Hanna, Ike and Josephine. Hurricanes of the Week

mismi

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 06:27 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
As much as I would love to speak to EB again, his concern was having no way to recharge his battery for his phone.

tell him to go buy a charger that goes in the cig lighter of his car. That's how I charge mine all the time. Although I understand he may not be able to...but that would solve that problem anyway...my thoughts are still with all those struggling through this horrible time there in Ike's aftermath
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:05 pm
@Region Philbis,
CenterPoint has indicated that 60% of their customers are still without power as of noon today. From mac's description earlier of where she is, she's still in the red zone.

http://www.centerpointenergy.com/staticfiles/CNP/Common/SiteAssets/doc/Ike%20outage%20MAP_9.17_noon.pdf

ehbeth -- you have mail. It may be in your spam folder.
mac11

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 02:47 pm
Hi guys, I'm fine. Sorry everyone was so worried (but I knew you would be).

No power, no home phone, (very) intermittent cell service. I have a car charger, but it only really works when you run the engine, and I'm conserving gas as it's hard to come by - and so I've mostly left my phone off. I have plenty of non-perishable food and bottled water. The weather has been mercifully and unseasonably pleasant since Monday - highs in the 80s, lows in the 60s. That probably 10 degrees below normal.

At the moment, I'm at my sister's office charging the cellphone and checking in with y'all...

My office is closed until Monday, but I will try to get in there tomorrow as it is supposed to be open for "business critical" employees. (I'm not so critical as all that, but I'd just as soon get some work done as stay home and read more books.)
JPB

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 02:48 pm
@JPB,
Listening to an update from CenterPoint Energy.

They currently have 39% of their customers online. They hope to be at the 50% level by 9/23 and the 75% level by "the end of next week".
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 02:49 pm
@mac11,
(((( mac ))))

whew!! Thanks for checking in. Stay cool, stay safe.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 02:53 pm
@mac11,
Oh, very happy to see you here Mac11... stay safe and well girl - huge hugs to you and yours.... very relieved to hear you are alright. Wishing your power to come back on as soon as. 'Til then - take very good care. x
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 02:53 pm
@mac11,
phew ...

(the upside, I discovered that I've got 3 phone numbers for mac11 here)

mac11

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 02:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Hmm, the cell number changed in June...

I may have your email, if so, I'll send you the new one.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 03:09 pm
@mac11,
Great to hear from you, Mac11.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 03:15 pm
@mac11,
I sent an email to your office this morning - got the "out of office" reply.

Just sent an email to the other eddress I found for you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 04:58 pm
@mac11,
Glad to see ya, mac.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 05:00 pm
@mac11,
Hi Mac, glad to see your ok.
Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 07:04 pm
@sublime1,
Mac, I'm so glad to see you here. Very Happy

Stay well.

<<<<hugs>>>>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 08:37 pm
@mac11,
got the new #
Rockhead

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 08:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Welcome back, Mac...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 05:54 am
@realjohnboy,
You're right, RJB, the inland stuff gets reported less. The NYT, for example, has had nothing about the problems here in Ohio.

My last post (on Sunday afternoon) was about branches coming down left and right. My power went out shortly after that and I just got it back last night! (I've never been so happy to see a fluorescent light in my life.)

We had a LOT of wind damage. Mature trees blown down all over the place, some landing on cars, some on roofs, some on power lines. In our immediate neighborhood there were three different trees that had fallen on power lines and were suspended there. Our trees are mostly OK -- largest branch that fell was probably about 6 inches in diameter. We have giant piles of debris from the yard piled up by the street (as does everyone else).

About 90% of Columbus lost power straight off, but then restoring it limped along because many emergency + utility workers had gone down to Texas to help there, and because it was so complicated (as in, those trees had to be dealt with before the power could be turned back on).

The weather has been beautiful which helped a lot. Previous power outages have seemed to happen when it was either brutally cold or hellishly hot.

Enough pockets have had power that we've been able to go out to eat. I have a gas stove so have been able to cook (the problem is storing perishable food -- no fridge, and no open stores or open stores with ice available until very recently).

Anyway, definitely a challenge, but small change in the scheme of things.

Sorry you still have to deal with this mac, glad you are fine though.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 06:55 am
@mac11,
glad you're fine, mac...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 07:19 am
@sozobe,
Glad you're ok too, soz.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 03:50 pm
@sozobe,
Hey Soz...

Had no idea you / Ohio was in the storm. So glad to see you here safe and sound girl. x
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 03:56 pm
@sozobe,
holy moly, we hadn't heard any of this about Columbus!