The Republican Convention kicks off Tuesday 9-2-08

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:12 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Democrat constituents at it again. Do these people have jobs? Why are they here?

http://www.foxnews.com/images/root_images/090408_codetext.jpg

Those are community organizers.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:17 pm
@okie,
Former members of "Code Pink"?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:25 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

You had to go to an opinion piece in a tabloid that is part of the Rupert Murdoch media empire in order to find something positive about Palin?

That is depressing....

It certainly is depressing which is why, as I posted earlier, at least 60+ people in America now believe that the media is doing its damndest to hurt Palin and elect Obama. And what does THAT say for the integrity of the free press?
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:27 pm
I am just back from afternoon appointments by the way, and enroute home I heard excerpts from Obama's press conference he called today. He sounded angry, vague, and defensive.

Noting: On Obama's big night, McCain suspended campaigning for the day and paid to run an ad congratulating his opponent on an historic occasion and ran it several times during the day and evening.

On McCain's big night, Obama calls a press conference to bash Palin.

That should be instructive to anybody attempting to decipher the character of the two men.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:28 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

at least 60+ people in America now believe that the media is doing its damndest to hurt Palin and elect Obama.

It's more like a vast left wing conspiracy to vilify Palin and elect Obama.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:29 pm
@Foxfyre,
Bull ****, Fox. The RNC released a new ad last Thurs., and played it incessantly in swing states. McCain's surrogates spent the whole day bashing him. Where do you come up with these lies?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote: ". . . her speech was very effective amongst Republicans. I doubt anyone else felt that way though."

Speaking of feelings, with each speaker at the Democrat National Convention, I became more inspired with hope for our country. At the conclusion of DNC, I was overwhelmed with positive feelings. Although they don't wear lipstick, and they may not be the "hottest, sexiest" candidates from the "coolest" states, both Obama and Biden inspired the people of this nation to rally together for positive change.

The tone of the Republican National Convention, however, was much different. It was dreary. The only time the lackluster crowd showed any excitement was when the party's newly-minted attack dog, wearing lipstick on a sneering mouth, delivered the party's message of divisiveness and hate.

With respect to feelings, this partisan race for the presidency boils down to HOPE vs. HATE. And while hope is eternal, I believe hate has a limited lifespan. I believe the people of this country have grown weary of the Republican politics of hate.

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:32 pm
@Debra Law,
Democrats are THE party of HATE.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:36 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

No they aren't. They're just the party that has most of the people who do and who are willing to scour the bottom of the bottom to damage anybody they don't like and don't care whether or not it is honest or decent or ethical.

Debra thinks the GOP convention is depressing. I'm quite sure she does. If I was a Democrat I would be thinking that too, though she again gets it wrong about what direction hate and hatefulness is coming from.

But please people, let's discuss the pros and cons of the GOP convention and leave the pissing contest for another thread. Okay?

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:38 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

No they aren't.

Yes they are, but I'll move beyond that and discuss the pros and cons of the GOP convention.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:39 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

No they aren't.

Yes they are, but I'll move beyond that and discuss the pros and cons of the GOP convention.

Thank you. ((hugs))
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:39 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

No they aren't. They're just the party that has most or all of people who do and who are willing to scour the bottom of the bottom to damage anybody they don't like and don't care whether or not it is honest or decent or ethical.

Debra thinks the GOP convention is depressing. I'm quite sure she does. If I was a Democrat I would be thinking that too, though she again gets it wrong about what direction hate and hatefulness is coming from.

But please people, let's discuss the pros and cons of the GOP convention and leave the pissing contest for another thread. Okay?

Thanks for the even-handedness, but I must say -

Quote:
This came as the Obama campaign gave First Read a chart noting that of the 14 GOP convention speeches -- by Palin, Bush, Giuliani, Romney, Lieberman, Huckabee, Fred Thompson, Carly Fiorina, Meg Whitman, John Boehner, Norm Coleman, Michael Steele, Michele Bachmann and Jo Ann Davidson -- there were zero mentions of the words "middle class," "Social Security" and "college," and just one mention of the words "housing" and "unemployment." By comparison, these speakers made a combined three mentions to Obama's community organizing.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/04/1349004.aspx

No real discussion of any of the problems we face from the Republicans. This is a serious knock on their convention. No solutions have been put forward. Obama was criticized endlessly for having no substance, but heck - the Republicans have him beat on the empty words.

I suppose the fact that Obama is leading by 15-20 points on the economy issue might have something to do with it. You would think that the Republicans would have at least tried to fight back, but they haven't, at all; instead focusing on smearing Obama and exulting Saint McCain as some sort of uber-hero.

Cycloptichorn
old europe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:41 pm
@Foxfyre,
More than 60 peoplebelieve that the media is trying hurt Palin and elect Obama?

Very Happy

Seriously, though... I don't understand that reaction of going after the media when they report bad news. There seems to be this tendency to instantaneously jump to the conclusion that the media is biased whenever a certain party or politicians from a certain party are criticised. I don't get that. It's a purely emotional reaction.

I mean, it's absolutely valid to look at studies, to evaluate what the press is reporting, etc. But that's not exactly what people are doing. They look at the negative headlines about their candidate, and immediately start whining about the "biased media".

Forgetting, apparently, that until very recently there was more negative reporting about Obama. By the very same biased MSM.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Anybody who hasn't heard these Republicans talk about the problems we are facing simply hasn't wanted to hear. Every single one of them has listed them and, from what I am informed, McCain will lay out the game plan to deal with them tonight. The difference is that the Republicans aren't whining and playing victim and moaning and groaning and hand wringing and doing a Chicken Little impersonation, so those who think that kind of thing is necessary in order to deal with problems almost certainly have missed it. (That would certainly apply to most of the MSNBC staff these days who make no pretense of being fair, balanced or objective these days and who do not pretend not to favor Obama.)

And it is almost a given that the Democrats and Republicans will disagree in places as to what the problems actually are and what the cause of those problems is.
old europe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:45 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
They're just the party that has most of the people who do and who are willing to scour the bottom of the bottom to damage anybody they don't like and don't care whether or not it is honest or decent or ethical.

- Obama is a Muslim
- Obama isn't a US citizen
- Obama is connected to terrorists
- Obama is a racist
- Obama hates the United States

etc. etc. etc.

You're blind if you think there are just people on one side doing this.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:49 pm
@old europe,
I said most, not all OE. And a whole lot of that came from YOUR side too when they were trying to get Hillary to the top. An interesting discussion to have on one of the many MANY bash somebody threads out there. But here, I would like to discuss the GOP convention in progress and the response to THAT.
old europe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:55 pm
@Foxfyre,
What's your metric for assessing that there's a greater number of people on one side than on the other? I'd really like to know...

Hey, look, I'm not denying that there's a lot of stuff about Palin at the moment. But that also has to do with the fact that she's a virtual unknown. A lot of the stuff out there is just simply research, stuff that is coming out, and that's coming out in a couple of days rather than spread out over months.

I think there's enough stuff about McCain or Obama or Biden out there to match what's currently being reported and written about Palin.

---

But alright. Back to the topic....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:00 pm
@Foxfyre,
Let's see - on one hand, we have you, who asserts that the issues we face problems with have been discussed.

On the other, we have someone who actually went through all the speeches, and found out that the words used to discuss those issues weren't spoken at all. How do you discuss the housing crisis without using the word 'housing?' How do you discuss college costs without using the words 'college?'

I'm sorry, but your response is not credible. The Republicans have NOT gone into any depth about the things we face here in America - and it will hurt them.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Well, from a entirely personal perspective, as a Conservative I heard all the words. In my opinion Conservatives use different, non victim, non doom-and-gloom language to describe things. Conservatives are much more likely to see problems as challenges to overcome. The Democrats seem to use problems to blame somebody and tell the people they need government to save them. That is usually not the GOP way. (Admittedly the GOP has swung far enough left we have seen some of that in their rhetoric in recent years, but hopefully they haven't completely corrupted themselves.)
ebrown p

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:33 pm
@Foxfyre,
You make me laugh Foxfyre...

The constant Conservative whining about the "liberal media"...
The dire predictions of social breakdown if their morals are broken...
Even the silly cries of sexism now because people point out that Palin supported the bridge to nowhere (before she opposed it).

Conservatives seem to constantly be whining about this or that.... when they aren't making frantic warnings about the "gay agenda" or "welfare moms".

I even heard that Katrina was due to a very angry Republican God.