JPB

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 03:08 pm
@JPB,
The Buffalo Grove fitness center also has an indoor pool. They're on Milwaukee Ave just north of Deerfield Rd.

http://www.bgfitnesscenter.net/index.php#
jespah

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 07:04 am
@JPB,
Who saw this?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/sports/23marathon.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

I already posted a response on the diet website I go to -- if you don't mind I'll just plonk it here. Man, that article irked me big time.

Quote:
As for the idjits. Wellll

I have opinions about that.

There are people, many, many people, who do not feel good about themselves unless they can point out that somehow they are superior or elite or better than others. Hear them:

Oh, I've never been fat.
I would never let myself get that way.
I've always been an athlete.
I don't take time off.
I work hard every day, unlike some people.
I would never turn to "cheating" for weight loss, like surgery or drugs.
I do it the all-natural vegan macrobiotic low carb Scarsdale Diet watch the glycemic index way.
I only eat lettuce and oatmeal. For a snack, I have a raisin.

Etc. etc. etc.

They wanna feel that way, by putting me and my kind down? Try living my life for a moment. Go through your gifted lives with a thyroid that's been quitting for the last 2 decades. Do it with serious obesity on one side of your family, as in, in the '70s, before you saw a lot of seriously obese people, that was already my family's experience (and now the ones who are still alive are even larger). Try shopping at the fun stores where I've been, and do it on a budget, even though lousy quality clothes cost more because there's more fabric.

Or live the lives of some of the people here on {the diet website I go to}. Try cooking for picky people, or those with food allergies or other conditions and still stay within guidelines. Try getting in exercise when you're working 50 hour weeks every week. Try keeping a positive mental attitude when you've been out of work for God knows how long. Try exercising with arthritis, fibromylagia, or as a cancer survivor, or in a wheelchair.

Oh and do it with extra weights strapped on you, and not in an easy to carry place like your back, but where we've all carried it, places like the belly, the thighs and the keister, and throw off your center of gravity and your stride.

Try that, Mr. and Ms. Elite Runner Snob who will never get sick, never get fat, never get old, never lose their job, never have personal pain, never end their marriage, never suffer loss and never be bereaved. Wanna be elite? Then qualify for the Olympics, ya creampuffs. And stick your attitudes in your light carbon thin steel eco water bottles where the sun don't shine.
George

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 08:15 am
@jespah,
Quote:
And stick your attitudes in your light carbon thin steel eco water
bottles where the sun don't shine.

TELL'EM GIRL!!!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 09:03 am
Yes, sometimes you have to throw all the political correctness aside and tell
it like it is. Good for you, jespah!!
jespah

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 04:54 pm
@CalamityJane,
W00p, thank ya. It just really boiled my rapidly shrinking bum.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 08:42 am
Hi, everyone:
Jespah-- you should know that yesterday, at the start of the New York Road Runners Five Mile Marathon Warm-up, Mary Wittenberg, President of the NYRR, made a point to announce that "despite what you may have been reading, the NYRR is proud of every one of the people who finish the NYC ING Marathon no matter how long it takes them to do it." There was major applause.

I made the point the other day to some people by saying that it seemed to me to be a greater achievement to continuously run four and a half hours than it would be to run only two and half or three.

Might be a subject for a little research there as well.
=====
On the subject of cool-downs, my routine has a natural one. I run very fast for five miles through the park and then I reach Fifth Ave and a series of Walk/Don't Walk situations while attempting to get to 3rd Ave. In the past four years, I have achieved making all the lights and crossings uninterrupted exactly twice. (Yes. I keep track.) I used to let it get me upset, but now , instead of cursing the innocent gods and/or (o-this-is-stupid) darting across against the lights, I just slow down. Hmmmm. Problem solved. AND when I go down the stairs to the subway, I don't sweat all over the platform..

Joe( no drip dry)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 06:59 pm
Um. Here are my PRs for this yr. I still need a 10K and a 15K.
Oh, and there's a little stroll around the boroughs coming up on November 1

Distance Time Pace Event Date

5 km 28:59 9:20 NYRR 5K 3/01/2009
4 Mi 34:33 8:39 Japan Day 5/10/2009
5 Mi 43:20 8:40 Marathon Warm up 10/25/2009
1/2 Marathon 1:58:37 9:04 Staten Is 1/2 10/11/2009
18 Mi 2:59:44 10:00 18m Tune up 9/27/2009

Joe( my first 5 mile I averaged a 12:25)Nation
jespah

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 03:45 am
@Joe Nation,
I'm still in the 14 - 16 minute range for miles so I am tres envious. Smile
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 06:30 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
1/2 Marathon 1:58:37 9:04 Staten Is 1/2 10/11/2009

Joe, that's right where I hope to be in Seattle on 11/29.

My PR this year is 2:04:xx

Nice work!
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 07:17 am
@maporsche,
You'll get it. I just kept sneaking up on it. In August I did 2:10:19 which was about four minutes faster than the previous October's Half. Then, a month later, I did a 2:05:11 and I knew I had had plenty left at the end...so.... on Staten Island I really stuck to my splits, pushed up the hills and let the brakes off on the down-slopes. Wheee!
I've been working on letting my body know it's capable to going faster. (My inner self always wants to slog along) To wake it up, I do this:
I trot along at about ten minute pace for about a mile.
At the mile mark, I pick it up a little and at the quarter mile mark, I run as fast as I can without sprinting for a quarter of a mile. (Really cool to do this on track.)
then I trot along for a half mile.
At the next mile mark, I run as fast I can for a half mile, then trot for a half mile.
At the next, and last mile mark, I run as I can for the next whole mile. Push push push push push.
Then a long, slow cool-down.
No sprinting, just making the body go fast and strong.
So:
0-1.0 trot along.
1.0 -1.25 faster
1.25- 1.50 go go
1.5 - 2.0 trot along
2.0 -2.5 go go go
2.5 -3.0 trot along
3.0 - 4.0 go go go go go go
4.0 - 4.5 cool down.

You should feel whipped at the end, if not, do it again.
Joe(and don't listen to your inner slogger)Nation
maporsche

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 07:22 am
@Joe Nation,
Thanks Joe; I'll try it out tonight. I have 5 weeks to speed up. I've got the distance no problem, but it needs to be faster.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:58 am
Today is a difficult decision day.
I have to decide which of my too-big sweatshirts I will be leaving behind at the start of the race. I should take pictures and have a poll.
Joe(the green one is nearly in shreds, but it's just so comfy)Nation
George

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:01 am
@Joe Nation,
If the green one says "JETS", I vote for that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:04 am
@Joe Nation,
I say leave behind the one that's in the best shape - so that it's not even there as a fall-back option. Get rid of them best to worst - you might as well let the fellas who need a good giant sweatshirt have one.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:51 am
Hey.
If anyone wants to follow my progress, or lack thereof, during the marathon, go to this site and register.
I am runner 46410.
(I have it tattooed on my forehead.)

http://athletealert.ingnycmarathon.org/Alerts.aspx

Joe(it will help knowing that you are watching.)Nation
George

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:58 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
If anyone wants to follow my progress, or lack thereof, during the marathon,
go to this site and register.

I am registered and prepared to be astounded.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 09:18 am
I'm registered too. Good luck!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 09:45 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Hey.
If anyone wants to follow my progress, or lack thereof, during the marathon, go to this site and register.
I am runner 46410.
(I have it tattooed on my forehead.)

http://athletealert.ingnycmarathon.org/Alerts.aspx

Joe(it will help knowing that you are watching.)Nation

Every breath you take
every move you make
every step you take
every toilet you snake,
I'll be watching you.

Or, something like that.
0 Replies