Hanna, Ike and Josephine. Hurricanes of the Week

Izzie

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 11:00 am
@JPB,
Right here with y'all too - Edgar, please take my hand for your poorly one and get safe to the apartments with you and yours. Mac11 - thinking of you and the PDiddies..... hoping and praying for IKE to be gentle with you...

Haven't heard from my niece - she has her fiancee and his family and friends from Galveston with her in Jersey Hills... hopefully she will be far enough inland.

Waiting with you all. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 11:08 am
@JPB,
Hurricane Hunters are finding Cat 3 winds, which will probably result in an upgrade to Cat 3 at the next official timepoint (5:00pm EDT).
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 11:52 am
@JPB,
Texas City has not called for a mandatory evacuation due to the 20' levee that protects the city from Galveston Bay. If the storm surge exceeds 20' in that area the city will be open to the waters of Galveston Bay. Morning estimates for storm surge on the south side of Galveston Bay is 15'-18'. It appears that waves action will ultimately overwash a 20' levee but the question of peak storm surge on the south side of the bay remains open.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 11:59 am
We are back home for a respite. In a bit we will load the rest of our stuff and make our final departure. It depends on the wind how soon that will be.
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Will be thinking of you until this is over, edgar.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:05 pm
@JPB,
GALVESTON " About 1,000 prisoners and a full jail staff remained in the Galveston County Jail on Galveston Island this morning, even as the island began to be battered by the onslaught of Hurricane Ike.

The reason for not evacuating the prisoners is a security issue and cannot be discussed, sheriff's spokesman Maj. Ray Tuttoilmondo said.

"The prisoners and their safety and well-being are paramount and it will be handled," Tuttoilmondo said.

Any decision to move the prisoners would be kept secret for security reasons, as happened before Hurricane Rita in 2005, he said.

"We did this during Rita and no one knew until it was absolutely done," Tuttoilmondo said.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:18 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Texas City has not called for a mandatory evacuation due to the 20' levee that protects the city from Galveston Bay. If the storm surge exceeds 20' in that area the city will be open to the waters of Galveston Bay. Morning estimates for storm surge on the south side of Galveston Bay is 15'-18'. It appears that waves action will ultimately overwash a 20' levee but the question of peak storm surge on the south side of the bay remains open.
Shocked That is insane. If those numbers are accurate; every wave bigger than 2 to 5 feet will spill over and a rogue may not even notice that Levee. It is a very sloppy looking storm, so they may be gambling that it weakens quickly; but that is an insane risk. I do hope most of the residents have enough sense to get out on their own. Anyone living in an area vulnerable to flood should get the hell out too. Even sloppy, if a storm that size stalls, it could rain people under water. Worst of all though; I can't believe they're taking a 15+ foot surge lightly. That's a veritable bulldozer. Let’s hope it at least stays sloppy.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:18 pm
@JPB,
Here is an interactive map for Harris County (City of Houston and surrounds). You can draw numerous up-to-the minute maps of the conditions within and around Houston. Choose a map from the drop down and click "draw map". The wind map shows the entire Houston/Galveston area. Some maps show only Harris County info. I'll try to find something similar for Chambers and Jefferson Counties.

http://hcoem.houstontranstar.org/txdot/
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:35 pm
@JPB,
A 2nd pier on Galveston Island along Seawall Blvd has collapsed due to wave action. Heavy equipment working to clear debris from Seawall Blvd to 1) allow emergency vehicles to use the blvd as long as possible and 2) to keep the debris from becoming missiles when the TS and hurricane force winds arrive.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 12:46 pm
@JPB,
Interactive SLOSH map that shows the incoming storm surge over the next 24 hours. The south (west) side of Galveston Bay is expected to peak at 12' - 15'. Unfortunately, current water gauge readings continue to read 2 - 2.5' above the estimated levels.

http://www.weather.gov/mdl/etsurge/data/gf0-48.gif
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:06 pm
@JPB,
Similar interactive SLOSH map for the Sabine Lake area (Chamers and Jefferson counties) Peak surge in Jefferson County expected to approach 30'.

ftp://ftp.tpc.ncep.noaa.gov/surge/Latest/i46_bp3.gif
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:19 pm
@JPB,
From NOAA

Quote:
As of 09/12/2008 12:00 CDT, water levels are rapidly rising along the Gulf Coast from Mississippi to southern Texas and range from 5 to over 7 feet above predicted. The highest water levels are being recorded at Shell Beach, LA and Freshwater Canal Locks, LA. Water levels along the Florida panhandle are elevated up to 2 feet above predicted. Barometric pressure is falling along the Louisiana and Texas coasts. Winds are increasing across Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas, with winds at Calcasieu Pass, LA recording gusts nearly 50 knots.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hi, Edgar. I reckon yall are about to take off. I was glad to hear of the availability of the apartment.
Best wishes to you and Ms Edgar and to Mac11 and the Pdiddies. We will all be thinking of you and are looking forward to hearing yall report in.

Take care.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:12 pm
@realjohnboy,
The wind is still pretty calm around here. No Rain, no nothing. We are waiting for something more to make us leave (It's only a twelve minute drive to the place we are to stay).

I say once again, we appreciate all the well wishes we have gotten. Makes me appreciate a2k community even more.
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
current estimates are that approx 40% of the residents of Galveston Island did not evacuate. 2000 census = 57,247
sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:16 pm
@JPB,
Ack.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks for keeping us informed, edgar. Take good care of yourselves.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:32 pm
@JPB,
I just came on to report that 40% of people that stayed in Galveston. I guarantee that I would not ride it out down there.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:34 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

current estimates are that approx 40% of the residents of Galveston Island did not evacuate. 2000 census = 57,247
Shocked I wouldn't have believed they'd be given an option. Let's hope fate spares these people despite the gross mismanagement. The Category rating should be a secondary consideration on a barrier Island. The Surge is 10 times more likely than wind to cause death and destruction... so the coastal areas should consider this storm no less dangerous than a Cat-5. Water, being 784 times as dense as air, is the ultimate threat.

Further inland should, hopefully, be in considerably better shape. But don't underestimate the wind either. Hurricane Andrew spawned tornadoes that chewed up Homestead with wind speeds immeasurable on the Saffir-Simpson scale.

Keep your heads down Edgar, Mac and PDiddies... and anyone else.
JPB

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
TS force winds now at Galveston Island. Hurricane force winds expected to arrive within the next 3 or 4 hours.