McCain shows his true character and leadership

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, take a deep breath, check out the facts and then get back to us.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:08 pm
A soldier, expressing his concern for poor John's hectic schedule.

Quote:

Our Troops Don't Get a Time-Out for the Financial Crisis

Jon Soltz

So, because there's a financial crisis, Senator McCain cannot take 90 minutes to address how he will face challenges around the world, including how and when he will send American troops to fight, and possibly die.

Wow. Troops would sure love that luxury.

Unfortunately, though, insurgents in Iraq don't stop shooting at us, or setting IEDs, because our Commander in Chief needs a breather to figure out Wall Street.

Al Qaeda in the Afghanistan/Pakistan border region don't send our troops notes that read, "Hey, I hear you guys are tied up with Wall Street. Your President needs to concentrate on other things, so we'll give you a break. So, to make things easier on you, here's our coordinates."

Nor do our troops get a few days to figure out how to hold onto an area we've secured, if there's an unexpected attack. Sometimes we need to deal with multiple flare-ups at once in any warzone. We'd sure love a time-out, but sadly, the world isn't such a nice place that it gives us that kind of pity.

When you're Commander in Chief, I don't think there'd be a worse signal to send to our troops in harm's way than to say, "Hey, hold on guys. I know you're getting killed over there, but I have to get a time-out here to deal with Wall Street."

If troops need to multi-task without a break, is it so wrong that we demand that a potential President-in-waiting prove that he can manage a financial crisis, and still address crises around the world for 90 minutes? And, if a potential President-to-be can't manage that, is it wrong to think that maybe he ought not just suspend a debate and the campaign, but move aside and get out of the race?

Just something to think about.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-soltz/our-troops-dont-get-a-tim_b_129055.html

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:09 pm
Obama is following McCain's leadership, kicking and screaming, but he is going to comply.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:26 pm
@H2O MAN,
I can't decide which I would rather see... McCain flip flopping and showing up, or Obama debating with an empty podium.
JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:31 pm
@ebrown p,
Either way, it's an empty podium, E Brown.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:34 pm
@JTT,
LOL
ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:36 pm
@ebrown p,
Someone on another board suggested that Bob Barr be given McCain's seat since McCain doesn't want it.

That would be funny.
cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:37 pm
@ebrown p,
McCains bailout from the debate to go back to work is just like the old "blood trick" from Primary Colors.

In that book/flick, the unlikely replacement candidate said he was going to donate a pint of blood beacause his predecessor was in the hospital. It garnered him a sure victory & his opponent was pissed that his campaign didn't think of that.

That is the kind of deal McCain is pulling. Take the high road, get back to work to help Americans-quit campaigning for a new job-do the one you have now.

Obama must be furious today. Harry Reid sure is.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:44 pm
@cjhsa,
Laughing

Are you serious, Cj?

You don't think that people might be a tad bit skeptical of his motives?

Not only that, McCain is going to hitch his cart to a gigantic taxpayer bailout of the corporations of America? Biggest one in history?

And looking like you are ducking the debate, and not only that, trying to duck the VP debate as well?

I wouldn't want to be in such a position, personally...

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:44 pm
@ebrown p,

You are witnessing an Obama flip-flop right now, right before your eyes.

He is setting politics aside and he is going to Washington.
Obama will do the right thing and postpone the debate if need be.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
McCain is still trying to show he's a maverick, but the truth of the matter is, he's missed so many votes in congress, he won't be missed. The other thing is that congress has been hashing this out for a few days now, and are near a final agreement on this legislation. What kind of "help" does McCain think he can contribute at this point in the game? His ideas have already be hashed and rehashed. He says this isn't political, but many of the pundits out there says it is. The polls also shows that the former pro-McCain folks are not only confused, but mad as hell. McCain said just last week that our "economy is fundamentally sound." Now, he says, there's an urgency to approve this bailout.

I've been asking the conservatives on a2k about explaining where McCain stands on the important issues of our day, but none has so far responded. I wonder why.

I know that it's not that important, but I'd like for them to start with McCain's position on our economy.

nimh

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 09:15 pm
Now all of you should be ashamed for smearing the name of a war hero. How dare you call John McCain a coward for preferring to help save the country over taking part in a ginned up media debate.. McCain did enough "debating" with his captors when he was a captive, that is, a POW.

(OK, I stole that last line)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 09:33 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

Now all of you should be ashamed for smearing the name of a war hero. How dare you call John McCain a coward for preferring to help save the country over taking part in a ginned up media debate.. McCain did enough "debating" with his captors when he was a captive, that is, a POW.

McCain was a POW?

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 09:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,

Think of McCain as this countries #1 community organizer.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 09:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Has anyone mentioned already that McCain was a POW?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:34 pm
@CalamityJane,
Really. A POW heh?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:46 pm
I am SO relieved that McCain has decided to single-handedly handle this whole financial mess. He's the champion of Truth, Justice and the American Way! Now that I know everything is going to be OK I will make something special for dinner.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:46 am
abc3 said, "If McCain were serious about suspending political activity to work on the settlement, he would not have blindsided Obama by issuing his press statement before he and Obama had agreed on their bipartisan statement. At that point, he chose political advantage over bipartisanship."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dot.comments/2008/09/mccains_gamble.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:59 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

Pretty childish for you.
candidone1

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 08:48 am
So let me get thsi straight, McG, you are praising McCain for being proactive in this economic crisis?

This is the same McCain who even during the height of the crisis claimed multiple times that the "fundamentals of our ecomnomy are sound"?

This is the same McCain who, during the launch of his campaign claimed "the economy is not my strong point"?

This is the same McCain who has been a Senator who has, for nearly his entire career, been a staunch advocate for deregulation--which is partly to blame for this crisis?

This is the same McCain who belonged to the infamous "Keating Five" during the S & L scandal in the '80's?

This is the same McCain who railed against his own running mates lust for earmarks and "pork barrel" spending, placing her on his "pork list"?

This is the same McCain who has already come out favoring the bail out as it currently stands?

This all beign said, again, what is he going to DO that will be of any benefit to America???????
0 Replies