A good cry on the train

spendius

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 11:34 am
@farmerman,
hehehehehehe.

I knew you couldn't ignore me! I never shave you silly moo. Is your memory as defective as your resolutions. I have no mirror.

Been divorced have you? Well,well.

Very few men understand women. This leads them to create a false idea out of their experiences as a child. Usually of Christian women. Then they marry a pagan who isn't skint or frightened of lions.

And there's you lot on the ID thread trying to create a more paganised womanhood. You're off your trots.

Perhaps you might see now why the Footballer's Wives posts were on topic. That made Thelma and Louise look kittenish.

An ex-editor of Cosmopolitan went on telly to apologise for her part of the mayhem.

The senator from Texas was employing litotes when he spoke of "controversial issues."

I'd bet you wouldn't have written "dipshit" in the presence of ladies 40 years ago.
Foxfyre

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 11:43 am
@spendius,
Spendi writes:
Quote:
I'd bet you wouldn't have written "dipshit" in the presence of ladies 40 years ago.

Well of course he wouldn't. We ladies wouldn't have known what the hell that was 40 years ago.
spendius

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 11:54 am
@Foxfyre,
Very funny. Ha Ha Ha.
Foxfyre

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 12:03 pm
@spendius,
Even funner that we do know now. Smile
ossobuco

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 12:08 pm
quoting a lyric to a song I onetime loved -

Monday Monday, can't trust that day,
Monday Monday, sometimes it just turns out that way
Oh Monday morning, you gave me no warning of what was to be
Oh Monday Monday, how could you leave and not take me.

I hadn't understood it was a surprise, J. That was what happened to me too, although we stayed together for a while after that. I know it is hard for people to believe, the surprise part, but there you go.

You may start to appreciate the spare at the same time you mourn the loss.

0 Replies

caribou

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 12:27 pm
@Joe Nation,
I'm a silent-read-along-er. I'm an awestruck-at-your-writing fan.

You are amazing.
When I was watching the Olympics this weekend. The Women's marathon. I thought of your thread about your NY marathon. I understood so much better what it possibly felt like to run any marathon.
Thank you, Joe(for sharing)Nation

I'm sad for you. But I believe in you too.
Dominion Holding is a well known skill for you.
Hugs.

spendius

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 01:47 pm
@caribou,
caribou wrote-

Quote:
I understood so much better what it possibly felt like to run any marathon.

Not from watching one on TV you don't. The daily grind of twenty miles on roads for years and years with a back pack with six bricks in it in all weathers and watching what you imbibe and everybody thinking your nuts until you make the big time which thousands don't and having blood tests. And all skin and bones. And no let up. And when you win everybody wants a piece of you.
And the route was designed to show off the Chinese capital. And how clean and pristine it looked I must admit. It could almost put the thought into some people's heads that maybe they do do it better than us. It had had a blow-wave and full make-over.

I'm hoping that when it comes here in four years the marathon runners will have to wade through wrapping papers and junk-food cartons covered in tomato sauce and squashed half-eaten, battered imitation cod and, of course, it would be remiss of me to forget the used condoms. Have you seen what the Tour de France riders spear their way through?

If we can't have the streets cleaned up properly why should a bunch of stringbeans from the outside world come in and have it done for them. We are already $50 billion light as things stand. A legacy Mr Blair left his successors.

There's lots of other ways of understading a thing like a marathon.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 01:50 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxy wrote-

Quote:
Even funner that we do know now.

That's an inscrutable riddle Foxy. Are you a reincarnated Delphic oracle?
0 Replies

McTag

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:42 pm

I found out last week why the official Olympic marathon course is 26 miles 385 yards, or whatever it is.

It's not what you think.
McTag

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:54 pm
@Joe Nation,

Swiss woman.... white noise.... screaming despite cigarette in place

There have been fulsomer compliments paid, I'm sure

I guess you had to be there
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 03:19 pm
@McTag,
Mac wrote-

Quote:
I found out last week why the official Olympic marathon course is 26 miles 385 yards, or whatever it is.

It's not what you think.

Go on then Mac. Give us the griff on it. I might be able to win a few bets on it if you're right.
McTag

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 03:31 pm
@spendius,

When my pal asked me, I gave the stock answer which is "the distance from Marathon to Athens".

But apparently not.

In the first Olympic Games of the modern era, London 1908, the marathon course was measured from Windsor Castle (where their majesties were in residence, and wanted to see a bit of the action) to the White City Stadium (where the athletics events were to be held). And they decided on 26 miles, probably for partly historical reasons, see above.
But they only measured to the stadium gates, originally. They later realised the runners had to enter the stadium, and trot round to the finish line. And that was the extra 385 yards, which has been kept ever since.

I thank you.
0 Replies

McTag

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 03:44 pm
Or maybe it was Buckingham Palace, tho' my friend said Windsor.
How far is Windsor from London?
(edit)
I looked it up, 23 miles. Put in some squiggles, and that's it.
spendius

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 05:23 pm
@McTag,
They'll never pay out on that explanation Mac.

The finishing tape to be breasted by the toughest masochist is a fixed point. If you measured back 26 miles and 385 yards from there you could get all sorts of backdrops to the start. I think they would shift it to next to a rose-bed.

I doubt you would appreciate the difference Mac even if it was half a mile.

Have you noticed English being used on a lot of signs?
spendius

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 05:24 pm
@spendius,
I do find your naivety charming though Mac!!
farmerman

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 05:49 pm
@spendius,
Im glad that youve attended this thread spendi. You can observe and see what good writing looks like every time you take in one of Joes posts. Dont strain yourself sweetness, but with a bit of practice even you could become a beta minus writer.

Hows Joe doin ? anybody see im? I dont want he should do anything rash, we need every good writer we can muster, what with all the new Declarations and all.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 05:55 pm
@spendius,
SPENDI SAYS
Quote:
I knew you couldn't ignore me! I never shave you silly moo

I havent enabled the ignore feature yet. In the last A2k version, we had our own version and it was really nice to not have you keyholing around and scaring the little children.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 07:06 pm
@squinney,
The Half Marathon http://www.nyrr.org/races/2008/grandprix/queens_reg.asp is a ways over from my apartment. It's in Queens. Adventure for all and I'm buying dinner if you come to watch the two staggers from A2K. (I'm thinking I should start a running team with that name: the A2K Staggers. You know, stags stagging, staggering along. Maybe not.

And it's September 14th.

Maybe you should wait a couple of weeks....the 18 mile tune-up run is the 28th. Maybe I can convice Thomas to come over for that too. You don't have to do 18 miles, you can run as little as you want..... then we go out for margaritas.

Joe(i'm a bad man.)Nation
martybarker

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 07:10 pm
@Joe Nation,
Who's running with you Joe?? I can do a 5k, how about I run in Seattle and be there in spirit? Just did a sprint tri yesterday morning and hope to train for the Seattle half marathon in November.
You're an inspiration!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 07:15 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre: many thanks for these words. No one has any real idea how what they say or do will impact anyone else. I'm pleased to be your friend. You have no idea how many times I've quoted something you've said on these pages to people who have no connection to A2K, mostly as examples of clear conservative thinking. Something that around the West Side of New York is either a rarity or an impossibility.

Joe(Life is good. Life is hard. Sometimes it is good and hard.)Nation

0 Replies