Why I Support John McCain

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 10:14 pm
Why I Support John McCain

… and why you should too.

Barrack Obama is a face. He is riding a wave of popularity based on novelty, youth, and racial leverage. He is eloquent, educated, and handsome. He is young and energetic, and wants America to believe that these talents eminently qualify him to lead the world.

Let’s be honest, every one of us wants the top job. We all would love to somehow vault into the upper echelons of our organizations, social strata, industries, and peers groups. If the United States Army offered me an instant leap over ranks of senior officers to be one of the youngest generals in history I would be hard pressed to decline. Every human craves power and prestige. But does that qualify us for our pretensions? The case could be made that the very desire, and the actions based upon it, is inversely related to the true qualities of a great leader.

Obama has made some remarkable speeches. But by that metric perhaps George Clooney would be a far wiser choice. Obama has speechwriters " like all politicians " wizards with words who write works that will play to their candidate’s strengths, and who are infinitely assisted by the young politician’s power of delivery. Substance is proven through actions, and Obama’s actions are sparse at best. George Clooney has extraordinary powers of delivery, and his resume could be compared to Obama’s in the areas of life experience and philanthropy. Perhaps he would be the better President? His musings on health care, command of the military, social security, and economic policy may be equally valid (perhaps even rousing when combined with a clever speechwriter).

Obama has decried mention of race as a matter of his rise to stardom, but in honesty denuded of PC sensitivities, would a young white politician with less than two years in the senate have enjoyed the same success? John Edwards is an excellent, recent example, one who had even more time in the senate than Obama when he announced his candidacy. Edwards didn’t even come close to securing his party’s nomination. But race is no factor and to mention it is racism. John Tester had the same chance of securing the nomination as Obama did (if you don’t know who John Tester is that should tell you something).

John McCain learned about service to his country the hard way. McCain proved is character beyond what any speechwriter could ever contrive when he refused early release from Vietnamese torture and incarceration in honor of the seniority system. He refused to break faith with his fellow POW’s. Such a difficult decision proves McCain’s strength of character and his resistance of the EASY WAY OUT. A contrast can be made when a 20-year old, intimate association with a church and pastor was disowned by Obama only the moment it became a threat to his candidacy.

McCain doesn’t just sprinkle the words “change” and “hope” through his books and speeches, and then never deviate from the party line. He championed McCain-Feingold when it earned him the heated enmity of his own party. He supports a more liberal immigration policy than the mainstream of his party. He voted to allow stem cell research in 2007 even though most in his party oppose it and he himself found it a very difficult decision. He vigorously supported the surge when many in his own party were against it. And he spearheaded the “Gang of 14” that kept Congressional Democrats the power to filibuster because he believed that going against his own party would protect our democratic system from the tyranny of the majority.

The surge is a telling issue one that puts the differences of the candidates into sharp focus. Obama strongly opposed the surge and as recently as June 2008 declared on his website that it was a “problem” and “was not working”. He has recently declared that it has been a tremendous success and has scrubbed his earlier positions from his websites and positions. McCain has always supported more troops on the ground. As early as 2003 when Republicans called his position paranoid and unnecessary McCain led the call for more troops. He did this knowing it was a severely unpopular sentiment. Recently McCain poignantly explained why he supported it when he said “I'd rather lose an election than see my country lose a war.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 7,611 • Replies: 131

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 10:18 pm
@Parker Cross,
Jack Kennedy was also one of "those," except Jack was a "catholic."
Parker Cross

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 10:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Jack Kennedy was also one of "those," except Jack was a "catholic."

Not so much. Kennedy was a congressman for three terms and a senator for eight years before the election.

Obama was a senator for ... 18 months? before he wanted to be president.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 04:04 am
@Parker Cross,
I will vote for McCain because he is not as far left as Obama,
and he has experience, which O. does not.

I love Sarah Palin 's association with the libertarian Republicans of Alaska
and her freedom of self defense position

David
firefly

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 04:39 am
@Parker Cross,
Quote:
(S)he is riding a wave of popularity based on novelty, youth, and (gender)racial leverage.(S)he is eloquent, educated, and handsome. (S)he is young and energetic, and wants America to believe that these talents eminently qualify (her)him to lead the world.

Quote:
Let’s be honest, every one of us wants the top job. We all would love to somehow vault into the upper echelons of our organizations, social strata, industries, and peers groups. If the United States Army offered me an instant leap over ranks of senior officers to be one of the youngest generals in history I would be hard pressed to decline. Every human craves power and prestige. But does that qualify us for our pretensions? The case could be made that the very desire, and the actions based upon it, is inversely related to the true qualities of a great leader.

You just described Sarah Palin
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 04:43 am
I always find it funny that when someone wants to talk about why they are supporting John McCain... they start out by talking about Obama.

When I talk about why I support Obama, I start by talking about Obama's unique qualities; his intelligence, his experience with and knowledge of real issues faced by communities, his education and experience in constitutional law, his ability to reason on the important complex issues, his stands on the issues, his political savvy and leadership.

Obama is an impressive candidate on his own.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 05:40 am
@Parker Cross,

Mr. Cross, "should" is a word you should strike from your vocabulary.

ebrown makes an interesting comment-- how people in favor of McCain start their argument talking about Obama.

At this point, what Obama has is potential. I agree with you about his lack of experience. However, I am willing to vote for him because I believe the US is going to hell in handbasket and another Republican administration will continue down the path to oblivion.

As hokey and cliche as Obama's message of "hope" has become, I really do have hope he will at least restore some of this country's credibility both here and abroad.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 05:44 am
Again, that Chicago machine is the closest thing we have to Tammany Hall in our modern world. No ****ing way am I voting to put that in charge of the country.

Check out a copy of Gangs of New York (which is about Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall) and try to picture any of those lunatics in the whitehouse. That's what an Oinkbama presidency would amount to. Jeremiah Write would be minister of religion, Rezko would be in charge of HUD, Ayres would be AG, Bernadette Dorne would be Secretary of State, and on and on and on. It would be nightmare on Elm Street for the year and a half it lasted before CW-II got started.

0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 06:11 am
@Parker Cross,
yeah but hes half senile...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 06:29 am
it's good that so many people are willing to support mc cain, older people often need some help when walking or getting up from chairs

so support him all you like

just don't vote for him
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 06:52 am
@Parker Cross,
Just FYI: The "surge" did not work. Bribing insurgents not to fight is what "worked."

And the "empty suit" meme just doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Obama has been too successful as both a lawyer and a public servant.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 07:03 am
@Parker Cross,
I hate to say it, but when a post entitled "Why I Support John McCain" starts it's first line with "Barack Obama", I really have a difficult time reading on.

edit: I see ebrown had the same idea.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 07:10 am
@FreeDuck,
Part of persuasive writing is tearing down the opposition. I think I learned that in 10th grade English.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 07:14 am
@McGentrix,
Sure, but in the very first paragraph? The title of the post implies that the author will be making a case FOR his candidate, not AGAINST the other. If it was titled, "Why I Don't Support Barack Obama" I could see it.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 07:26 am
@McGentrix,
Did you go on to 11th grade English?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 07:47 am
@ebrown p,
Ooooh. Snarky.
0 Replies

Parker Cross

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 08:27 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Obama has been too successful as both a lawyer and a public servant.

What success? What success that qualifies him to lead the free world. Come to think of it Drew, George Clooney has been worlds more successful in his field than Obama. Johnny Cochrane is a successful lawyer, perhaps he would be a better candidate. State senator is not exactly a Presidential prep school now is it. With no executive experience, no true public service bona fides, all that is left is the desire for power that matched with an unparalleled persuasiveness is masquerading as "destiny".
Parker Cross

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 08:33 am
@FreeDuck,
Duck, I'm sure it was hard to read until the halfway mark. But, it does seem impressive that the best refutation of Obama's inherent weaknesses as a candidate are complaints about the quality of my syntax.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 08:36 am
@Parker Cross,
It's not your syntax. Your title is false advertising. I was looking for your case FOR McCain, not your case AGAINST Obama.
Parker Cross

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 08:36 am
I am sincerely curious just how many of our leftest leaning brethren and sisteren throughout this bastion of conservatism know about John Tester without having to Google him (or in my preference Yahoo! Search him). I think the juxtaposition of his career and qualifications with Obama's is a telling indictment of the true legitimacy of Obama's candidacy.