OK, I admit it. Sarah Palin is a great pick!

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:02 am
After reading the arguments here, I can no longer support my skepticism of the wisdom of the Palin selection. It was clearly a genius pick that will ensure a Republican victory in November. These were the facts that convinced me.

1) America is swinging to the right. It is very clear, most Americans are far to the right of McCain or Obama... in fact the candidate who wants to keep the war going, to ban abortion and to lower taxes on corporations will win.

It is a race to the far right that will win over Hillary supporters and independents. The choice of Sarah Palin (over Hutchison, or Pawlenty or even Romney) shows that McCain clearly understands this.

2) Sarah Palin is as experienced, intelligent, and presidential as Barack Obama. This is not about leadership and talent, it is about counting years doing various things.

Democratic partisans want to pretend minor things like expertise in Constitutional law, the ability to articulate clear positions on important issues and the ability to project leadership and vision for millions of Americans are important. But they won't admit that other than these things, Palin has nearly everything Obama has.

As the campaign wears on, it will be very clear that Sarah Palin is just as presidential as Obama.

3) Sarah Palin is a woman. Hillary supporters want to vote for a woman, and vote for a woman they will. Abortion doesn't matter, economic issues don't matter. Women will flock to Palin who (other than positions, background, policies and experience) is exactly like Hillary.

18 million votes is no small matter.

Of course it is unclear that her gender has anything to do with it. Mitt Romney, Tim Pawlenty, Tom Ridge; come on! Gender aside, do you really think that these guys would have been good choices compared to all of Palin's clear advantages?

Yes, yes... with this game-changing pick, the Democrats are doomed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 35 • Views: 15,270 • Replies: 252

littlek

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:04 am
@ebrown p,
A little sarcastic, perhaps?
ebrown p

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:06 am
@littlek,
Me???
dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:10 am
@ebrown p,
Oh yeah....YOU.

0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:12 am
@ebrown p,
Well I was going to vote for Biden but e brown convinced me. I want to vote for someone who isent a D.C. clone so I will vote for Palin.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:21 am
I know there are some vocal Hillary holdouts. But, just how many will really vote for McCain? I supported her long after the writing splattered like diahrea on the wall, almost to the point where she conceded. But, Obama is the only logical choice left to anyone with half a brain.
Lash

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:30 am
Haha, eBrown. You have to be careful with sarcasm. You just converted a vote to the GOP. lmao
0 Replies

Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:34 am
LOL I stand by my prediction that Palin won't withstand a week's worth of scrutiny and will drop out or be dropped from the ticket. That said, I would be happy with this right-wing nutjob staying on.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:37 am
@edgarblythe,
There was a nice stash of evangelical voters for the taking.

Palin's candy for that baby.
sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:41 am
@ehBeth,
I'm not sure.

I'm seeing a lot of discomfort with the fact that she has a baby -- a high-needs baby at that -- and she's taking on this responsibility.

The people who are happiest with the pro-life, Christian, creationist parts of her also seem most likely to be dismayed that a mother would make this decision.
Lash

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:42 am
@sozobe,
That's sorta sexist, Soz I guess you're laying the sexist thought process at the feet of evangelicals...
sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:44 am
@Lash,
I agree!

That's kind of the point.

The evangelicals ehBeth is talking about DO tend to be the more sexist, traditionalist types, though. Do you disagree with that? Focus on Family, etc.?

(I'm not saying what I think -- I'm responding to ehBeth's assertion that Palin will gain a significant number evangelical votes for the ticket.)

edit: oh, you edited. Before it was ended after "sort of sexist."
squinney

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:44 am
@Lash,
That's because the pro-life, Christian, creationist part of the vote she is supposed to get actually thinks that way and is sexist. Not that sozobe is. She's just pointing out their thought process.
Lash

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:47 am
@squinney,
I edited to clarify that, squinney.

I think that's more wishful thinking by the Dem machine. I think GOP evangelicals will pay back McC's nod to them (Palin) with votes.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:57 am
@sozobe,
The evangelicals were out in force on Larry King et al last night. Verra verra happy folks.

Quote:
As a correspondent for the Christian Broadcasting Network reported Friday, evangelical leaders literally hugged each other "in joy" when Palin's name was announced.
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/sunday/la-oe-rutten30-2008aug30,0,2288193.column

she could bring quite a few voters out.

on the upside - for an observor - it makes for a more interesting campaign. on the downside - for anyone on the planet with the U.S. - she brings frightening potential to the McCain campaing.

Quote:
Palin has been governor for two years in a state where politics are hard fought but small scale. There's no telling how she'll perform on a national stage or how she'll deal with the size and appetite of the press corps. But if she can find her footing, she could be a formidable advocate for the religious right's social agenda, particularly when it comes to abortion.

The Democrats left Denver with an abortion problem that's been given far too little attention in the mainstream media. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's inexplicably incoherent attempt to reconcile her Catholicism and pro-choice voting record on "Meet the Press" last Sunday has provoked a torrent of condemnation from bishops across the country. Some of those denunciations probably will resonate with the socially conservative, white ethnic Catholics who are disproportionately concentrated in large swing states such as Ohio and Pennsylvania.

If she's adroit enough to do so, Palin can raise the abortion question with an authority no candidate for national office has ever had.In mid-April, she gave birth to her fifth child, a son she chose to deliver knowing that he would be born with Down syndrome. She told the Associated Press that she and her husband had discussed the prenatal diagnosis but that "we've both been very vocal about being pro-life. We understand that every innocent life has wonderful potential." In other words, the antiabortion camp finally has a candidate who not only talks the talk but walks the walk.

She also brings an interesting tinge of Alaska's blue-collar, frontier libertarianism to the social agenda debate. Although she supports the teaching of creationism in public schools, Palin thinks it should be presented alongside, rather than instead of, evolution. "Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both," she said during her gubernatorial campaign. "I say this too as the daughter of a science teacher. ... Don't be afraid of information, and let kids debate both sides." Similarly, although she opposes same-sex marriage, as governor she vetoed a bill that would have denied benefits to the partners of gay state employees.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:57 am
@Lash,
I agree Lash.

The Evangelical Christian vote won't be going to the Democratic candidate this year.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:58 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

The evangelicals ehBeth is talking about DO tend to be the more sexist, traditionalist types, though. Do you disagree with that? Focus on Family, etc.?

given what I saw when I was channel-flipping last night, I'd say the Focus on the Family gang is deeelighted.
Lash

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:59 am
@ebrown p,
...and I don't think the Hillary Women will be going McC....
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 10:01 am
@ehBeth,
That's why McC had to find a jazzy, anti-abortion creationist, NRA woman...I think the GOP got the mooseburger bunch as well....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 10:22 am
@ehBeth,
Oh yeah, the talking-heads types are.

The actual Focus on Family people are.

That's definitely baseline... and those are people who would have voted for McCain anyway.

What I'm talking about is voters -- I think Palin brings out some of these and sends others away.

Random anecdote (I've seen more from people IRL -- my M-I-L for example, who was previously leaning McCain, is not pleased):

Quote:
No sooner did my best friend hear about the Sarah Palin pick than I received an e-mail from her. It said simply: "Sarah Palin is a Bad Mother!"

I was at work but could not resist giving her a call to follow up. She told me that she was watching CNN and heard that Ms. Palin had 5 children and that one was only 4 months old and born with Down Syndrome. "How in the name of GOD, can she even think about leaving her child or taking her child on the campaign trail for 70 days?" She was indignant.

Let me tell you why My best friend Liz matters. She is 37 years old and Catholic.

There will be polls soon enough to show some of this stuff... probably about a week before we get anything meaningful.