Exercise Goals for 2009

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 06:12 am
@George,
I used to hit the wall at the 300-meter mark of the 400-meter dash... twenty-one MILES kinda boggles the mind.

Great job, Joe!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 07:52 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs014.snc3/12139_1175134095737_1149611605_30468520_1010260_s.jpg

I'll have a reel of those stamps!
Way to go!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 01:17 pm

congrats joe!

that dang wall has been popping up more and more frequently for me this year.
never even knew it existing until ~8-9 years ago...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 01:35 pm
@Joe Nation,
Ah, two years ago when you ran this and reported, I ended up crying some at the end of the report. I missed following your notes in the last few days and just caught up now - and sure enough, a few tears, and you haven't written up the long report yet. I better have a kleenix box ready.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 11:27 pm
Was pretty dead today. Writing in the morning.
Joe(ZZzzzZZzzz)Nation
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 03:10 pm

this dude walked a marathon -- around the block...

Block-a-Thon
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/10/30/nyregion/01mara_span_ready/articleLarge.jpg
WALK THIS WAY Andy Newman with his dog, Barnaby, on Warren Street in Park Slope, Brooklyn.
Quote:
On Sunday morning, 40,000 people will run, walk and wheel their way 26.2 miles through New York’s five boroughs in a whirlwind tour of the city at its most festive. My personal marathon, restricted to the long rectangle created by Baltic and Warren Streets and Fourth and Fifth Avenues in Park Slope, Brooklyn, offered something more subtle: a glimpse at a day in the life of my neighborhood.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/01/nyregion/01marathon.html?_r=1
jespah

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 05:56 am
@Region Philbis,
Another 5K today, starting in a lil over 3 hours.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 07:37 am
@jespah,

should be low 50's, bright sunshine when they fire the starting pistol.
and by "pistol", i mean the voice that comes thru the bull-horn...

R(today is world running day, apparently)P
jespah

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 12:07 pm
@Region Philbis,
'Twas a fab race. I have a new personal record: 38:12. First one of these I ran took me 01:04:04. So I've improved by 25:52, AKA about 39%. In something like 6 months. Woof.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:56 am
Woof woof woof!!!
Joe(gogogogogogo)Nation
mac11

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 09:28 am
WOW! Good job!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 09:45 am
Awriiiiiight, Jes!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 10:02 am
Great accomplishment, guys (and gals)! a2k has officially more runners than
couch potatoes, I guess.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 12:47 pm
@Joe Nation,
Hey, Joe, where you going with.. no, no, I mean, did you ever write a marathon report?
osso(I was away, walking the beach in California)buco
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 03:34 pm
I haven't seen an exercise goals for 2010 thread so I'll plunk this here.

A friend invited me to join her at her health club to check out their 100-degree therapeutic pool. It's almost hot tub warm (not quite, but warmer than a heated pool) and supposedly terrific therapy to walk, sit on a noodle and pedal as in biking, lay on a noodle and stretch your back, etc. We walked the track for a half-hour, or so (until my knees started screaming) and then I went into the warm water pool to try to work the kinks out. I feel great! Better than I've felt in ages. I may have to switch health clubs. They've got a special $90 for 90 day program going right now. That would take me through winter....

In the meantime, I've been going to my regular health club three times/week for the past couple weeks. I'm out of the house now on a temporary gig and I've been stopping at the gym on my way home a couple days per week. Mr B and I go together every Saturday morning. I'm thinking I may take advantage of the 90 day offer at the bigger place and bring Mr B with me a couple times as a guest to see if he'd like to switch.

Our other club is tiny, cheap, very close by, and convenient. The other one is about 10 minutes away but they've got better weekend hours, which is when we go together, and better facilities/options. It's one of those trendy, park your kids in the day-care and spend the day at the spa type places, which is the opposite of what we'd normally want but the warm water therapy pool might be just the ticket to my mobility problems.

For $1/day, I think I may have to give it a try.

My friend bought me lunch at the full service cafe after our workout - NOT my normal cup of tea. I don't do foo-foo. Oh, and there's an internet center, yoga facility, full pilates gym, multiple "studio" rooms for classes or personal workouts, massage center... all the things we enjoy not having to pay for at our low-brow club.

But that pool was mighty wonderful...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:48 pm
The 100 degree pool sounds lovely. When I was taking water aerobics at the Y, they kept the (outdoor) pool at 80 in the winter. Heated, but not exactly warm.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 06:49 am
Okay.
Where IS that Exercise Goals for 2010 Thread?

Joe(I shall go start one.)Nation
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 09:08 am
@mac11,
No back pain! I woke up this morning without back pain. I'd forgotten what it means to wake up without my back reminding me that it gets first dibs on my daily thought process.

I give my back a daily rating from 0 - 10 as part of my morning journal entry. 0-1 is no pain & impact on daily living, 2-3 is pain but no impact on daily living, 4-5 is moderate pain, some physical limitations, etc. up to 9-10 which means you can't get out of bed. These are levels defined by my chiro and we use them to track how often I make my appts. I generally fluctuate between a 3 and a 6. Today, I was a 0. I've been doing this for 2 years. I've never been a 0.

I have a chiro appt this morning. I'm going to have him sign the necessary forms for enrolling in the warm-water therapy sessions.
sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 09:19 am
@JPB,
That's wonderful!
JPB

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 09:29 am
@sozobe,
Thanks -- I agree!!!

Here's a blurb about warm water therapy pulled from About.com.

Quote:
Water can be used as a therapy to wash away tensions and soothe your body after working hard. Water therapy is used to treat muscle aches and pains. Water therapy helps in the treatment of arthritis and other debilitating conditions.

There are three important components of using water as a therapy to decrease pain and re-habilitate, they are buoyancy, resistance, and drag and turbulence.

Buoyancy is defined as the upward thrust your body receives in the water which is the opposite of the downward thrust the body experiences on land due to gravity. Due to buoyancy, body weight is decreased by 90% when in the water. With this buoyancy the force of compression on the joints is decreased dramatically, making it possible to reach full range of motion. The water acts like a natural support for all the limbs easing the pressure on joints even further. All of this means that it is possible to move and exercise in water with little risk of injury.

Resistance is defined as a force that works against the muscle making it work harder. Water is denser than air and increases the resistance on the muscles by 12. It is possible to build greater strength in the water than on land due to the resistance factor and the lack of land gravity.

Drag & turbulence are broken down into two factors, but they both work together to benefit the body. Drag creates opposition to the movements of the limbs in the water. Turbulence is the agitation of the surrounding water that can be created in the water that can be used as a hydromassage effect.

Water therapy uses the elements of stretching, exercise and massage to reach its goals. When the water is kept at or above 86 degrees the muscles loosen and become less tense. It is possible to increase the stretch and lengthen loose muscles that could never be achieved on land. You should always do a warm up of all joints by water walking, jogging or swimming laps for 7 minutes before doing any deep stretching. It is even more effective to do another set of aerobic exercise in the pool for about 20 minutes and then do an even deeper stretch. Once the body is warmed up the range of motion can be increased on a limb or part of the body that needs rehabilitation.

More and more people are recognizing the benefits of warm water in the massage realm. Massage therapists can conduct a massage in a warm hot tub and really do wonders for tense muscles.

Water therapy is usually done to rehabilitate a specific area of the body that has been injured or is causing pain due to a condition. Some conditions that water therapy can help with are fibromyalgia, stroke recovery, head injuries, spinal cord injury, Chronic Pain Syndrome, arthritis, neck injuries, rehabilitation after surgery, sports injuries and more. But even if you are pain free and healthy you can benefit from the soothing effects of water therapy.

0 Replies