Black Kids Called Monkeys, Obama Delegate Quits

Linkat

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:15 am
I agree with tread and others on this. I have spoken to other people's children before. One example, I was in an arcade with my kids. This kid about 8 comes up to me and asks me for some tokens. His parents no where to be seen - he didn't know who I was. Well he certainly got a lecture from me. I let him know how dangerous it was for him to speak with a stranger let alone ask one for something. But I didn't call him a monkey so I guess I'm ok.
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:25 am
As I said earlier, I think the ticket was ridiculous. That's not what I'm arguing.

The main thing I've wanted to point out is that the story has evolved since the original news item that started this thread. There's been a bunch of umbrage about how Obama's campaign kicked out this delegate -- when she hasn't been kicked out.

I do get why they would. It's dangerous, at this point, to neglect any situation that could possibly provide leverage. But even the worst-case scenario seems to be merely that lowly staffers asked her to leave, and accepted her decision when she said "no." <shrug>
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:28 am
I'd like to better understand the racism aspect of this issue.

The people who have identified themselves as white have chimed in that this is a pretty stupid charge/ticket.

The people who I know to be of AA descent have been strikingly SILENT about this issue. I'm curious to know their perspective on what this person said.
0 Replies

real life

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:33 am
McGentrix wrote:
It's because of what the word represents. I am certainly not comfortable saying "the N word", but I see no harm in members of the black community saying it. They have taken ownership of it and made it not so threatening.

Imagine you are a black guy living in the south and 6 white guys come and say "Hey nigger, where ya going?" That's certainly a very threatening sutuation as opposed to a black guy in East St. Louis having 6 black guys come and say "Hey nigger, where ya going?"

It's a connotation that has many meanings and it's just not something us white folk should be using. How the folks in the black community use it is up to them.

So if 6 white guys approached him and said 'where do you think you are going?' , would that be threatening?

Perhaps it would be perceived as such.

So which one of those words:
where
do
you
think
you
are
going

should be off limits to whites, so that we don't appear threatening?

I don't use the N word. Wouldn't do it. I think it's insulting no matter the context.

It's like calling someone a m*****f***** as a joke. It's not funny, no matter who uses it or how.
0 Replies

kickycan

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:36 am
real life wrote:
It's like calling someone a m*****f***** as a joke. It's not funny, no matter who uses it or how.

Especially to uptight assh*les.
0 Replies

real life

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:40 am
Is that the best ya got, kicky?

C'mon.

Use all those naughty words you learned in 4th grade. Make those years count.
0 Replies

kickycan

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:44 am
real life wrote:
Is that the best ya got, kicky?

C'mon.

Use all those naughty words you learned in 4th grade. Make those years count.

I can't, because some uptight assh*le might cry like a little bitch. Ooh, "bitch," there's another one for ya!
0 Replies

real life

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:47 am
Impressive. Do you still use flash cards, or have you memorized these?
0 Replies

kickycan

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:50 am
I've got them all tattooed on the underside of my nuts. Maybe if you're really interested I could dangle them over your face so that you might better learn them all.
0 Replies

real life

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:57 am
Clever boy. So that's how you reference them when needed, eh? Gives a new meaning to flash cards.
0 Replies

kickycan

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 12:00 pm
real life wrote:
Gives a new meaning to flash cards.

Nice one.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 04:13 pm
kickycan wrote:
I've got them all tattooed on the underside of my nuts...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

thanks bro, i needed that!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 06:09 pm
kickycan wrote:
I've got them all tattooed on the underside of my nuts. Maybe if you're really interested I could dangle them over your face so that you might better learn them all.

Would this involve monkey bars? :wink:

http://www.johnlewis.com/jl_assets/product/230176247.jpg
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 06:55 pm
maporsche wrote:
I'd like to better understand the racism aspect of this issue.

The people who have identified themselves as white have chimed in that this is a pretty stupid charge/ticket.

The people who I know to be of AA descent have been strikingly SILENT about this issue. I'm curious to know their perspective on what this person said.

Snood, teenyboone, as the only two members of AA descent that I know of on this board....would either of you give us an AA point of view on the racial aspect of this issue?
0 Replies

snood

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 07:36 pm
You'd be funny if you weren't so damn twisted, Maporsche. I mean, I just know you have no idea what is so repugnant to me about you saying "Give us an African American viewpoint".

You're funny, and pitiful, and something like a squashed bug in all your tortured thrashing about trying to look relevant.
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:15 pm
snood wrote:
You'd be funny if you weren't so damn twisted, Maporsche. I mean, I just know you have no idea what is so repugnant to me about you saying "Give us an African American viewpoint".

You're funny, and pitiful, and something like a squashed bug in all your tortured thrashing about trying to look relevant.

I think that was rather uncalled for.

I'm truly interested in your viewpoint on this issue. As I KNOW many others on this board are.
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:18 pm
Look, you two stop monkeying around now.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:23 pm
Don't monkey around with me, chai.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:24 pm
Ma, grow up...

RH

(I'm here all night, Jack)
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 08:27 pm
Chai wrote:
Look, you two stop monkeying around now.

I'm sorry. I think I'm asking a fair, valid question.

As a white person I'm sure we'd all agree that it is impossible for me to know how an African American sees America, especially with it's history of racism and the social injustices that still exist today (such as the disparity in jail sentences).

How else could I find out the POV of AA w/o asking them?
0 Replies