OK, I admit it. Sarah Palin is a great pick!

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 02:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye, I've already said many times that McCain is senile and forgetful. Since about 50 percent of the voters of this country wants him as our president, who are we to argue? We've lived with Bush's incompetence and chaos for eight years, what's four more years - when we're on the verge of bankruptcy?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 02:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
They're not only out of touch, but are a bunch of idiots who have lost the skills of real journalism. I think that started about five years ago when they all became Bush's media.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 02:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I highly doubt that McCain will win, but the fact that he even has a chance is the fault of the America masses....they have much to answer for, for this and many other instances of poor judgment and/or lack of interest in matters of importance.

Edit: as I said in another thread this week, American journalism is dead. It was corrupted by the corporate class, was not defended by the people, and withered.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 03:16 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
There was a nice stash of evangelical voters for the taking.

Palin's candy for that baby.

Maybe not. Many evangelicals believe women should not be in positions of leadership. They base it on the letters of Paul.
JTT

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 03:22 pm
@Green Witch,
I didn't see any letters from Paul. What thread were they in?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:44 pm
@Green Witch,
That would be what a true, Bible-believing Christian thinks. Evangelicals take the parts of the Bible they like and leave off the rest. They'll ALL vote for her. They feel the Palin pick is McC's penance to them...and they bought it.
JPB

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:04 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Ha! I just realized who Palin reminds me of: Peggy Hill
http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/king-peggy-hill6.jpg http://livingalaska.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/sarah_palin2.jpg

heh!

Perfect.
littlek

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:04 pm
@JPB,
Yeah, except I think I like Peggy better.
0 Replies

Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:54 pm
@littlek,
Umm....hows about Tina Fey?

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/video/070730/tina_fey2.jpg
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 03:17 am
the guy that cuts our yard is pro-life, religious and likes to hunt.

i hereby nominate him for office of the vice president of the united states of america.

this stuff is so stupid as to be unbelievable.

hey, gang! let's all move to iran so that we can live in a theocracy sooner!!

guess the uber-christies are makin' up for lost time. having taken so long to hose down a founder like thomas paine and alla that.

in the mean time, i say it's high time to impose tax liability on the christian pyramid scam.

preachers wanna dictate governmental policy? then kick out the change, rev.

no? then shut the hell up on the subject.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 04:26 am
The Buzz About Sarah

From First Read:

From Chuck Todd, Mark Murray, and Domenico Montanaro
*** The case for Palin: For McCain, the biggest thing Sarah Palin brings is buzz. It's something the campaign has been seeking for some time. In fact, it has bothered Team McCain that it doesn’t get the same "gee whiz" kind of coverage that Obama gets. Palin changes that discrepancy -- for now. She also helps McCain re-introduce himself as a change-reform candidate. Palin's whole shtick in Alaska is reformer; it's what got her into the governors mansion. Indeed, the Palin pick may signal that the McCain folks have concluded that "experience" as a message isn't a winning one, even though they spent the entire summer developing that argument. So they are hoping Palin helps redefine GOP ticket as change. What's more, she brings a historical first to the McCain campaign. And finally, there's Palin's gender, which the McCain folks hope reopens some of the Clinton-Obama wounds that the Dem convention seemed to heal.

*** The case against Palin. The biggest negative about the pick is that on its face, it looks like a political gimmick, a political calculation. And McCain's supposed to be anything but a calculating or gimmicky pol. Indeed, as the Los Angeles Times wonders, isn’t McCain supposed to be the guy putting “country first” and not playing politics? The fact that McCain doesn't know Palin and spent all but a couple of hours getting to know her before making his pick is going to invite A LOT of judgment criticism. The perception is going to be that McCain panicked and wanted to do something radical to shake up the race. Well, he may have shaken up the race, but at the cost of undermining his best asset: that he was ready to lead. This decision doesn't look like it was well thought out, even as Palin has made a tremendous first impression.

*** The vetting question. Just how well was she vetted? There's going to be a race to define Palin, and while the McCain has bought time by shocking the world with the pick, there's going to be a lot of interest by the press to dig around in Alaska. And this “Troopergate” story is perhaps just the beginning. What's more, since she isn't well know, any little thing could get blown up pretty quickly.

*** The age factor: Did anyone notice that there were more mentions of McCain's age yesterday than we've seen in months? Sure, yesterday was his birthday, and the VP pick was always going to serve as a reminder that McCain was seeking to become the oldest first-term president in history. But McCain's age has been an under-the-radar negative for him for some time (just check out any recent poll on the topic). Palin -- being an absolute unknown -- is going to get put through the "is she ready to be commander in chief?" test a little bit more than your average VP pick, simply because of McCain's age. And the more focus there is on McCain's age, the more political danger the campaign faces.

*** The bottom line: Palin has made a good first impression. She appears to be very engaging and has a great story to tell. But her pick signals that the McCain camp wasn't happy where things stood with this race, despite their public posture and their standing in the polls. And they felt the need to throw the long ball. The good news for McCain: Palin will have low bars for every moment she's on center stage (her speech yesterday, her convention speech on Wednesday, and her debate with Biden). But wow -- is this a gamble! Then again, McCain loves to gamble, he's actually someone very fond of dice games, and there's no doubt he's rolling the dice with Palin. A word of warning to Dems, courtesy of Peter Hart: Don't get overly gleeful about all the downsides of this pick. If anything, realize McCain may be falling in a 20-year pattern of shocking picks that end up not backfiring, like Spiro Agnew in '68 or Quayle in '88. Palin may actually be the GOP's destiny. Go figure.

*** Obama’s response ad: The Obama camp is up with a TV ad arguing that while Palin might be McCain’s VP pick, McCain’s real running mate is President Bush. The ad goes: “Well, he's made his choice. But, for the rest of us … there's still no change. McCain doesn't get it, calling this broken economy ‘strong.’ Wants to keep spending ten-billion-a-month in Iraq. And votes with George Bush 90% of the time. So, while this may be his running-mate … America knows this is John McCain's agenda. And we can't afford four more years of the same.”

The Dems are wasting air time and goodwill trying to run against Bush. Bush isn't on the ticket....

Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 07:55 am
Everyone seems to miss the obvious advantage to Palin; being how she is a "real woman" and not a "feminist" congress will be able to reduce the VP budget by %20
snood

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 08:01 am
@dyslexia,
Very Happy
Good one, Dysmeister
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 09:28 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Evangelicals take the parts of the Bible they like and leave off the rest. They'll ALL vote for her.

Evangelicals have adopted more from Paul than from Jesus. As much as they love her stance on abortion and creationism, the fact that she is female disqualifies her as someone who can lead a nation.

I will have to look around for an article I saw a few years ago that researched women and power. A result of the study showed the only group who overwhelmingly felt a woman should not be President also described themselves as evangelicals.

Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 09:59 am
Any woman who has the balls to board an eleven hour flight after her water broke just so her son could be born on Native Soil is OK by me.

Sarah, you GO girl!
littlek

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:32 am
@Not a Soccer Mom,
You're really thinking this is a good thing? Or is this sarcasm again?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:40 am
from an Alaskan newspaper "Juneau Empire"
Quote:
She has more experience catching fish than dealing with foreign policy or national affairs
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:42 am
McCain's pick of Palin to be VP shows many things; 1) McCain's judgement is very bad/poor, and 2) he contradicts his own charge against Obama a) not ready to be commander in chief, and b) foreign relations experience.

What happens when Palin gets that call at 3AM? Is Palin ready to become the president of the US? Says who? What's her qualifications? Compared to who?

0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 12:21 pm
i can't help but think that there's more to this pick than meets the eye.

it could be something as simple as using her just to bug the democrats.

which in turn would allow the reps to use up air time defending her instead of talking about issues.

in any case the choice is more than a little bewildering.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 01:10 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch--- Your posts in this area (Christians against Palin) are all wishful thinking. The net is filled with headlines like "Evangelicals ELECTRIFIED by Palin." That is the fact.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080831/pl_politico/13016

A bit:

First, though, they’re expressing their newfound fondness for McCain with their checkbooks. Since tapping Palin, the campaign has raised nearly $7 million online, according to McCain aides.

Most importantly for McCain, the two constituencies who are most energized by Palin just happen to be the twin grassroots pillars of the GOP: anti-abortion activists and pro-Second Amendment enthusiasts and sportsmen. Without these two camps making phone calls, stuffing envelopes and knocking on doors, Republican presidential candidates would severely lack for volunteers. They are critical to the health of the conservative coalition that has dominated Republican politics for a generation.

Republicans say the primary source for the passion can be found in Palin’s example and authenticity.