Black Kids Called Monkeys, Obama Delegate Quits

Chai

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 10:27 am
rabel22 wrote:
Does this mean the next time someone calls me a honkey, a term from the 50's or 60's, I can call a cop and have him issue them a ticket for whatever?

yes.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 10:34 am
this past week when at my gig a black girl kept calling me Opie... repeated enough to make it obvious it was being used as a slur... if I had called the police what do you think would have happened? Do you really think they'd have ticketed her or would they have laughed in my face?

Not like I'd have called the law over something so f*cking stupid..
0 Replies

Chai

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 10:43 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
this past week when at my gig a black girl kept calling me Opie... repeated enough to make it obvious it was being used as a slur... if I had called the police what do you think would have happened? Do you really think they'd have ticketed her or would they have laughed in my face?

Not like I'd have called the law over something so f*cking stupid..

She would have been carted away and caned.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 10:50 am
maybe in Texas Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:34 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
maybe in Texas Laughing

Alright - something for me to look forward to when I move.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:34 am
Simply guessing Butrflynet - she may have used monkeys to make light of the situation or make it less harsh while still letting them know it is not safe. I frequently use cute terms with kids (other than mine) especially when trying to get them to stop doing something. I often times call them sweety or honey. I could see with a boy though that I could possibly use monkey rather than honey.

It is so hard to tell unless you were there to hear the tone. However, even if there was an angry tone for whatever reason - it could be as one article said two cultures that genuinely hear one expression with two sets of ears. For the life of me, I would never associate calling a child a monkey as a racist term, but it doesn't mean that some one else would not have a different perspective.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:39 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Peachy, thanks for asking. Good to see you, dtom. How's life?

tis okay. my pop passed away in march, so i'm back in east tennessee wrapping up his affairs and clearing stuff out of the house.

been here a little over two weeks, with at least two more needed. ms. dtom, back in la la has voiced her concern that i might start liking it toooo much here.

an' she ain't too far off that i might. after all, driving is really, really a lot more fun here and i got the need for speed, ya know. Laughing

not ta mention that the fried chicken here actually tastes like... fried chicken !

Hey dtom, sorry to hear about your pop but East Tennessee is quite lovely. If you ever pop down to Atlanta give me a yell.
0 Replies

candidone1

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 12:17 pm
I have to agree with Set from a few pages back. Not her kids, not her tree, not really her business. Kids are kids and they have parents. Let 'em both do their job.

A few houses up from me, in the back alley, some kids were driking in their garage and an off duty cop came and harrassed them a bit for the garbage that was around them. Told them to clean their mess up (Mom and Dad's job) and they kicked the **** out of him.

I'm not saying it's right they did that, but come on...who's job is it to get in the face of a half a dozen drunk teens (of legal age) drinking in thier parents garage?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 04:56 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Hey dtom, sorry to hear about your pop but East Tennessee is quite lovely. If you ever pop down to Atlanta give me a yell.

there actually is a slight chance that i'll be in 'lanta as part of the wrap up bizness. if so, i will certainly get in touch. Very Happy
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 05:14 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Not her kids, not her tree, not really her business. Kids are kids and they have parents. Let 'em both do their job.

i want badly to agree with this... buttttt...

not all children have responsible parents. many have parents who not only are irresponsible, but really just couldn't give a rip.

some kids have both or a single parent who don't really pull in much scratch, work long hours, have 2 or more jobs, some parents just aren't outside. and on and on. so is alla that the kids fault?

kids are kids and they do stupid ****. because they are kids fer cryin' out loud.

should i just have looked the other way when the neighbor's girl dumped her razorscooter going down hill on our street and skidded along on her knees and broke her arm ?

i mean, after all, she ain't my kid. not my problem.

sorry. i have a hard time with that concept. if it was my kids, i would actually be thankful that the neighbors were all keeping an eye on each other's children. no matter what color they were. same or different.

frankly it says something to me about obama's campaign that they did not recognize these ideas and chose to instead tell the delegate to take a hike.

and where is his voice in all of this ??

so now, should the woman witness those same children being abducted or beat up, i reckon the first thing she should do is immediately walk back in her house, close the door and forget about it.

after all, Not her kids, ... not really her business. ... they have parents. Let 'em both do their job

sorry. that's not the kinda change i can believe in.
0 Replies

Chai

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:00 pm
I concur.

Kids drinking to the point of getting violent is one thing.

Watching out for your fellow man, and telling a small earthling to get out of that tree before you break your neck, is another.

There is of course a line one shouldn't cross as far as taking on the role of a parent, with children not your own. However, I don't see that line written in stone. Rather, it's a very hazy line.

Kid runs into the busy street?

I think we can all agree a responsible adult would yell out for them to get the hell out of the road. They wouldn't think "Let me go knock on the neighbors door, and advise them to come out and scream at their own kid."

Children do dangerous things at times because, well, they haven't learned yet. The parents teach them, but if they aren't immediately visible, and you feel the child could easily get hurt, we as adults should act as a temporary responsible party.

What if the parent came out and told us to mind our own business? Hey, if I honestly felt the kid was doing something dangerous, it wouldn't upset me in the least. I'm the adult, I can take someone telling me off, if I kept a kid from potentially hurting themselves by doing something foolish, I'd sleep well that night.
0 Replies

Miller

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:17 pm
real life wrote:
The fact that one can be fined for something like this ought to alarm everyone.

They'll fine a woman for something as stupid as this and yet let young kids shoot each other to death on the streets of Chicago.
0 Replies

real life

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 08:37 pm
Miller wrote:
real life wrote:

They'll fine a woman for something as stupid as this and yet let young kids shoot each other to death on the streets of Chicago.

If she had rapped it on a CD , could/would she be fined?

Why do blacks buy music by the millions with lyrics much more offensive than this?

Is there one standard of permissible speech if you are black, and another if you are white?
0 Replies

snood

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 08:48 pm
real life wrote:
Miller wrote:
real life wrote:

Why do blacks buy music by the millions with lyrics much more offensive than this?

Is there one standard of permissible speech if you are black, and another if you are white?

Factor in that most hard rap is bought by teenage whites, then please continue leading Sherlock.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 08:53 pm
I had never seen a white elephant( vegitarian like me)
nor a white HUMAN
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 08:54 pm
snood wrote:
real life wrote:

Factor in that most hard rap is bought by teenage whites, then please continue leading Sherlock.

so are cds by RaHoWa. so what's yer point, dude?
0 Replies

real life

Thu 10 Apr, 2008 09:23 pm
snood wrote:
real life wrote:
Miller wrote:
real life wrote:

Should black teens be offended by rap 'artists' who use the N word as frequently as possible?

If so, why do you think they purchase it?

(I think the question of whether white teens should be offended by it is a different question, don't you?)
0 Replies

nimh

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 06:50 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
some kids have both or a single parent who don't really pull in much scratch, work long hours, have 2 or more jobs, some parents just aren't outside. and on and on. so is alla that the kids fault?

kids are kids and they do stupid ****. because they are kids fer cryin' out loud.

should i just have looked the other way when the neighbor's girl dumped her razorscooter going down hill on our street and skidded along on her knees and broke her arm ?

i mean, after all, she ain't my kid. not my problem.

sorry. i have a hard time with that concept. if it was my kids, i would actually be thankful that the neighbors were all keeping an eye on each other's children. no matter what color they were. same or different.

Right on. Exactly. Thats what community is all about. And ya gotta have a sense of community if the country's not going to go to ****. It takes a village and all that.

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
frankly it says something to me about obama's campaign that they did not recognize these ideas and chose to instead tell the delegate to take a hike.

Maybe they did, but were just scared. There's such hysteria in the media about anything either candidate can be remotely associated with nowadays, I guess they just wanted to play it safe, even if that wasnt the fair thing to do.

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
and where is his voice in all of this ??

sorry. that's not the kinda change i can believe in.

Ummm... we're talking about some kind of local delegates. There's literally hundreds of them in dozens of states. You seriously think it's Obama's job to personally attend to any local spat that involves any one of them?

Thats a bit of a stretch... it's like saying it's Gen. Petreaus fault if some soldier somewhere unfairly gets dismissed because of some sort of unruliness.

This part sounds to me like you're just happy to find a stick to beat the dog with.

(The above animal-related metaphor implies no racial, ethnic, regional, gender or age-related insult... :wink: )
0 Replies

nimh

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 06:54 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
snood wrote:
real life wrote:

so are cds by RaHoWa. so what's yer point, dude?

That real life was framing the consumption of gangsta rap's offensive lyrics as a question about black people, when in reality it's mostly white kids who buy it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 11 Apr, 2008 06:58 am
Again, DID anyone tell her to take a hike?

Last I saw, she resigned, then decided no she wasn't going to resign, and the Obama campaign said "OK."

This is the latest I've found:

Quote:
Board member changes her mind about resigning as a Democratic convention backer

By Ray Quintanilla and John McCormick | Tribune reporters
April 10, 2008

Carpentersville Trustee Linda Ramirez Sliwinski, who sparked a controversy by calling two children playing in an African-American neighbor's tree "monkeys," will remain a Democratic convention delegate backing U.S. Sen. Barack Obama for president, a turnabout from earlier in the week.

"Ms. Ramirez Sliwinski is an elected delegate and we respect her decision to represent the campaign at the convention," Obama spokesman Ben LaBolt said in a statement issued Wednesday.

"It is clear that the incident was a misunderstanding," he said.

Ramirez Sliwinski did not return phone calls seeking comment. But Carpentersville Village President Bill Sarto, a key ally on the Village Board, said she told him Wednesday that she had changed her mind about resigning as a delegate to this summer's Democratic National Convention.

"She reconsidered whether that incident warranted her giving up an elected seat," said Sarto, who is also an Obama supporter.

Ramirez Sliwinski has vowed to fight the ticket.

Ramirez Sliwinski, the village's sole Hispanic trustee, has said she did not mean to offend her neighbors.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/northwest/chi-carpenter-trustee-both-10apr10,1,3211512.story
0 Replies