oralloy

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:57 am
@gungasnake,
"gungasnake" wrote:
And if you're lucky Oinkbama and Oinkdinga and their slammite legions will let you keep your tallywhacker when they come for the two pistols...

It would be nice if the Democrats would once in a while nominate someone who supports the Second Amendment -- just for variety if nothing else.

If it wasn't for his gun-banning crusade, and his stealing my vote in the Michigan primary, I'd more than likely vote for Obama. But.....
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 12:02 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

It would be nice if the Democrats would once in a while nominate
someone who supports the Second Amendment

OK, if thay nominate Representative John Dingell, I 'll vote for HIM.

David
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 01:16 pm
@oralloy,
I stand by my remark calling your interpretation of reality a demented fantasy. No one besides a soldier would call semi-automatic assault weapons firearms for self defense. You are living in a dark, paranoid place, or a cave in Afghanistan to think that you, and I do mean you particularly, if you expect to be forced to defend to yourself with an M15 or Kalishnikoff rifle. There are a lot of crazy people in the world and I've met quite a few in my time, but I don't know anyone besides you who think that they need a semi-auto assault weapon designed for modern, ground warfare to protect themselves. You must be a member of the Taliban to think you do.

As to hassling law abiding citizens, Michigan hassles a man enough without any interference from Obama by demanding that one needs to pass a written test to obtain a simple handgun for defensive purposes.

And it you who is squalking like a child when I pointed out that your bombast is without any objective support based in reality.
oralloy

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 06:20 pm
@kuvasz,
"kuvasz" wrote:
I stand by my remark calling your interpretation of reality a demented fantasy.

That's because you hate our freedom.

"kuvasz" wrote:
No one besides a soldier would call semi-automatic assault weapons firearms for self defense.

No, anyone who has a real understanding of guns calls them that.

"kuvasz" wrote:
You are living in a dark, paranoid place, or a cave in Afghanistan to think that you, and I do mean you particularly, if you expect to be forced to defend to yourself with an M15 or Kalishnikoff rifle.

Nope. They are good for self-defense no matter where you are.

"kuvasz" wrote:
There are a lot of crazy people in the world and I've met quite a few in my time, but I don't know anyone besides you who think that they need a semi-auto assault weapon designed for modern, ground warfare to protect themselves.

You quite clearly have no comprehension as to what these guns really are. People like you, who form irrational opinions based on a total lack of knowledge, are dangerous to American freedom.

"kuvasz" wrote:
You must be a member of the Taliban to think you do.

Nope. This "ban things we don't comprehend" mindset makes you the Taliban lookalike.

"kuvasz" wrote:
As to hassling law abiding citizens, Michigan hassles a man enough without any interference from Obama by demanding that one needs to pass a written test to obtain a simple handgun for defensive purposes.

Interesting excuse for Obama stealing our primary. No sale.

"kuvasz" wrote:
And it you who is squalking like a child when I pointed out that your bombast is without any objective support based in reality.

Liar. Hypocrite.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 06:37 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
"kuvasz" wrote:
No one besides a soldier
would call semi-automatic assault weapons firearms for self defense.

What a stupid thing to say.
I had an M-1 Carbine as my primary home defense weapon
for many years.

gungasnake

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 06:39 pm
@kuvasz,
Quote:
No one besides a soldier would call semi-automatic assault weapons firearms for self defense....

Depends on what you needed to defend yourself against. Somehow or other I get the impression that if Raila Oinkdinga and his tribe were coming to chop me up with machetes or burn my church, the FAL rifle would come in sort of handy.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 06:44 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:

Depends on what you needed to defend yourself against.
Somehow or other I get the impression that if Raila Oinkdinga
and his tribe were coming to chop me up with machetes or
burn my church, the FAL rifle would come in sort of handy.

I favored my M-1 Carbine because it was a shortrange weapon,
loaded with softpointed slugs, for expansion, easy recoil,
with a 30 round magazine. No problem
gungasnake

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 06:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Funny thing, there are two basic definitions of an "assault rifle(TM)", i.e. a functional definition and a political definition. The two are quite different. That little lever action Henry rifle in 22WMR comes very close to an ideal for the functional definition. The political definition means anything which, on a scale of one to ten for looking scary to demoKKKrats, rises much above an eight or thereabouts. Something like this for instance:

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/smith/fal/galleryfal/fal11.jpg

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 06:52 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I had an M-1 Carbine as my primary home defense weapon for many years.

Speaking of stupid.

Well actually, it might have to take second place. Gunga's reply to Kuvasz, just prior to David's posting, is the dumbest thing I've ever heard or read!

How many robbers have you offed over the years, David?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 07:41 pm
@JTT,
Quote:

None at all, JTT, nor did I ever wish to injure anyone.
Possession of the means to control a predatory emergency
engendered serenity, for me. Hence, the results were ideal.

My biografical history is that at age 8,
I was alone at home a lot (in a crime-free neighborhood)
in Arizona. For no objective reason, I felt ill-at-ease,
as to how I 'd defend my home, if the need to do so ever arose.
(It never did.) I won a .38 revolver in a poker game.
The loser used it to cover part of a raise.
I thereafter had peace-of-mind, qua my personal safety.
That was the beginning of my gun collection.

David
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 09:02 pm
@JTT,
"JTT" wrote:
"OmSigDAVID" wrote:
I had an M-1 Carbine as my primary home defense weapon for many years.

Speaking of stupid.

Well actually, it might have to take second place. Gunga's reply to Kuvasz, just prior to David's posting, is the dumbest thing I've ever heard or read!

Nothing stupid about having a gun designed for self defense.

Nor is there anything stupid about voting against Obama because he wants to ban guns designed for self defense.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:27 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Nor is there anything stupid about voting against Obama
because he wants to ban guns designed for self defense.

He hopes that the criminals of America
will form a significant proportion of his constituency.
How many of them woud he appoint to office ?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 12:39 pm
Well, well, well. The local reichtards seem to think that semi auto rifles are generally used for protection from home invasions? (but the 7.62mm/308 caliber M15 shell, or 5.45mm Kalashnikov bullet are not designed for killing but wounding, thereby forcing the opposition to carry its wounded and slowing down accomplishment of the mission), so instead of using weapons to kill you are talking about weapons meant to wound, which would be actually counter to your defense. Will you knuckleheads ever get serious? These semi automatic weapons are not suitable for protection against home invasions, except in AFGHANISTAN. They are designed for ground combat in a military situation. But you guys still live in your teenage Red Dawn fantasy days thinking that you are potential heroes who will wipe out a platoon of bad guys because you dream of the day when you are some sort of Omegamen defending yourselves from virus stricken mutants. Most adults leave childhood fantasies behind when they reach puberty. But, not you folks.

I would rather use a shotgun with a tight choke than an M15 if someone invaded my house. You would likely do more damage to someone in such close quarters, without the risk of having a rifle shot fly hundreds of yards through the neighborhood after it blew through your living room wall. Which would be the entire point, would it not?

But, what is amazing with you reichtards is that you assume that someone who disagrees with your teenage fantasies doesn't know anything about firearms. You guys are so poisoned by the bullshit propaganda from the NRA that you claim everyone who disagrees with you on gun control is a weak-assed commie. Now let’s understand a thing or two. I personally challenged one of you mouth breathers to stand in front of me and spout his nonsense to my face and he ran away from the confrontation, twice. I, unlike most of you actually worked in a gun store and also made my living from selling shotgun shells to shooting ranges; my mother, father-in-law, brother, two cousins, and wife were law enforcement agents at the local, state, and federal level. Likely, I have fired more types of firearms than the lot of you combined, and am a superior shot with handgun, shotgun, and rifle.

But, that doesn't make any difference to you, because I support gun control. What is amazing is that you use the issue of "gun control" as a measure of your manhood, but more amazing is your stupidity to hold that manhood so cheaply.

Now, please, go show your personal bravery by running outside and screaming "WOLVERINES!"
oralloy

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 07:09 pm
@kuvasz,
"kuvasz" wrote:
Well, well, well. The local reichtards

Interesting. You are not capable of coming up with an intelligent response, so you resort to namecalling. But you can't come up with any creative namecalling, so you just combine "Nazi" and "retard" (your own shortcomings), as if falsely accusing people of being like you is some sort of adequate response.

Typical freedom hater.

"kuvasz" wrote:
(but the 7.62mm/308 caliber M15 shell, or 5.45mm Kalashnikov bullet are not designed for killing but wounding, thereby forcing the opposition to carry its wounded and slowing down accomplishment of the mission)

LOL!

Even if that were true (it's not) there is nothing to prevent people from loading a semi-auto rifle with different ammo.

"kuvasz" wrote:
so instead of using weapons to kill you are talking about weapons meant to wound, which would be actually counter to your defense.

In other words, you think the goal of self-defense is to kill.

It is already established that you don't know what you are talking about, but here you went and established it all over again.

Funny how people who always want to ban guns don't know the first thing about what they are talking about.

"kuvasz" wrote:
Will you knuckleheads ever get serious?

The fact that reality does not fit with your preconceived notions formed in ignorance does not mean that people who talk about reality are not serious.

"kuvasz" wrote:
These semi automatic weapons are not suitable for protection against home invasions, except in AFGHANISTAN.

Liar.

"kuvasz" wrote:
They are designed for ground combat in a military situation.

Liar.

(Here's a helpful hint: the ones designed for military combat are capable of more than semi-auto fire.)

"kuvasz" wrote:
But you guys still live in your teenage Red Dawn fantasy days thinking that you are potential heroes who will wipe out a platoon of bad guys because you dream of the day when you are some sort of Omegamen defending yourselves from virus stricken mutants. Most adults leave childhood fantasies behind when they reach puberty. But, not you folks.

Another distasteful trait that freedom haters frequently express. Not only do they not know what they are talking about and engage in name calling, they also spew bigoted stereotypes about those who oppose them.

You know the KKK also hates freedom, engages in namecalling, bigoted stereotypes, and doesn't know much about what they are talking about.

Nice company you keep there.

"kuvasz" wrote:
I would rather use a shotgun with a tight choke than an M15 if someone invaded my house. You would likely do more damage to someone in such close quarters, without the risk of having a rifle shot fly hundreds of yards through the neighborhood after it blew through your living room wall. Which would be the entire point, would it not?

Shotguns won't do much against body armor. And a .223 isn't very likely to penetrate a wall.

A rifle loaded with hunting ammo will do just as much damage as a shotgun.

"kuvasz" wrote:
But, what is amazing with you reichtards is that you assume that someone who disagrees with your teenage fantasies doesn't know anything about firearms.

Ah, more bigotry and hypocritical namecalling.

You are labeled as not knowing what you are talking about because you say stupid things about how semi-auto rifles are not suitable for self-defense.

"kuvasz" wrote:
You guys are so poisoned by the bullshit propaganda from the NRA that you claim everyone who disagrees with you on gun control is a weak-assed commie.

Oh, what NRA propaganda is that?

"kuvasz" wrote:
Now let’s understand a thing or two. I personally challenged one of you mouth breathers to stand in front of me and spout his nonsense to my face and he ran away from the confrontation, twice.

The nice thing about the internet is we can point out that you don't know what you are talking about without risk of you physically attacking us.

Given everything you've spewed, it seems pretty likely that an encounter with you would lead to a "self-defense incident". And those are still a legal hassle even though self-defense is legal.

"kuvasz" wrote:
I, unlike most of you actually worked in a gun store and also made my living from selling shotgun shells to shooting ranges; my mother, father-in-law, brother, two cousins, and wife were law enforcement agents at the local, state, and federal level. Likely, I have fired more types of firearms than the lot of you combined, and am a superior shot with handgun, shotgun, and rifle.

You've demonstrated a remarkable ignorance about the types of guns you want to ban.

"kuvasz" wrote:
But, that doesn't make any difference to you, because I support gun control.

Well, the problem isn't just "you supporting gun control", but "you supporting gun control that violates our civil rights".

But yes, any knowledge of guns you might possess makes little difference to the fact that you want to violate our rights.

Your knowledge of guns isn't as complete as you think however, given the gibberish you spew about "assault weapons".

"kuvasz" wrote:
What is amazing is that you use the issue of "gun control" as a measure of your manhood, but more amazing is your stupidity to hold that manhood so cheaply.

More bigoted stereotypes from the freedom hater. (Did I mention the KKK spews bigoted stereotypes just like you do?)
kuvasz

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 07:36 pm
@oralloy,
You lack the guile to conceal your vacuity. You’ve got nothing but your hatred towards those of us who consider that your opinions do not conform to reality and point out the gap between your rhetoric and objective reality.

Only a paranoid nutcase expects someone to use body armor when burglarizing their house. You guys are out there where the buses don't run.

btw, Saying that I am misinformed about firearms doesn't mean much without providing supporting evidence, so saying so does not make it so in the adult world.
maporsche

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 08:03 pm
@kuvasz,
Why are we wasting our time talking about assault rifles for self defense, it's not needed to show that Obama is in favor of banning the other, more popular self defense weapon (pistols).

He has already came out in support of BANS on pistols (Chicago, DC, New York).

No sense in arguing about semi-automatic "assault rifles", Obama is in favor of banning pistols and preventing people from defending themselves...is he not?
kuvasz

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:01 pm
@maporsche,
My comments were specific to the first link provided by your buddy that excoriated Obama for trying to close a loophole that allowed convicted felons to obtain assault weapons.

The second amendment only states that the federal government cannot abridge gun ownership, the States already do so and I posted the difference from Georgia where I once lived that had no more of an obstacle for owning a pistol AND wearing one on my hip in public than an FBI criminal check, versus Michigan that required me to pass a written test to possess the same type of firearm.

I would consider Obama's statement about firearm posession on the you tube flv file to be considered:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/imsm?source=sem-lb-google-con-sport-search-national&gclid=CLDWrO-So5YCFQOaFQodLzd_7Q

The NRA is spending many millions of dollars on misinformed TV ads and mailers to frighten voters into believing a lie that claims Barack Obama wishes to prosecute those who use a gun in their own home for self-defense.

The Truth:

Barack Obama has stated in unequivocal terma that law-abiding Americans have the right to purchase, own, transport, and use guns responsibly, including for the purpose of protecting their families. So this line of attack is particularly scurrilous, as it uses terrifying imagery and outright lies to attack Obama.

The TV ad dubiously cites a vote Obama took in the Illinois State Senate in 2004, in which he voted against a measure that created a loophole for people caught in violation of local gun registration laws"a bill that had nothing to do with whether or not a person was legally justified in using a firearm to protect their home or family. Obama voted to maintain a small provision of state law that ensured that those who fail to properly register dangerous weapons face the usual legal penalty. It is a piece of state legislative minutia that is almost too obscure and inconsequential to mention, let alone distort.

But the truth is rarely a hindrance to desperate groups dealing in smears and scare tactics. The NRA’s lies are transparent, so much so that North Carolina’s Citizen-Times gave the ads an “F” for twisting Obama’s position “almost out of whole cloth,” and many other news outlets have wholeheartedly condemned the ad campaign as well.

FactCheck.org: http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/nra_targets_obama.html.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/nra_targets_obama.html

Obama lays out his basic stance on guns in a PDF file here. http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/issues/additional/Obama_FactSheet_Western_Sportsmen.pdf

Quote:
PROTECTING GUN RIGHTS
Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters and shooters own and use guns each year. Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns.

he also mentions reducing gun violence in a pdf file on urban policy here,http://origin.barackobama.com/issues/urban_policy/

Quote:
Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

as to the dc gun control SCOTUS decision, this is what the guy said.

Quote:
"“I have always believed that the Second Amendment protects the right of individuals to bear arms, but I also identify with the need for crime-ravaged communities to save their children from the violence that plagues our streets through common-sense, effective safety measures," Obama said in a paper statement. "The Supreme Court has now endorsed that view, and while it ruled that the D.C. gun ban went too far, Justice Scalia himself acknowledged that this right is not absolute and subject to reasonable regulations enacted by local communities to keep their streets safe. Today’s ruling, the first clear statement on this issue in 127 years, will provide much-needed guidance to local jurisdictions across the country.

“As President, I will uphold the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun-owners, hunters, and sportsmen," Obama said, mindful no doubt of the popularity of gun rights in states he hopes to convert from red to blue, such as Virginia, North Carolina, and Missouri. "I know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together to enact common-sense laws, like closing the gun show loophole and improving our background check system, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals. Today's decision reinforces that if we act responsibly, we can both protect the constitutional right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/06/obama-embraces.html

The guy is not going to take your guns away unless you are a criminal, a nut case, or a terrorist, and anyone who says he is going to do so has to place objective facts and not subjective opinion on the discusion table. The NRA position, one that most of you guys hold is simply delusional nonsense and has already been debunked as such. which has been my point throughout.
oralloy

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:07 pm
@kuvasz,
"kuvasz" wrote:
You lack the guile to conceal your vacuity.

Support for civil rights is not a sign of vacuity.

I'll agree you have me edged on the guile department. (Though your guile does you little good when you go up against someone who knows what they are talking about.)

"kuvasz" wrote:
You’ve got nothing but your hatred towards those of us who consider that your opinions do not conform to reality

Not really. But it is a sign that those people don't have much grasp of reality.

"kuvasz" wrote:
and point out the gap between your rhetoric and objective reality.

You've pointed out nothing of the sort.

"kuvasz" wrote:
Only a paranoid nutcase expects someone to use body armor when burglarizing their house.

Liar.

(Bigot too. The KKK spews stereotypes just like you do. Freedom haters all seem to resort to the same tactics....)

"kuvasz" wrote:
btw, Saying that I am misinformed about firearms doesn't mean much without providing supporting evidence, so saying so does not make it so in the adult world.

Guess that is why I pointed out the things you didn't know (i.e. all the nonsensical gibberish you were spewing about semi-auto weapons).
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:45 pm
@kuvasz,
"kuvasz" wrote:
My comments were specific to the first link provided by your buddy that excoriated Obama for trying to close a loophole that allowed convicted felons to obtain assault weapons.

Wrong again. Obama was excoriated for wanting to ban "assault weapons" (really weapons designed for self-defense) for law abiding people.

"kuvasz" wrote:
The second amendment only states that the federal government cannot abridge gun ownership,

Ever heard of the Fourteenth Amendment?

Nevermind. Given the way you resort to namecalling everytime someone points out you don't know what you are talking about, I think I'd rather bash a brick against my head than attempt to explain the Constitution to you.

"kuvasz" wrote:
The NRA is spending many millions of dollars on misinformed TV ads and mailers to frighten voters into believing a lie that claims Barack Obama wishes to prosecute those who use a gun in their own home for self-defense.

Nice straw man tactic. But debunking an ad that no one here was even talking about does nothing to debunk any of the facts at this page:

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_obama.html

(Of course since everything at that page is true and cited to reputable sources, I guess you don't really have a way to debunk those facts....)

"kuvasz" wrote:
The Truth:
Barack Obama has stated in unequivocal terma that law-abiding Americans have the right to purchase, own, transport, and use guns responsibly, including for the purpose of protecting their families. So this line of attack is particularly scurrilous, as it uses terrifying imagery and outright lies to attack Obama.

The truth is that Obama has called for a ban on guns designed for self-defense, has voted for a federal ban on ammo designed for self-defense, and has called for a federal law that would bar states from issuing concealed carry licenses.

"kuvasz" wrote:
Obama lays out his basic stance on guns in a PDF file here.
http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/issues/additional/Obama_FactSheet_Western_Sportsmen.pdf

Quote:
PROTECTING GUN RIGHTS
Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters and shooters own and use guns each year. Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns.

No, Obama lies about his basic stance on guns there.

If Obama respected our gun rights, he would not have a long record of calling for (and in some cases voting for) bans on weapons designed for self-defense. He has also called for a federal law to bar state governments from issuing concealed weapons licenses.

"kuvasz" wrote:
he also mentions reducing gun violence in a pdf file on urban policy here, http://origin.barackobama.com/issues/urban_policy/

Quote:
Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

That last line says it all. Obama lies about the nature of assault weapons (really guns designed for self defense) and says he wants to ban them.

"kuvasz" wrote:
as to the dc gun control SCOTUS decision, this is what the guy said.

Quote:
"“I have always believed that the Second Amendment protects the right of individuals to bear arms, but I also identify with the need for crime-ravaged communities to save their children from the violence that plagues our streets through common-sense, effective safety measures," Obama said in a paper statement. "The Supreme Court has now endorsed that view, and while it ruled that the D.C. gun ban went too far, Justice Scalia himself acknowledged that this right is not absolute and subject to reasonable regulations enacted by local communities to keep their streets safe. Today’s ruling, the first clear statement on this issue in 127 years, will provide much-needed guidance to local jurisdictions across the country.

“As President, I will uphold the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun-owners, hunters, and sportsmen," Obama said, mindful no doubt of the popularity of gun rights in states he hopes to convert from red to blue, such as Virginia, North Carolina, and Missouri. "I know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together to enact common-sense laws, like closing the gun show loophole and improving our background check system, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals. Today's decision reinforces that if we act responsibly, we can both protect the constitutional right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/06/obama-embraces.html

Pointing out what Obama "says" is not terribly useful when his record shows that he intends to do the opposite of what he says.

And all his talk about hunters and sportsmen belies the fact that Obama wants to take away guns designed for self-defense.

"kuvasz" wrote:
The guy is not going to take your guns away unless you are a criminal, a nut case, or a terrorist,

Nope. Obama plans to take away your guns if you have a semi-auto rifle on hand for self-defense.

"kuvasz" wrote:
and anyone who says he is going to do so has to place objective facts and not subjective opinion on the discusion table.

Here is a page full of objective facts for you:

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_obama.html

"kuvasz" wrote:
The NRA position, one that most of you guys hold is simply delusional nonsense and has already been debunked as such. which has been my point throughout.

It is unlikely your strawman debunking of "the NRA" dealt with the NRA's actual position.

It is definite that your strawman debunking of "the NRA" failed to deal with any of the facts that I (and others) have provided here.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 09:56 am
@oralloy,
First, you know about the US Constitution, and the rights enumerated in it a lot less than I do. So telling me that I want to infringe on your right to bear arms is prima fascia evidence that you are not right in the head.

There is nothing unconstitutional about a ban on assault weapons. DC v Heller does not offer carte’ blanche on them, as Scalia said. So you can not to use that line of argument to defend your demand that you have a constitutional right to use an Uzi, M15 or AK-47 to protect yourself from a burglar invading your home.

Even Justice Scalia noted in his decision that if the handgun ban fell on the basis of an individual right to self-defense, the District’s ban on machine guns would need not also be overturned.

The Court's ruling does not affect the District's ban on "machine guns," which under DC law includes any gun "which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily converted or restored to shoot semi-automatically, more than 12 shots without manual reloading."

This definition includes virtually all semiautomatic handguns. As a result, the District's ban can remain in force for those types of handguns. In essence, the Court's ruling for the most part will only affect revolvers and derringers.

See the pdf file from the SCOTUS decision, District of Columbia versus Heller.
http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/07-2901.pdf

If you castigate Obama for trying to restrict assault weapons then you ought to do so to Scalia who claims in DC v Heller that the individual right to bear arms does not include "M-16 rifles and the like" because it covers only those weapons "in common use at the time" of the amendment's adoption in the 18th century and not "dangerous and unusual weapons."

FROM PAGE 54 ONWARD OF SCALIA’S DECISIONIN DC V HELLER

Quote:
Like most rights, the right secured by the Second
Amendment is not unlimited.
From Blackstone through
the 19th-century cases, commentators and courts routinely
explained that the right was not a right to keep and
carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever
and for whatever purpose. See, e.g., Sheldon, in 5 Blume
346; Rawle 123; Pomeroy 152"153; Abbott 333. For example,
the majority of the 19th-century courts to consider the
question held that prohibitions on carrying concealed
weapons were lawful under the Second Amendment or
state analogues. See, e.g., State v. Chandler, 5 La. Ann.,
at 489"490; Nunn v. State, 1 Ga., at 251; see generally 2
Kent *340, n. 2; The American Students’ Blackstone 84, n.
11 (G. Chase ed. 1884). Although we do not undertake an
exhaustive historical analysis today of the full scope of the
Second Amendment, nothing in our opinion should be
taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the
possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or
laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places
such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing
conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms

We also recognize another important limitation on the
right to keep and carry arms.
Miller said, as we have
explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those
“in common use at the time.”
307 U. S., at 179. We think
that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition
of prohibiting the carrying of “dangerous and unusual
weapons.”
See 4 Blackstone 148"149 (1769); 3 B. Wilson,
Works of the Honourable James Wilson 79 (1804); J.
Dunlap, The New-York Justice 8 (1815); C. Humphreys, A
Compendium of the Common Law in Force in Kentucky
482 (1822); 1 W. Russell, A Treatise on Crimes and Indictable
Misdemeanors 271"272 (1831); H. Stephen, Summary
of the Criminal Law 48 (1840); E. Lewis, An Abridgment
of the Criminal Law of the United States 64 (1847); F.
Wharton, A Treatise on the Criminal Law of the United
States 726 (1852). See also State v. Langford, 10 N. C.
381, 383"384 (1824); O’Neill v. State, 16 Ala. 65, 67 (1849);
English v. State, 35 Tex. 473, 476 (1871); State v. Lanier,
71 N. C. 288, 289 (1874).

But here is the critical part relevant to the topic at hand.

Quote:
It may be objected that if weapons that are most useful
in military service"M-16 rifles and the like"may be
banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely
detached from the prefatory clause. But as we have said,
the conception of the militia at the time of the Second
Amendment’s ratification was the body of all citizens
capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of
lawful weapons that they possessed at home to militia
duty. It may well be true today that a militia, to be as
effective as militias in the 18th century, would require
sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society at
large. Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks. But the fact that modern developments have limited the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right.

We turn finally to the law at issue here. As we have
said, the law totally bans handgun possession in the home.
It also requires that any lawful firearm in the home be
disassembled or bound by a trigger lock at all times, rendering
it inoperable.

As the quotations earlier in this opinion demonstrate,
the inherent right of self-defense has been central to the
Second Amendment right. The handgun ban amounts to a
prohibition of an entire class of “arms” that is overwhelmingly
chosen by American society for that lawful purpose.

The prohibition extends, moreover, to the home, where the
need for defense of self, family, and property is most acute.
Under any of the standards of scrutiny that we have applied
to enumerated constitutional rights, banning from the home “the most preferred firearm in the nation to ‘keep’ and use for protection of one’s home and family,”

Do you understand this? Because from your argument that you possess an inherent constitutional right to have assault weapons, apparently, you don’t. It means that while

Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It does not preclude that the government can not regulate weapons in the home that would be of a nature used by a militia if such weapons are “dangerous and unusual weapons.”

Home protection and self preservation has relied upon handguns, shotguns, and hunting rifles historically and it is these weapons which fall under protection by the DC v Heller decision, and not those of an inherently military nature like assault weapons.

This is the salient point of Scalia stating that…..

Quote:
the fact that modern developments have limited the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right.

Again, the SCOTUS decision in Heller did not overturn the District of Columbia’s ban on machine guns. Aka “assault weapons,” because of the preceding quote from the decision.

So stating that I want to infringe upon your inherent constitutional right to possess them is wrong, because you have no inherent constitutional right to possess them, according to Scalia. Not me.

As to your boogeyman concern about gun confiscation, you ought to revel in Scalia’s Heller decision.

The gun lobby effectively thwarted efforts to pass many sensible gun laws by arguing that even modest gun control would lead down the path to a complete ban on gun ownership. It is the classic "slippery slope" argument, and it has served the gun lobby well politically.

That "slippery slope," however, is now gone. The U.S. Supreme Court took it off the table in their D.C. v. Heller opinion. Government is now barred from "taking away" the guns of law-abiding Americans.

Because of this Court decision, proposals such as Brady background checks on all gun sales, limiting bulk sales of handguns, restricting access to military-style assault weapons, and strengthening the power of law enforcement to shut down corrupt gun dealers can now be debated on their merits without them being seen as a "first step on the road to gun confiscation."

While the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the District's ban on handguns, they also made it clear that the Constitution allows for reasonable restrictions on access to firearms. As Justice Scalia said, "the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited." When the dust settles, most Americans will come to see that there are some positives in this decision.

Elected officials will no longer be able to use a mistaken, absolutist misreading of the Second Amendment as an excuse to do nothing about gun violence in our country. Politicians can't hide behind the Second Amendment anymore.

As to your unsubstantiated remark that you are not arguing the NRA’s talking point about Obama you certainly are doing it, even if inadvertently.

The NRA continues to suggest that even tepid gun-control advocates like Sen. Obama favor confiscation. This is from Politico:

Quote:
"A recent mailing from the president of the National Rifle Association to its members says that Barack Obama wants to ban the possession of handguns, and that 'never in NRA's history have we faced a presidential candidate " and hundreds of candidates running for other offices " with such a deep-rooted hatred of firearm freedoms.'"

To put it briefly, all constitutional rights can be infringed if the state's interest in doing so is "compelling" enough in the Court's eyes. There have been some judges, who have been "absolutist" on certain constitutional rights, meaning that they believe that under no circumstances can the state infringe a particular right.

But the Court's long-standing consensus has been that all rights can theoretically be infringed if the reason is good enough. Deciding that the Second Amendment confers an individual as opposed to a collective right to gun ownership is, in effect, to decide only what level of "scrutiny" with which to assess laws that infringe the Second Amendment.

Had the Court come down in favor of the collective rights position, it would have applied moderate scrutiny to the D.C. law, and asked only whether the law had a "rational basis." Under this level of scrutiny, the D.C. law probably would have stood. But by deciding that the Second Amendment confers an individual right, the Court had to apply the level of scrutiny that it applies to all constitutionally protected individual rights: "strict scrutiny." Under this scrutiny, the D.C. law was bound to fall. Breyer suggested it might not have to, because he considers the state interest in safety to be very, very compelling, but inevitably, strict scrutiny = no more handgun ban.

Now, as for the assault weapons and machine gun bans:

Yes, those bans would likely survive strict scrutiny, as even Justice Scalia noted. And yes, that's a judgment call that the Court has to make.

Their judgment would likely be based upon the argument that assault weapons and machine guns serve no purpose except to make violence more efficient and successful.

The state interest in reducing violence is more compelling than the individual's right to keep an assault rifle, because there's no good reason to have an assault rifle in the first place, they would say.

There is a good reason to have a handgun--- protection. Since you can protect yourself as well with a handgun (or shotgun, or hunting rifle) as easily as you can with an assault rifle, and since the purpose of the Second Amendment was (in the Court's majority view in Heller ) to protect the individual's right to self-defense and not to protect any and all acts of gun violence, states and cities can and should be allowed to restrict certain classes of firearms.

So who gets to define what infringements on the second amendment is reasonable?

The answer to every "Who gets to decide?" question is: your elected representatives, and the courts. Congress, state legislatures, and city councils write laws defining terms like "assault weapon" and "machine gun," and then, if those laws are challenged, the courts decide whether those definitions are fair and accurate and, if so, whether banning those guns is "reasonable.

Obama, who was and is pro-gun control, is not one you might call a gun control absolutist, or those who favor bans and confiscations. Obama favored the D.C. ban and a similar Illinois ban, but there's no indication he would seek a national policy along those lines. His operating principle is that states and cities (like Illinois or D.C.) should decide gun policy because gun violence is a localized phenomenon, and because those governments can best assess what restrictions are in keeping with "people's traditions." It just so happens that Chicago and D.C. have pretty bad gun violence. But the concern that Obama wants to take away everyone's guns has no evidence to back it up. And doing so would be impossible now anyway.

But it is clear that he is very sympathetic to the idea of gun control, even though he wouldn't turn that support into a national policy.