oralloy

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 04:01 am
Barak Obama's long record of trying to violate our Second Amendment rights:

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_obama.html

farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 04:10 am
@oralloy,
Did you even read what youve posted?. Im a gun owner and Id endorse most of the same proposals.
oralloy

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 04:18 am
@farmerman,
"farmerman" wrote:
Did you even read what youve posted?

Yes. Obama has a long record of trying to violate the Second Amendment.

"farmerman" wrote:
Im a gun owner and Id endorse most of the same proposals.

Which ones?

Pretty much every proposal listed is intended to violate people's right to have self-defense type guns.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 04:46 am
@farmerman,
Gosh, I'm a gun owner too, and I wouldn't endorse any of those.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 05:26 am
I dont see how gun registration and FOIDs violate the 2nd amendment at all.
After all, it starts with a "well regulated militia", if the militia is well "regulated", the very word implies DCONTROL, no?

As far as owning scary looking weapons. IF a weapon ha the ability to be modified into a rapid fire full auto, then it should be specially regulated just like machine guns are now.

A concealed carry permit should have several limits to it and an ability to enforce.

Other points that arent mentioned in the article are a functional lim it to the number of guns that an individual can purchase in a specific time cycle, or if weapons are stolen or lost, there should be an enforced requirenment to report them .

The chaotic laws that result in NO CONTROL at all todasy, need to be modified . None of these modifications that Ive seen so far have any bearing on the second amendment except by the courts embracing of fear mongering by the NRA and its puppet master, the gun manufacturers.

Clear Enough?
I know that rabid gun nuts want all the permutations of the second amendment available to them alone. I think that the second amendment isnt a license to own and brandish all sorts of wepons. We have to start somewhere .

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 05:30 am
@farmerman,
U know, Farmer, I don 't claim to be a mindreader,
but sometimes a man, or even an animal,
makes it pretty dam obvious what he has in mind.

I am 100% confident that, if he had the chance,
Obama woud be as catastrophic for gun owners' rights
as he possibly coud.
That is not racial; its the liberal collectivist mindset.
Contrast Condi Rice; she is eagerly on the side of freedom
of gun possession.

David
rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 05:40 am
I thought Obama SUPPORTED the most recent decision by the Supreme Court related to gun control. It appears to me that he wants reasonable controls, not bans.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:13 am
@oralloy,
Barak Obama does not want your gun(s), he wants your vote.
cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:16 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Did you even read what youve posted?. Im a gun owner and Id endorse most of the same proposals.

The fact that you are sleeping with Ray Schoenke is well documented here fman.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:17 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I thought Obama SUPPORTED the most recent decision by the Supreme Court related to gun control. It appears to me that he wants reasonable controls, not bans.

Apparently you don't care to know what the decision actually was. It had nothing to do with "gun control" and everything to do with a nice tight grouping.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:36 am
@farmerman,
"farmerman" wrote:
As far as owning scary looking weapons. IF a weapon ha the ability to be modified into a rapid fire full auto, then it should be specially regulated just like machine guns are now.

Obama wants to ban "assault weapons" even if they couldn't be made full auto.

"farmerman" wrote:
A concealed carry permit should have several limits to it and an ability to enforce.

Obama wants an outright federal prohibition of all concealed carry (even if a state government wants to allow it) for everyone who isn't a police officer (or retired police officer).

"farmerman" wrote:
Other points that arent mentioned in the article are a functional lim it to the number of guns that an individual can purchase in a specific time cycle, or if weapons are stolen or lost, there should be an enforced requirenment to report them .

"One gun a month" is mentioned in the FOID paragraph.

What if someone wants to buy or sell a collection of guns that go together because of historic reasons? Does the collection have to be split up?

What about when the anti-gunners try to add time to that month until it becomes one gun a year, and then when they begin to add years to the wait?

Eventually we'll be stuck with one gun every 10 years (with a one year background check period).
cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:39 am
@oralloy,
Republican Party on Gun Control
Party Platform

Open more public land to hunting
Republicans and President Bush strongly support an individual right to own guns, which is explicitly protected by the Constitution's Second Amendment. Our Party honors the great American tradition of hunting and we applaud efforts by the Bush Administration to make more public lands available to hunters, to increase access to hunting clinics and safety programs for children and adults, and to improve opportunities for hunting for Americans with disabilities.
Source: 2004 Republican Party Platform, p. 74 Sep 1, 2004

No frivolous gun lawsuits, no gun licensing
We believe the 2nd Amendment and all the rights guaranteed by it should enable law-abiding citizens throughout the country to own firearms in their homes for self-defense. We applaud those seeking to stop frivolous lawsuits against firearms manufacturers which is a transparent attempt to deprive citizens of their 2nd Amendment rights. We oppose federal licensing of lawabiding gun owners & national gun registration as a violation of the 2nd Amendment and an invasion of privacy of honest citizens.
Source: 2004 Republican Party Platform, p. 74 Sep 1, 2004

Will protect right to bear arms
We defend the constitutional right to bear arms. We oppose federal licensing of law-abiding gun owners and national gun registration as a violation of the Second Amendment and an invasion of privacy of honest citizens. Through programs like Project Exile, we will hold criminals individually accountable for their actions by strong enforcement of federal and state firearm laws, especially when guns are used in violent or drug-related crimes.
oralloy

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:40 am
@rosborne979,
"rosborne979" wrote:
I thought Obama SUPPORTED the most recent decision by the Supreme Court related to gun control.

Obama's long anti-gun record shows otherwise.

"rosborne979" wrote:
It appears to me that he wants reasonable controls, not bans.

Why does Obama always try to ban self-defense guns then?
cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:41 am
@cjhsa,
Democratic Party on Gun Control
Party Platform

Reauthorize assault weapons ban, close gun show loophole
We will protect Americans' Second Amendment right to own firearms, and we will keep guns out of the hands of criminals and terrorists by fighting gun crime, reauthorizing the assault weapons ban, and closing the gun show loophole, as President Bush proposed and failed to do.
Source: The Democratic Platform for America, p.18 Jul 10, 2004

Strengthen gun control to reduce violence
Democrats passed the Brady Law and the Assault Weapons Ban. We increased federal, state, and local gun crime prosecution by 22 percent since 1992. Now gun crime is down by 35 percent. Now we must do even more. We need mandatory child safety locks. We should require a photo license I.D., a background check, and a gun safety test to buy a new handgun. We support more federal gun prosecutors and giving states and communities another 10,000 prosecutors to fight gun crime.
cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:42 am
@cjhsa,
U-M study: Gun shows don't increase homicide, suicide rates
Doug Guthrie / The Detroit News
ANN ARBOR -- Gun shows don't contribute to increased homicide or suicide rates, according to results of a study announced Wednesday by the University of Michigan's Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy.

The joint University of Michigan and University of Maryland examination of gun death data in the weeks surrounding more than 3,400 California and Texas gun shows concluded tighter regulation of the flea market-like operations did nothing to reduce firearms-related deaths in the following month.

Researchers compared gunshot death data surrounding every known gun show in California and Texas between 1994 and 2004. California has some of the most stringent gun sale rules in the country. Texas is among the least restrictive.

Advertisement
"To the extent that 33 regulations such as those in place in California reduce any deleterious effects of gun shows, one might expect to detect a larger effect in a relatively unregulated state such as Texas. Our results, however, provide no evidence to suggest that gun shows lead to a substantial increase in the number of homicides or suicides in either California or Texas," said U-M professor Brian Jacob, head of the Ford School's Center for Local, State, and Urban Policy.

Like Michigan, California requires background checks for all gun buyers and a multiday waiting period to obtain the firearm. The wait in Michigan is three days and 10 days in California. Texas has no similar regulations.

"I'm not surprised they found those results. I'm surprised it took so long for someone to actually do the study," said Mike Thiede, spokesman for Michigan Gun Owners, a 3,700-member Dearborn Heights gun rights and gun education advocacy group.

The data came from within 25 miles of the shows. Of more than 105,000 homicides and suicides reported in the two states during the 11-year period, 61 percent were gun-related. Using ZIP codes, trends before and after the shows were examined. Researchers say gun-related homicides in the weeks immediately after gun shows in Texas declined slightly.

"That claim about increased homicides and suicides is something that we hear mostly from the East and West coasts. Here in the Midwest, people know better," Thiede said.

Gun control advocates believe the study is flawed.

"My main concern about this study is what it appears to be measuring is pretty narrow," said former Fort Wayne, Ind., Mayor Paul Helmke, now president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence in Washington, D.C. "When I've talked to California law enforcement, they are happy with how their regulations work. But they see guns coming from Nevada and Arizona. We have a very fluid market, and the gun shows are a part of that. This study answers an interesting question, just not the crucial question."

In the report Jacob co-wrote with Mark Duggan and Randi Hjalmarsson of the University of Maryland, he said, "We believe that this analysis makes an important contribution to understanding the influence of gun shows, the regulation of which is arguably the most active area of federal, state, and local firearms policy. To our knowledge, this is the first study that directly examines the impact of gun shows on gun-related deaths."

In the paper, Jacob wrote about gun control advocate complaints about "the gun show loophole" that exists in many states that makes it easier for potential criminals to obtain a gun. Gun shows may also affect suicide rates by making it easier to get a gun.

Helmke said unlicensed sales regularly take place at gun shows between private parties who meet at the events.

"The shows allow a private seller to have a floating place of business, to go to gun shows and stay in business without advertising," Helmke said. It's a venue of people who are in the business but don't meet the requirements and that makes it easier for dangerous people to get dangerous weapons."

Sport Shows Promotions Inc. of Mason has scheduled 27 gun and knife shows throughout Michigan this year. Events this month are set for Kalamazoo, Cadillac and Grand Rapids and Oct. 11-12 at the Michigan State Fairgrounds in Detroit. The Gibraltar Trade Center will host a show the same weekend in Taylor and another Oct. 17-19 at its Mount Clemens location.

"The AFT comes into our shows and monitors us all the time," said Doug Carl, head of Sport Show Promotions. "It's against the law in Michigan for private parties to sell to each other without the same FBI background check and proper permits as the commercial sales. That's where other states drop the ball, I think. I'm not opposed to being safe."

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:47 am
@Cliff Hanger,
"Cliff Hanger" wrote:
Barak Obama does not want your gun(s), he wants your vote.

Obama has a long record of trying to ban guns appropriate for self-defense.

I'm sure if all you have is a double-barreled shotgun he would be content to let you keep it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:50 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Why does Obama always try to ban self-defense guns then?

Can you provide a link to the actual legislation for this. I want to read it.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:57 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I dont see how gun registration and FOIDs violate the 2nd amendment at all....

Then let me explain it. According to pretty much everything you see in writing from the time the constitution was signed, the 2'nd amendment is mainly meant to serve as a final bulwark against the possibility of government(s) going out of control, i.e. to provide the people with some last measure of safety FROM government(s). That is obviously not compatible with the idea of those very governments having any power to regulate or license firearms. That would be like foxes having power to regulate the way chicken coops are constructed.
maporsche

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 07:03 am
@farmerman,
I have a problem with the FOID concept, for the same reasons I have a problem with gun registration.

I DO have a problem with gun registration. Having to register my weapons with the STATE or FEDS is a violation of my privacy. Hell part of the reason I own my guns in so I can defend myself FROM the state if need be.

A pistol can be modified to a "rapid fire full auto" with a file in most cases. Should we regulate pistols like a machine gun too? And by the way, we do regulate this; we have these LAWS that we enforce when we someone breaking them. That is all the regulation we need in this area.

If you can buy a gun, you should be allowed to carry concealed. That is all the regulation needed here.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 07:04 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Then let me explain it. According to pretty much everything you see in writing from the time the constitution was signed, the 2'nd amendment is mainly meant to serve as a final bulwark against the possibility of government(s) going out of control, i.e. to provide the people with some last measure of safety FROM government(s). That is obviously not compatible with the idea of those very governments having any power to regulate or license firearms. That would be like foxes having power to regulate the way chicken coops are constructed.

And yet some level of regulation must exist. You can't have insane people running around with guns, any more than you can allow 4 year olds to have them. The real question is where you draw the line. Having no regulation is as bad as having complete regulation. I need to see the specific legislation you guys are complaining about to know if it crosses the line or not.