OK, I admit it. Sarah Palin is a great pick!

Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 10:32 am
@sozobe,
This is Harriet Miers all over again. This pick won't survive a week.
Quite magnanimous of McCain to give us a gift on his birthday!
0 Replies

Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 10:45 am
Oh jeez my bad. I just found that she has SIX YEARS of executive experience, she was the "Governor" of a state with the population of Columbus, Ohio and before that she was mayor of a hamlet of 9,000. And half of those are Caribou.

She is FULLY QUALIFIED to be a heartbeat away.

NASM regrets the error.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 12:11 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
... and those are people who would have voted for McCain anyway.

I think you're quite mistaken in this area. Even the posters at the food boards I go to are getting excited about this. The only ones who have been upset (on those boards) about the 'baby issue' are a couple of fairly left-wing Canajun posters. The more conservative American posters had been posting about not voting, and what that felt like. They've swung around 180 degrees - along the lines of "now here's someone we can vote for". They are excited.

As I' ve posted before, this has created a much more exciting campaign to watch. I'd anticipated Obama/Biden being able to start moving forward with virtually no opposition. This makes it interesting.

The other upside (for an observer) is watching how the Obama supporters (on those boards) are now talking about getting out to canvass/campaign. That's also exciting.

~~~~

and on a completely unrelated note, we've just heard that a Canajun federal election is about to be called. We'll have the election call, the campaign, the vote and time to get back to watch more of the U.S. campaign. Different strokes, eh.
sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 12:16 pm
@ehBeth,
I agree it's exciting!

The numbers are starting to come out -- I haven't seen it broken down by religion yet, but women seem to be less impressed with the pick than men.

I'm sure there's a lot of variation amongst religious people. My main assertion is simply that I don't think that the fact that Palin is an evangelical necessarily translates to evangelicals voting for her. I've seen hesitation.

That includes that many evangelicals will vote for her of course. But then a tack to the right alienates McCain's more moderate supporters, too.

Earliest numbers seem to indicate that about as many people say Palin makes them more likely to vote for McCain as say that Palin makes them less likely to vote for him.
Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 12:27 pm
@sozobe,
Assuming the new Harriet Miers doesn't drop out or get dropped, this will cost McCain as many voters as he gains.

Miers, oops Palin showed an incredible lack of judgment boarding an 11 hour flight after her water broke in Texas especially considering she was a month early and high risk (Down Syndrome baby)

Who would want a person with that kind of incredible lack of judgment "a heartbeat away?"

This is most incredibly stupid VP pick in modern political history.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 12:32 pm
@sozobe,
I've been wondering what the selection of Palin is going to do to voters in the U.S. who'd not been impressed with McCain or Obama because they were both too far to the right.

Does that make them vote for Obama - look elsewhere - what?
sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 12:35 pm
@ehBeth,
... I can't imagine that Palin would impress voters who think Obama is too far to the right.

So probably they'd just vote for Obama (who may be too far to the right for you but is definitely less to the right than McCain) or vote third-party or write in or not vote.
Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 12:45 pm
@sozobe,
I can't imagine any of this, that anyone smart enough to figure out how to register to vote would vote for this woman to be a heartbeat away.

I am still in shock (but extremely happy) that this woman was picked. It is going to be a shame though that the first woman to be picked as VP of a major party will only be dropped after a week or two.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 12:48 pm
@sozobe,
They're definitely not going to go to Palin. That wasn't even in the discussion.

I'd like to see them voting for Obama rather than a third party or not vote, as I think that's the only route to a positive outcome. Oh well, I'll keep on looking.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 01:28 pm
I always had the impression this election was between McCain and Obama. All these twists and turns can confuse most Americans, because we're easy to confuse. LOL
LionTamerX

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 01:36 pm
@Not a Soccer Mom,
Roxxanne wrote:
Quote:
I am still in shock (but extremely happy) that this woman was picked. It is going to be a shame though that the first woman to be picked as VP of a major party will only be dropped after a week or two.

The second woman VP nominee actually. Remember Geraldine Ferraro ?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 01:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
no way...McCain picked her, this is all about his Judgement, which does effect our evaluation of his fitness to lead. In my opinion he is a whisper away from senility, this pick in but one of many reasons to rule him out as a contender.
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 01:52 pm
Are you people so blind as to not realize Sarah Palin has effectively sewn up Alaska's three electoral votes?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 02:01 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Haha, oddly enough, I don't necessarily think that's true.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 02:26 pm
Ha! I just realized who Palin reminds me of: Peggy Hill
http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/king-peggy-hill6.jpg http://livingalaska.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/sarah_palin2.jpg
Debra Law

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 02:29 pm
@Not a Soccer Mom,
Not a Soccer Mom wrote: "LOL I stand by my prediction that Palin won't withstand a week's worth of scrutiny and will drop out or be dropped from the ticket. That said, I would be happy with this right-wing nutjob staying on."

As many others have surmised, perhaps Sarah Palin is McCain's "Harriet Miers." LOL

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 02:33 pm
@Debra Law,
there is a recklessness about this pick that reminds me of the Miers pick...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 02:38 pm
All of you have to be wrong! All the pundits on TV are saying Palin is the perfect pick for McCain. She has "experience" and governing while Obama doesn't. That's she has a BA in Journalism prepared her for the VP of the United States of America. That's what "opportunity" is all about in the good 'ole USofA.

Oh, and BTW, there are 670,000 people who live in Alaska, and at least 25 percent have a college degree. That makes Palin more than qualified for the VP slot.
JTT

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 02:41 pm
Perhaps the Repubs should bump Sarah up to presidential candidate, stick Joe L in as vp and dump McFipflop.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 02:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
so what, the pundits have a nearly perfect record of being wrong about this election cycle, they are as a class out of touch with the nation.